pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> TV playback of .ts files with Roku HD1000?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
TV playback of .ts files with Roku HD1000?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:33 pm Reply with quote
mk500

With the Roku HD1000 able to play back up to 1080i .ts files with fanless operation, I'm wondering if anyone has tried doing this:

1) noisy PC backend somewhere recording shows to disk with pcHDTV card
2) Roku HD1000 in living room playing back shows to HD set. Ethernet connection to backend box

With the Roku now available for as little as $279:

http://shopper.cnet.com/Roku_HD1000/4014-6505_9-30589007.html?tag=ob_50&orderby=50&sort=asc

Wouldn't this be a pretty inexpensive way to get to very high quality HDTV playback (since the backend PC could be pretty old and slow)? Anyone try playing back .ts files from pcHDTV card on the Roku?

This seems to give a lot of flexibility, as the Roku has a lot of different output capabilities (s-video, component, VGA).

I've spent a lot of time and money trying to build a box that is both powerful enough to play back 1080i content and quiet enough for my living room, and haven't really struck a good balance yet. I'm hoping something like this might be the answer.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
cheema

I too am interested in this.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

That sounds like an interesting little box that could solve a lot of problems. I'd want to read a review that actually said it could play 1080i smoothly. That review said it had trouble playing certain MP3 files which would make me want to wait a little while before getting one.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:05 pm Reply with quote
enone

I'm trying that right now. The Roku is close, but not quite there.

I've successfully played HDTV streams over both NFS and Samba from a fileserver in another room (over a wired 100Mbs connection). However, there seems to be a 2/4GB limit respectively for these mounts. Since a 1080i show is 8GB hour, one can't actually watch the entire show. Sad

What did play looked great, no lip-sync or jitter problems. The work around for this in the short term seems to be to cut up the file into several smaller pieces. (Although this isn't exactly compatible with things like the mythtv backend.)

The best video playing software is open source (CinemaSix). It plays the ATSC TPS streams well, but other MPEG streams often suffer lip-sync issues.

No real ability to play DVD VIDEO_TS folders on disk (e.g., DVD menus, etc.), although you can play the .VOB files (possible lip sync issues).

I'm waiting on a digital converter, so I haven't been able to test sound other than downmixed analog stereo (which works fine).

It's all open source and very hackable, which is nice. There's a contest coming to a close at the end of June for new open source apps. I'm hopefully that things will improve continue to improve.
Re: TV playback of .ts files with Roku HD1000?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
mk500

enone wrote:
I'm trying that right now. The Roku is close, but not quite there.

Wow, I was really surprised about the file size issue. You'd really think they would have thought of that when building a unit engineered for ATSC. Anyway, after your posting I found their mailing list and another forum and have been reading about the issues:

http://lists.rokulabs.com/pipermail/roku-tech/

http://rokuforums.myfreebb.com/

It still seems like a very interesting box....but I guess we need to see if Roku is going to step up and continue to support it as they should.

Have you tried streaming your files to the Roku instead of mounting the file systems? Maybe this might be a way around the size limitation?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:04 pm Reply with quote
enone

I'm trying the streaming right now using:

server side:

vlc -vvv myth/tps/The_Simpsons_\[Co-Dependents_Day\]_2004-06-27.tps --sout '#standard{access=http,mux=ts,url=your_machine:8080}'

(where tps is the raw ATSC file from the pcHDTV card.)

and using the new CinemaSix Beta to stream the "http://your_machine:8080"
the video works great and does seem to be get past the 2/4GB file limit.

However, there's no audio. Sad

If I send with vlc using the "mux=ps", I get audio but really choppy video and the CinemaSix crashes/hangs.

Audio plays fine when I connect with an another instance of VLC on a separate machine.

I've tried running the file through dtvstream and mux=ts and mux=ps without much luck.
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics