pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> new 5500 / no signal
new 5500 / no signal
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
gorelik

I recently received my new 5500. It works with analog NTSC, however I cannot get anything from dtvscan or dtvsignal.

Dtvsignal returns 0 for all the channels, and dtvscan goes like this:

Quote:

$ dtvscan -fx
dtvscan ver 1.0.4 - by Jack Kelliher (c) 2002,2005,2006
Attempting to open /dev/dtv
Opened FE:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 3
Opened DMX:/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0 4
Opened DVR:/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 5
channel = 2 VSB_8
channel = 3 VSB_8
channel = 4 VSB_8
channel = 5 VSB_8
channel = 6 VSB_8

without ever identifying any channel.

It also produces a lot of "cx88[0]/2: cx8802_timeout" in dmesg.

I am running a pretty recent 64 bit Fedora Core 6:

Quote:

$ uname -a
Linux ole.gorelik.org 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 #1 SMP Fri Nov 10 12:34:46 EST 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So, where do I go from here?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
jago

Are you on cable or over the air?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
yarrumretep

I have the same problem. Using the card off of a Susquehanna/Comcast cable. I have a digital set top box which receives the HD channels from the cable as well as other digital content.

I'm getting exactly the same problem - no channels detected using QAM or VSB. When I scan, I get lots of the "cx88[0]/2: cx8802_timeout" messages in my dmesg.

Using knoppmyth r5e50 - which included the driver. Was recognized during boot.

Am I missing something?

Code:
Linux media 2.6.18-chw-13 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 3 23:47:01 PST 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote
jago

Can you try:

Code:
dtvsignal -q 82

and see what it gives you?

Or other channels for that matter. I have comcast as well, and my rebroadcasted OTA local signals appear on channels 81 and 82.

Also, it's worth mentioning that my comcast set top box BLOCKS digital channels! So I split mine before it went into the box. Smile

I got a few timeout issues before, but they weren't 100% resolved. I was able to get around the problem because I found that my dtvsignal would change the channel, while getatsc could not.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
gorelik

jago wrote:
Are you on cable or over the air?

Over the air.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
tgice

Same problem as original poster. I get no dice on the simple command line dtvsignal or dtvscan.

Also, I'm noticing that my processor is going to 100% when running these applications! What's that about? It appears that my 2.6.18 (Gentoo) kernel loaded the drivers fine for the 5500.

Getting plenty of those "cx8802_timeout" errors in my syslog.

Also, I should mention that I'm trying to use the card with MythTV (0.20, actually an SVN a bit past that), and I actually have a bit more success with it in there than with the tools I d/l'd from pchdtv.com. The channel scan came up with a few channels and when I try to go watch live TV in MythTV, it starts to work, I see a good picture, but then immediately it goes to a blue screen, the audio starts stuttering, and from that point on I can no longer watch *any* video (including recorded SD programs) w/o getting that blue screen!

Any idea what could be going on here?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
tgice

Hey, I'm beginning to wonder if some of these problems I'm having with playback *might* have something to do with my x.org modelines. I was never quite sure with those and recently had a bunch of problems when switching to a new kernel & new Nvidia drivers on a 32" CRT (SD) Toshiba TV.

Might SD TV play back okay from PVR-250s with one modeline, but when I try playing back HD DTV from the 5500 w/ the same modeline things get squirreled up? Might that explain these lame blue screens I'm seeing on playback? I've got to believe that it has something to do with my Nvidia driver.

Also, I should mention I'm running the latest stable 2.6.18 in Gentoo (gentoo-sources). I think it's 2.6.18-r6 (might be -r5), and I believe I have all of my kernel options properly set for the dvb drivers (as I've already noted, dmesg looks normal and all of the devices get created at least, but I'm still having those odd problems I described earlier).
new 5500 / no signal
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup