pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Sound connection
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Sound connection
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
Yippee38

I've got a pcHDTV-5500 that I'm trying to get working correctly. The one problem I continue to have is getting sound. The documentation that comes with the card indicates that I should connect the sound plug (off of the included svideo cable adapter) to my sound card to get sound. However, it doesn't say if I should be connecting that to a line-in port on my sound card, or a line-out port on my sound card. I'm guessing that it is a sound input on the pcHDTV card, since everything else on that connector is an input. That would mean that I should be connecting that connector to a line-out from my sound card.

Should I be trying to get sound output from my sound card, or from the pcHDTV card? In other words, which speaker out (from the sound card, or from the 5500) should I be connecting to my stereo's inputs?

Finally, I read in another discussion about enabling digital out from the pcHDTV-5500 card (if I could only find it again). If I do that, how should I connect the sound to get digital output? Do I connect it differently than I would for analog output? Can I get digital output from a non-HD signal? I've got digital cable, but don't know if that impacts the type of audio out available.

Man, I'm confused.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:46 am Reply with quote
Yippee38

Either nobody knows the answer to this question, or the answer is obvious to everybody but me. I'm having trouble getting any sound from this system, and since I'd rather not fry any hardware I want to make sure that I'm connecting things correctly.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote
iwantmyhdtv

Yippee38 wrote:
Either nobody knows the answer to this question, or the answer is obvious to everybody but me. I'm having trouble getting any sound from this system, and since I'd rather not fry any hardware I want to make sure that I'm connecting things correctly.

The stereo male plug is an output. It does into the line-in on your soundcard.

It's there as a kludge because the PCHDTV cards didn't have a DAC for NTSC sound, and so without this cable you would only get video without sound.

With the 5500 card, it isn't necessary anymore because the cx88_alsa driver lets you get the sound from the station digitally.

All of this applies to NTSC analog only, not to ATSC digital.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
Yippee38

Ok. So for NTSC analog, I don't have to connect anything except my output from my soundcard to my stereo. Right?

What's different for NTSC digital? In that case do I have to use the output cable from the pcHDTV card to the soundcard?
Sound connection
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup