pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Internal sound connection on PC-5500
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Internal sound connection on PC-5500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
nybbler

For the sake of neatness and because enabling surround output disables the external line in jack (nice going ASUS) I'd like to connect to the internal line-in port instead. Is there a convenient way to do this (e.g. is the signal available from the other connector on the back of the card?)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

Not that I know of.

Rusty
Pinout for Break-in Cable
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
tzf

Hey, let's void your warranty, shall we?

You could solder an audio connector on the pc card.

Let's call the pins from the 8-pin miniDIN like this:
-------------
TOP of the card
-------- G
2 -- 3
4 -- 5
---------- G
6 -- 7
8 -- 9
-------- G
BOTTOM of the card (PCI edge connector)
--------------
the G's are the ground lugs on the 8-pin connector shell. The dashes are there just 'cause the forum here left-justifies.
please note: these are NOT the actual pin numbers on the miniDIN8, just a convention I just made up for discussion, to show you where to solder.
(I mean, they could be but it would be a giant, steaming coincidence).

Audio Ground: pins 3 and 9
Audio "tip" (perhaps LEFT): pin 6
Audio "ring" (perhaps RIGHT): pin 1

disclaimer:
1. My advice is: NEVER try to modify ANYTHING that you're not willing to throw away, like a nice, new HD-5500 card.
2. I take NO resposibility for your lack of skill at soldering. You might kill your nice new HD-5500 card and it ain't my fault!
3. Like I said above, if you do decide to solder something on your nice, new HD-5500 card, it will PROB'LY VOID your WARRANTY!

Gee, wouldn't it be nice, and in the spirit of OSS, if you guys at pcHDTV were to give us a wiring diagram for the break-in cable, including the real pin numbers on the 8-pin miniDIN and where they land on the PCB? No? Well, I can fantasize anyway... aaaahhhh.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

The HD-5500 has an internal 8-pin Mini-DIN receptacle? Something that a plug like this would fit in: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300256.pdf
Keep in the mind that the receptacle and plug are mirror images of each other. Here a datasheet for this kind of receptacle: http://domino.kycon.com/Pub_Eng_Draw/KMDG-xS-BS%20Series.pdf

That will tell you the pin number for both connector part, and the pins that attach to the PCB. You can find these connectors in the Mouser catalog on pages 983 and 984.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
tzf

No no, I'm sorry if I caused confusion. the miniDIN is the one the provided cable plugs into. Where it is soldered into the circuit board, a slightly adventuous soul could solder an audio wire. So the little lame ASCII diagram above is my rendition of what the solder joints look like, and which ones (my mutimeter informs me) carry the audio, the same audio that goes to the breakout cable.
Now pretend that you just read my disclaimer again. Good, have at!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

I think I understand what you mean. It has an external 8pin mini-DIN connector, and a breakout cable with audio out and some other functions? Yeah, soldering to the back would be pretty easy. You could also do what some cases have for their front-panel connectors, and just have a cable that connects to the external connector like normal, and then loops back inside the case through a bracket with a hole in it.

It too bad there isn't an internal audio out on the card, it would only cost a few cents.
Internal sound connection on PC-5500
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup