pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> pcHDTV300 and a cable box
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
pcHDTV300 and a cable box
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
gregg

I have a sa3250hd box at home. I was wondering if it is possible to capture hd from the coax if I connect it from the cable box to the pchdtv3000 instead of capturing OTA. For example can I tune the pchdtv to channel 3 and capture whatever comes over the rf cable from the box, or do I have to know the frequency of the channel the box is tuned to?

-Gregg
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

Tuning the card to channel 3 will not get you HDTV; it will get you an analog copy of what your cable box puts out. The pcHDTV cards don't compress analog video so you would get large files. The Happauge cards can compress normal video but it still isn't HD.

To capture HD from your cable, you need several stars to be aligned, namely you can only record shows that your cable company sends unencrypted. You need to know what frequencies they are sending on (there are a number of programs that can help you here), and what coding scheme they are using; most cable is sent using QAM256, but some providers still have some QAM 64 stations, and there are rumors that some cable providers are actually sending VSB8. You should check with your cable company to find out what stations they are sending "in the clear" that you could receive without a cable box.

HTH,

Rusty
pcHDTV300 and a cable box
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics