pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Blank screen in mythtv, ntsc in tvtime
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Blank screen in mythtv, ntsc in tvtime
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
jbird1785

I have an hd5500 installed on a fresh ubuntu edgy and compiled the drivers on this site. Ultimately, I want both analog and digital channels working in mythtv. I believe the drivers were installed properly because running tvtime gives me channels 1-100(but without sound). I have comcast which uses QAM256, and by running dtvscan -q, I seem to get a few channels(seems to be about the number of unencrypted channels I expect to get). I went through the mythtv setup calling it a DVB card and everything installs fine, and seems to detect some channels(same umbers from dvtscan). However, going to "Watch TV" is a blank screen on every channel it detects.

Any ideas? Am I missing something? Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Do you have a EPG account set up? In the US use labs.zap2it.com .

Can you do OTA just to see if it's working?

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
jbird1785

Yes, I have an account on labs.zap2it.com, and mythtv pulls the channel information from it (looking at the result from the daily cron script). However, it doesn't seem to populate the names back into the detected channels. I may have missed a step.

Unfortunately, I don't have an antenna to test OTA. I'm not even sure if I would any broadcasts would reach me. I'm about 70 miles from the closest major cites. The signal from the cable is above 90 for all the detected channels.

Everything I've read online indicates that Comcast has to give the broadcast channels unencrypted. Is it possible that all of them are encrypted and thats why each channel is black?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

Comcast strips the VCT information from the stream, which is why the zap2it information won't link up to the scanned information. You should be able to tune to the scanned channels, though.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote
jbird1785

Is there anyway to get the information synced up manually? It would give more more clues as to what actual channels its detecting. Anything that will indicate where the problem is.

This whole process is a bit of a black box to me, so I'm lost on how to troubleshoot. Thanks for any help.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote
waterhead

In the mythtv-setup utility, open the Channel Editor. Is there anything listed in the channels section?There also is a transport editor section, anything in there? It looks like this is where you would manually input channel info, but I have never done this.

Also, I thought that you could import a channels file made with an external application (channels.config?). I've seen references to this in other mythtv posts. You sometimes can find one that is close to yours, and modify it. This is a common problem with comcast, so a search of the MythTV archives should give you some info.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote
nybbler

I think the easiest way (and I've never done it this way) is (in mythtv-setup) to set up a source with no grabber and scan the channels. Then in mythtv, manually go through the channels to figure out what they are. Then go to the channel editor in mythtv-setup and add the call sign for each channel (as listed at the Zap2It site). Then change the source to use the Zap2It grabber and run mythfilldatabase.
Blank screen in mythtv, ntsc in tvtime
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup