pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> ALSA sound problem with two pchdtv-5500 cards
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
ALSA sound problem with two pchdtv-5500 cards
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote
slioch

Hello,

I have two pchdtv-5500 cards and onboard sound (k8ngm2-fid)--but my problem is that the sound card is that alsa sometimes attaches to the wrong sound card on boot (to one of the pchdtv-5500 cards rather than the onboard sound).

The boot order (card assignment) is variable on boot. Alsa attaches to the first card in the boot sequence--so looking at /proc/asound/cards
shows:

[root@lrlart ~]# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [CX8801_1 ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
Conexant CX8801 at 0xf8000000
1 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xf3fd0000 irq 217
2 [CX8801 ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
Conexant CX8801 at 0xfc000000

I want the NVidia card as the first card in the sequence for sound to work.

Now, I had a fix when I had a single card. And that was to add the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf:

options cx88_alsa index=2

Which worked for the single pchdtv-5500 card, but with two cards the behavior has now reverted to a random order on boot. I've tried adding a second "options cx88_alsa index=3", but this hasn't worked--and I wonder if the cards need to be differentiated between in the options statement for this to work. I've also tried this as well:

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
alias sound-slot-0 snd-intel8x0
remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss; /sbin/modprobe --first-time -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0 install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }

alias snd-card-1 cx88-alsa
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
options snd-card-1 index=1

alias snd-card-2 cx88-alsa
alias sound-slot-2 snd-card-2
options cnd-card-2 index=2

But no luck either--has anyone on this list had a similar problem with two pchdtv-5500 capture cards? Any idea what to put in modprobe.conf to fix? Thanks all!

Mike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
old_skul

How about writing a boot script that performs a rmmod/insmod of the 5500 modules? That would be one way of ensuring those cards come up last.

I'm not terribly familiar with hardware booting, so forgive me if what I just posted is complete crap. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote
slioch

how would the kernel know which card/driver I'm referring to as they are both using the same driver: cx88_alsa? I think that's the problem if they had different driver names then I don't think I'd be having this problem.
Re: ALSA sound problem with two pchdtv-5500 cards
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

I think this is a general problem with v4l-dvb and maybe this kind of driver in general. You should see the results when you get an saa card and a cx88 card cross-numbered (so one is /dev/video0 and /dev/dvb/adapter1 and the other is reversed)... system locks solid in MythTV.

Anyway, the cx88_alsa parameter is an array parameter, so you can pass

options cx88_alsa index=2,3

to get the first two cards to come up as alsa cards 2 and 3. But I don't know any way to get the cards to distinguish themselves from each other (e.g. by PCI slot).
Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:40 pm Reply with quote
slioch

That is the solution!. Thanks much
ALSA sound problem with two pchdtv-5500 cards
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup