pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Question about the R/M port
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Question about the R/M port
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Jimbo

Hello,

I just got my hd-3000 today, and swapped out my old ntsc-only wintv card. I notice that the hd-3000 has a port labelled "R/M", and my old IR cord that I used with my wintv remote control fits perfectly in it.

Is it possible to use the old wintv remote control and IR cord with the hd-3000? I tried using my existing drivers, which, when I have my old wintv card connected, shows up as this in the kernel messages:
i2c IR (Hauppauge) detected at i2c-0/0-0018/ir0 [bt878 #0 [sw]]

However, I don't see anything like that with the hd-3000 installed. Is it possible to use a remote with the hd-3000?

thanks,
Jimbo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:04 am Reply with quote
wazzujoel

I cant answer your question. I was curious though, why did you swapp out your old ntsc-only card? I would think it would be much cooler to have the HD3000 card by High def only and then have your old card be your ntsc tuner only. that was you can record two shows at once.
re: Question about the R/M port
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Jimbo

Well, at the time I swapped out the NTSC-only card because I terminated my basic cable since it was not worth the price, and as far as I know all broadcast stations in my range broadcast digitally. I have little need to record one show while I watch another. Now, however, I have put back in the wintv card so I could use my remote control for music, DVDs, etc. My PCI slots are full, though, so I'd rather have the remote control working with the HD-3000 to have a free slot.

I notice that Gerd Knorr (the V4L/Linux TV card dude) has added support for remote controls to the driver for some cx88 cards. Just check out drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-input.c in a 2.6.12 Linux kernel.

I've searched the forums, but I haven't really found a satisfactory response to this question (maybe I haven't looked hard enough). What is the R/M port for? If the drivers do not support the port now, is it possible for them to support it at some point in the future? Or is the port not wired to anything?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:40 am Reply with quote
wazzujoel

I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was supposed to be a remote control upgrade option in the future. I doubt drivers have been written for it. I wonder why this question cant be answered for sure on this site.
Nothing yet on hd3000 remote control?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote
siasl

I have the same issue. A single slot via atx mobo running knoppmyth. Have the HD3000 working well with HD QAM-256 channels. Want to use the remote off the HD3000 card. Seems weird for a card that was sold as "hand & glove" with MythTV that the remote control aspect is not supported.
Question about the R/M port
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics