pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> xenoLinux and mythtv
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
xenoLinux and mythtv
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:59 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

I'm now forced to try this again. My PSU just died in my wintv working system tonight.

My bigger machines don't have older type slots which is why I wanted to use this (HD5500) card. I don't want to hose yet another of my systems by messing about inside the kernel. I have one whole system that has yet to be repaired, and now a second dead by PSU failure. I'm not ready for a 3rd. Can I get some testing here to know if this:

v4l-dvb-98ac15495b57.tar.bz2

Works on a fresh system. OpenSuSE 10.1-xen/AMD64-smp no updates, it's purely an internal network system.

I'm not ready for a "should work", again.

Last edited by animefreak3 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:19 am; edited 3 times in total
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

How about you buy me an ADM64 system, and then I'll tell you if it works?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
proudhawk

xyzzy wrote:
How about you buy me an ADM64 system, and then I'll tell you if it works?

if you are one of the developers, you'd already have one available to you through your workplace..
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
proudhawk

upon further thought...

it seems to me that the company needs to either provide the developers the equipment needed or stop marketing a device that *barely* works (when its ADVERTISED to work "out of the box").

its getting to the point where I am about to file a BBB complaint and follow it up with a complaint to the Utah State Attorney General for consumer fraud on the part of pchdtv.

now, I have invested a bit of time (and some money) into attempting to get my card(s) working and am getting tired of the run-around.

so, whats it going to be guys?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

What makes you think I work for pcHDTV? I don't. I've never said anything of the sort. Quite the opposite. Open source development is mostly done by volunteers. Unpaid volunteers. All I get from my work at linuxtv.org is resume padding. At this point I couldn't care less if you or animefreak3 figure out how to get your computers working.

You're going to file a complaint that you've had a hard time installing drivers for a some computer hardware? Somehow, I don't think that will get taken seriously. Under that standard 2/3rd of hardware purchases would probably result in complaints.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
proudhawk

xyzzy wrote:
What makes you think I work for pcHDTV? I don't. I've never said anything of the sort. Quite the opposite. Open source development is mostly done by volunteers. Unpaid volunteers. All I get from my work at linuxtv.org is resume padding. At this point I couldn't care less if you or animefreak3 figure out how to get your computers working.

unfortunately, you failed to make that clear. you alluded to development with pchdtv (and i know quite a few developers that are EMPLOYED by the companies they develop for. I was not given information that lead me to believe otherwise was the case here - A bad assumption on my part).

However, this does not mean that we, the purchasers of the device in question, have unlimited funds. Believe me when I say this: compared to my situation, you have it very easy indeed.

xyzzy wrote:

You're going to file a complaint that you've had a hard time installing drivers for a some computer hardware? Somehow, I don't think that will get taken seriously. Under that standard 2/3rd of hardware purchases would probably result in complaints.

its not just a hard time. in several circumstances, it was IMPOSSIBLE without expert help. the complaint would not be directed toward you in any case (and whatever made you think that anyway?). if you had bothered to read my note in the first place, you would have noted ONLY pchdtv mentioned. oh well. guess you failed to pay attention.

and, as I said in that note, I am only seriously considering the idea. I have yet to act on it, but, that all depends on what happens next. Frankly, I just want the card to work (as in FULLY FUNCTIONAL per design spec.).
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:30 am Reply with quote
animefreak3

xyzzy wrote:
At this point I couldn't care less if you or animefreak3 figure out how to get your computers working.

Well I will stop bothering you then. I had thought the buildlog I offerd you in the past would benefit you, but obviously not. Sorry to be pestering you. I'll go seek out my refunds now.

Good day sir.

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1608

PS. Might I suggest your hardware donations come from pcHDTV? ppc64 is getting cheaper by the day, and amd64 is common place now. With as high as their margins are, they can afford the charity, and the tax break.
xenoLinux and mythtv
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup