pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers -> pcHDTV 3000 cx88-dvb driver = No such device or address
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
pcHDTV 3000 cx88-dvb driver = No such device or address
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Krellan

Hello. I have a pcHDTV 3000 card, and am trying to get it working. I'm using KnoppMyth R5D1 for testing.

I haven't made a full KnoppMyth install, because I want to make sure the card fully works before committing a box to it full-time. So, I'm using the commandline testing tools on the KnoppMyth bootable CD.

Analog (NTSC) with xawtv = Works. I can tune channels and watch analog TV. So I know my TV card and antenna are not DOA.

Digital (ATSC) with xine = No channels.conf file. I can't create a channels.conf file, because the tools all give me the "No such device or address" error when running.

I'm using /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0

Module loaded is cx88-dvb, which loaded without errors. The last 2 kernel messages are DVB registering the adapter and frontend for Oren OR51132, which seem correct to me.

Here's details of the testing tools I tried. All were done as root, so there were no permissions problems.

Both atscscan and dvbscan give the same results: No such device or address. No more errors appear in dmesg.

The file used with atscscan and dvbscan: /usr/local/share/dvb/scan/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB

Tried a few other numbers and devices, still the same error.

So, I tried downgrading to the older V4L standard.
Tried to run the dtvsignal and dtvscan utilities.

I modprobe -r cx88-dvb, and modprobe cx8800. This is different from instructions elsewhere: there is no cx88-atsc anywhere on this version of KnoppMyth. However, the cx8800 module seems to load happily, and now I have a working /dev/video0 device.

Old instructions seem in need of an update: there is no more cx88-atsc module and /dev/dtv0 device. Instead, there is the cx8800 module and /dev/video0 device.

Running dtvsignal, it now works without an immediate error.

However, I get 000 for *all* stations! I don't think it's reading anything correctly. Analog NTSC television worked with "xawtv", so I know that my TV antenna is hooked up and seeing some signal.

Downloaded new versions of the ATSC utilities, here on pcHDTV's download page.

Bizarre: Now, instead of getting a signal reading of 000, I get a signal reading of 205385! This is way above 100%, and obviously bad/corrupt data. The signal reading never varies from 205385, BTW.

Went back to DVB. Did modprobe -r cx8800, and modprobe cx88-dvb. This loaded correctly, according to dmesg.

I tried using the new "-dvb 0" flag to make dtvsignal and dtvscan DVB-friendly, since the new versions from pcHDTV can do this.

No dice. Still, the same "No such device or address" error, as I got with every DVB utility I tried before.

Can anyone help me out with this? I can post more information if it would be helpful.

Short summary: ATSC works, V4L DTV gives garbage results, DVB fails to be recognized at all.

Thanks!
Josh
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Did you put the card's firmware in /lib/hotplug/firmware or /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware? If you didn't, the card will appear to be dead like this (trust me on this one). If this is the case, put the firmware file in the hotplug firmware directory, reload the modules and you'll see much more encouraging output from dtvsignal.

The firmware is available on the pcHDTV download page at this link.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Krellan

Scott Larson wrote:
Did you put the card's firmware in /lib/hotplug/firmware or /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware? If you didn't, the card will appear to be dead like this (trust me on this one). If this is the case, put the firmware file in the hotplug firmware directory, reload the modules and you'll see much more encouraging output from dtvsignal.

Yes, the firmware is there.

On KnoppMyth, the firmware files are already in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. I downloaded them anyway from pcHDTV, and the files are byte-for-byte identical.

Is there any kind of way I can know that the driver is "seeing" the firmware? I don't see very many messages in dmesg at all, either to the success or the failure of loading the firmware and getting the card running.

Anything else I can try?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

After you try to tune to a channel, you should see a message like this:
Quote:

or51132: Waiting for firmware upload(dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw)...
or51132: Version: 10001134-19430000 (113-4-194-3)
or51132: Firmware upload complete.

That's for the VSB firmware for over the air ATSC. If you are using cable, it should say the QAM firmware was loaded.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Krellan

xyzzy wrote:
After you try to tune to a channel, you should see a message like this:
Quote:

or51132: Waiting for firmware upload(dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw)...
or51132: Version: 10001134-19430000 (113-4-194-3)
or51132: Firmware upload complete.

That's for the VSB firmware for over the air ATSC. If you are using cable, it should say the QAM firmware was loaded.

Nice. That might be my problem. I am not seeing these messages.

I have the files available in the directory, though, and they look all right to me. This is on an unmodified KnoppMyth R5D1 CD. It's strange that KnoppMyth wouldn't be smart enough to set up the firmware loading by default, since it has a lot of firmware files and such, and appears to have all the udev stuff in order.

I tried reloading the drivers, but still don't see it talking about firmware upload.

What's a good way I can feed the firmware to the driver? It just doesn't seem to be making much of an effort to find the firmware.

I have the files in the right place, and they match what is available for download here at pcHDTV, but I just can't convince the driver to pick up the firmware.

Has anyone else gotten this card working with KnoppMyth R5D1?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

As I said, you have to try to tune to a channel to get the firmware to load. If the firmware fails to load, there will be a message about that too.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Krellan

xyzzy wrote:
As I said, you have to try to tune to a channel to get the firmware to load. If the firmware fails to load, there will be a message about that too.

I thought the dtvsignal and dtvscan utilities did that. I ran dtvsignal with a channel number, hoping that it would tune into that channel. Is there another utility that I have to run first?

BTW, the dtvsignal and dtvscan utilities I tried were the new modified ones from pcHDTV, that are DVB-friendly, not the old broken ones that come with KnoppMyth by default.
pcHDTV 3000 cx88-dvb driver = No such device or address
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers