pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> An Hd tuner card...w/o HD inputs?!
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
An Hd tuner card...w/o HD inputs?!
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote
coolsnowmen

I was really excited to find such a supported linux HD tuner card, but when will there be support for HD inputs like Composite/HDMI (think Xbox 360 PS3)
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
GrepTar

Never, because it is a tuner card, not an HDTV resolution mpeg encoder card.

The xbox 360 does not have high def inputs, as far as I have seen.
Re: An Hd tuner card...w/o HD inputs?!
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
croy

coolsnowmen wrote:
I was really excited to find such a supported linux HD tuner card, but when will there be support for HD inputs like Composite/HDMI (think Xbox 360 PS3)

You are confused about what the Xbox 360 and PS3 offer. They both offer Composite/HDMI OUTPUTS to the TV. They DO NOT offer inputs for capturing HD signals. There is no affordable solution out there that lets your capture Composite/HDMI feeds into a computer. So make sure you understand this before saying such untrue statements.

The pcHDTV HD-5500 captures OTA and QAM-unencrypted high-def transmissions to your computer. You then need to get a video card that supports output to HDMI or component. (Both are available. You can get a DVI-HDMI adapter or some newer cards have component out cables nowadays.) I have my PC setup to use the HDMI port on my HiDef cable so I know it works.

Cheers.
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
tupari

HDMI is something that is supposed to prevent HD signals from being recorded on their way from a HDMI compatible dvd player to the HD tv set. As such HDMI input will never* be supported, because HDMI was specifically designed to prevent you from using a card like this.

*never = at least until DVD Jon cracks it for us Wink
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
coolsnowmen

Its obvious i was completely mis understood, let me be morespecific.
I don't have the space for a nice tv, but I have an xbox 360, It would be nice to be able to play it on my computer useing the hidef cables...

The configuration would be
XBOX 360 -> HD_Tuner card -> Computer -> Nice 19in Computer LCD.
I do this now with my play station through the Svideo port on my ATI tv wonder.
PS2 -> Tuner card.....

Why did I meat such strong opposition to what seems like a straightforward idea?

GrepTar, I was talkiung about outputs
as far as being an 'encoder card', my knowledge falls short, is my ati-tv tuner card an encoder? and if so, why can't this card also do it for hd.

Croy, I know PS3/Xbox360 offer outputs. I want to play them through my computer (in linux). I (obviously) know very little about hd standards, I was just looking at the specs and the input ports the pchdtv tuner card had. I shouldnt have put hdmi, whoops.

tupari, got it

So, will this card let me hook up my xbox 360 to it will the resolution my friends get when he puts it on his plama tv? If not why not?, and if so, what was a i missing, it seems like it doesnt.
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
GrepTar

Sorry, didn't mean to sound opposed.

The only job of these types of cards is to take the already compressed data off of the airwaves and put them on your PCI bus.

The equipment needed to go from live video at HD resolutions to that compressed stream is very expensive (I think in the 10-20 thousand dollar range).

So, unless you pay a good bit of money on the hardware, the live uncompressed video coming off of your xbox is not going to get into your computer.

Could you just get a 19in LCD that has 2 inputs? One from the xbox, one from the computer?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
coolsnowmen

So is it just the HD has such a higher bandwith X the refresh rate of a non-broadcasted (local) source that the PCI bus/ card couldn't easily handle it?

If thats it, thanks GrepTar, I guess should have thought of that...And I'll make sure to get and lcd with 2 inputs....Maybe picture in picture...

Perhaps pciexpress could do it?
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Jim

The hd-3000 is an rf ota hdtv tuner card...
Too many acronyms..letters to beginners confuse things.

OTA means Off The Air(waves). If you are not too young, or live in out of the city, you used to use an antenna to get tv channels..2-13 and 14-83 in old analog tv days.

Now, OTA digital and HDTV is being broadcast in the airwaves, for free, but you need an HDTV OTA card to receive digital tv.

Once you are receiving the digital tv signals, you need to watch them on something.

You are using a computer, so you would have a hd-3000 card to receive ONLY digital channels off an antenna.

Now you need to show the picture.

You will need to have a video card, chipset, platform, whatever is in your computer to show a picture.
This is what will output to component, dvi, hdcp(heaven forbid),vga etc.

Bottom line pchdtv card gets stuff off the air, your computer processes it in whatever manner needed, then your separate video card outputs the correct signal to whatever you are watching tv on...monitor of your pc, a plain old tv, plasma/dlp/lcd with INPUTS that take the OUTPUT of your video card....Sorry for using so much space.

bottom line, you get great stuff with your pchdtv tuner for free off the air..try pbs nova etc. antennaweb.org shows what you can get..MUCH better quality than directv, cable most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:25 am Reply with quote
croy

coolsnowmen wrote:
Its obvious i was completely mis understood, let me be morespecific.

Well, I reread your fist comment and you must get an award for cryptic text. And your second post is nearly as cryptic, except for the comment.

coolsnowmen wrote:

XBOX 360 -> HD_Tuner card -> Computer -> Nice 19in Computer LCD.

Ah well, at least I think I finally understand what you want to do.

****You want to play your Xbox 360 or PS3 on a computer LCD monitor in HD.****

Short answer:
Buy a computer LCD monitor that has an HDMI input in it and that supports HDCP. (Or component, but I have not seen any computer LCD monitors with this type of input.) They exist, and they are more expensive than just a plain jane LCD PC panels with VGA/DVI inuts.

Long answer:
You will not find a component or HDMI input PCI capture card anytime soon to do what you want to do. The PCI bus can most definitely handle the bandwidth requirements but it will likely never ever be built anytime soon. Lawyers in the US will ensure nothing like this ever gets built for fear of video piracy.

The new High Def DVD players coming out only use HDMI out as this is an -encrypted- connection between your player and your TV. It is illegal according to the DMCA to try to defeat this encryption. Selling a product that defeats this encryption would certainly be breaking the law in the States.

HDMI also can also incorporate HDCP (Hi Def Copy Protection) where the HDMI device will only talk with an approved types of device. So amazingly enough, you could hook up your HD DVD player with an HDMI cable to a LCD screen with an HDMI port, and if it the screen does not have HDCP, the HD DVD player will refuse to send a signal! (And this has happened with some PC LCD screens with HDMI ports do not have HDCP.)

I would suggest saving up for a new monitor that has HDMI and HDCP. This is the only way you are going to be able to do what you want anytime soon.
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

croy wrote:

Buy a computer LCD monitor that has an HDMI input in it and that supports HDCP. (Or component, but I have not seen any computer LCD monitors with this type of input.)

Does the xbox 360 require HDCP?
croy wrote:

Long answer:
You will not find a component or HDMI input PCI capture card anytime soon to do what you want to do. The PCI bus can most definitely handle the bandwidth requirements but

The bandwidth of uncompressed HD video is around 100+ megabytes/second. This is too much for PCI. PCI-X or PCI Express could do it, but not PCI.

The real problem is not capturing the video, there are cards that can capture HD component video. Very expensive, but not insanely so. The problem is what do you do with 100 MB/sec of video data. That would eat up 100 GB in about 15 minutes. Mutli-terrabyte RAID arrays are still not cheap. Hardware to do real-time compression of HD video isn't cheap at all, that's the stuff that costs 10-20 thousand.
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
croy

xyzzy wrote:

Does the xbox 360 require HDCP?

I have no idea. But I suggested this as the HD DVD players do, so if they are going to go through the hassle of buying a new monitor, they should at least get something that will support HDCP to future-proof the monitor a bit if they ever want to add another device in the future.

Besides, I'm pretty confident that the PS3 will definitely incorporate HDCP as it will also be a HD DVD player out of the box.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
kb7oeb

Can you go from component to VGA? I'm pretty sure you can convert VGA to compenent. Maybe it would require RGB support on the xbox?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Sameikid

yes, i think so... Smile

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics