pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers -> No signal displayed by dtvsignal
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
No signal displayed by dtvsignal
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
mechanic

Hello,

I have many questions. Let's take them one at a time. First let me say that I have an HD-3000 in an AMD 64 system running Slackware 10.2 and kernel 2.6.15. The kernel sees the card as many drivers are loaded for it.

Per the instructions that came with my HD-3000 I first try to run
Code:
dtvsignal /dev/dvb0.demux0 (some-channel)

with no signal displayed for any channel I choose. (I realize my dev names are screwed up; I think it's due to an old version of udev, but that's the least of my worries right now). A look at dmesg shows no firmware being loaded. Then, try running
Code:
dtvscan /dev/dvb0.demux0 > ~/.xine/channels.atsc

The firmware gets loaded, but the channels.atsc file is empty. Go back to dtvsignal: still no signal.

Yesterday I succeeded in getting some video through xine, but now I forget what I did! I must be short on sleep. I'd like to get this all working properly before I get Myth set up but it's seems very complicated. I was working on this several months ago viewing many posts on this forum but gave up in frustration. I see the state of things isn't much improved. It would be very helpful if there were one or two step-by-step guides for newbies that were sticky (can this forum do the sticky posts?) By the way, the search feature on this forum is terrible.

Another question. Do I need to use any software in linuxtv-dvb-apps, or should I be able to get by with what's in dvb-apps? And speaking of linuxtv-dvb-apps, what exactly do the zapping apps do? ie: what is zapping?
Thanks,
Tim
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:09 am Reply with quote
waterhead

I agree, it is awfully difficult to search for meaningful help with this forum. Stickies on posts that describe setup prcedures is an excellent idea.

There seems to be an attitude that you need to try the card first using the different apps before tackling MythTV. If you are have troubles, this may be true. But, I have set up MythTV with my HD-3000 card on several versions of Fedora, and most recently, SuSE 10.0. I NEVER use any of the apps, and directly install and set up MythTV. I have had very little trouble with scanning and viewing channels with MythTV.

You just need to verify:
that the firmware is in the correct folder
that drivers are loaded (you have the /dvb directories)
(there maybe something I'm missing, I'll think about it more)

I haven't tried slackware, so there may be peculiarities that I'm not familiar with. That is why I first selected Fedora to set everything up. There is a track record with the pcHDTV cards and the Fedora distros, and setting up and getting help with problems is much easier.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
No signal displayed by dtvsignal
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers