pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> QAM working?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
QAM working?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote
aaronw

So far I am unable to get clear playback of any channel. All channels have playback problems whether I use Xine or MPlayer. I also used the capture tool for the pcHDTV card and MPlayer screws up playing the TS MPEG stream with the imfamous A52 CRC errors and screwed up video.

I am trying to view QAM material with a pcHDTV-3000 on my SuSE 10.1 (X86_64) system on my Athlon 64 3700+ system running on an nForce4 motherboard with an nVidia 6600 PCI-E graphics card. The motherboard is a premium ASUS motherboard and I have a good power supply on it.

On Xine I see MPEG artifacts. I can't comment on audio since I'm without speakers at the moment Sad

I have applied all the latest patches to the TS demuxer in the latest SVN version of MPlayer and it made no difference.

Signal strength is between 95-99%.

I also tried the latest SVN version of xine-lib. I have not yet been able to get FFMPEG to deal with the ts mpeg stream to try that as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used numerous tools to generate the channels.conf file and it seems to make no difference which tool I use.

All of the firmware is the latest. Note that I did not apply the HDTV patches to Xine since they should not really be necessary with the latest version as far as I can tell. I also am using the stock Linux kernel drivers provided with SuSE's 2.6.16.21 kernel.

I have Comcast service in Fremont, CA. With the set-top boxes I have very few problems and have a good signal.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:57 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

Try reading some of the threads here on QAM, the HD-3000 and nvidia, that should give you some ideas of what to look for.

Try capturing to a file from the console without X running, and then see if you can play back the file correctly.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
aaronw

If X is not running then everything seems to work as it should, however, that is not really much of an option for me, nor is using the nv driver rather than the nVidia driver. I have tried everything I can find both here and at nvnews.net (such as running the kernel without iommu) but none of them make any difference.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
aaronw

I did one thing which improved the situation but did not eliminate the problem. I moved the pcHDTV card over one PCI slot so it is as far away from the graphics and sound card as possible. I get less drop-outs but still see a fair number.

I am wondering if the pcHDTV 5500 card is better shielded and if that would work better or not?
QAM working?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics