pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics -> Are my expectations realistic?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Are my expectations realistic?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Kadin2048

Hi, everybody. I've been lurking in this forum for a while and doing some reading, but since I'm about to make a purchase I thought that I'd ask for a few frank opinions.

I'm almost set on buying the HD-5500; I have a variety of reasons for doing so, not least of which is wanting to get my hands on a tuner in the event that the Broadcast Flag becomes mandatory some day. (Kinda like the digital equivalent of owning a pre-ban assault rifle, but I digress.)

With that in mind, I'd like to know whether people think my immediate hopes to put it to use are realistic. Here's the setup: I have a Kubuntu Breezy machine (2.6.15-27-686) that I'd like to use. I have Comcast digital cable, and I'd like to receive the unencrypted QAM stations (the locals) plus the analog cable channels; the latter being fairly important to me since most of what I watch is up on the high analogs. I want to do PVR functions with MythTV.

Would anyone like to hazard a rough guess as to the level of effort required to get this working? Does anyone out there have a system like this that's operational (Ubuntu+MythTV working on both Clear-QAM and NTSC)? Am I going to have to change distros to get this working?

Like I said, I'm basically sold on the product already, but I'd just like to know what my expectations should be about what I can do with it straight out of the box, and how much work it's going to take me to get it working. If this is going to be a 50+ man-hour project, I'd just like to know so I can prepare myself for the long haul and not get too discouraged when it doesn't work out of the box.

Thanks very much in advance.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote
nybbler

I have an Ubuntu Dapper machine running with MythTV, Comcast unencrypted QAM and analog.

First thing you'll run into is you need new V4L-DVB drivers, either the ones from the PCHDTV CD or from linuxtv.org.

You'll need to turn off the DVB shutdown timer to avoid failure when switching from digital to analog.

On digital, you'll run into the fact that Comcast strips the program information. Which makes setting up MythTV a bear because you have to figure out the channel number to frequency mappings manually. This is with any capture card, though, not just the 5500.

On analog, the sound can cause problems, particularly with mythtv. I made a small patch to the cx88_alsa driver which fixes this. Or you can run the output of the 5500 to the input of your sound card.

You're going to need mythtv 0.20 to do both analog and digital.
Are my expectations realistic?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics