pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> HD-5500 on Gentoo Linux
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD-5500 on Gentoo Linux
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote
photonwave

Hello All,

I just received and installed an HD-5500 card on my Gentoo Linux box. If you're in a similar situation, here's what I did to get things working.

I upgraded my kernel (I use vanilla sources) to the latest, which is currently 2.6.17.13. Unfortunately the necessary DVB drivers are not in the kernel until 2.6.18.

I use genkernel --menuconfig ... and when I got to the : Device Drivers-> Multimedia Devices -> Video4Linux section, I turned off all of the DVB drivers. To repeat, do not compile any DVB options (frontend, tuners, etc.) as modules or in the kernel. To be safe, I also turned off all of the Video4Linux options as well (although that may not be necessary).

Then I rebooted with my new kernel (with no DVB support).

Next, I downloaded the HD-5500 drivers from the pchdtv.com website. and as "root" ran the make command to build the necessary DVB and v4l drivers. Then I ran the make install.

Next I loaded the dvb module :
Code:
modprobe cx88_dvb

Then I was able to tune the card and start watching shows!

Originally I tried building the kernel with the DVB option on and then building the pchdtv drivers aftewards. That resulted in many errors regarding invalid module format. I tried removing the modules from the /usr/lib/modules/2.6.17.13 subdirectories, but that still didn't work. Not building the DVB drivers in the kernel at all did the trick for me.

And, to the pcHDTV people, thanks for the terrific product! The HD-5500 is a great improvement over the pcHDTV 2000 that I originally purchased!

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup