pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Mplayer "a52: CRC check failed!" errors, any progr Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:34 pm Reply with quote
babazoid

dorphell wrote:
sonnik and the rest of you who are having similar issues:

If you just configure the 'troubled' stations to feed all PIDs, you will not have these issues.

I used to have the exact same problem as sonnik with fox (we are probably getting the same local fox station) and changing ~/.azap/channels.conf
to: WFXT:575000000:8VSB:8191:8192

solved my problem. I've said this before in one of these CRC error threads with the dvb driver yet no one seems to have heard me.

My $0.02,
Cheers.

Would you mind explaining how you go about tuning into and watching the channel after you have made this change?

I'll try right now and report back on my success.

ps. the channel in question that I'm attempting to tune has like seven virtual channels on it, they all have this problem:

GLOBAL-WIN:771000000:QAM_256:16:17:1701
CITYTV-WIN:771000000:QAM_256:20:21:1702
CTY-CAL:771000000:QAM_256:28:29:1703
GLOBAL-CAL:771000000:QAM_256:30:31:1705
CBC-CAL:771000000:QAM_256:32:33:1706
NTV-STJOHNS:771000000:QAM_256:36:37:1710
CH:771000000:QAM_256:34:35:1707

Any reason you have removed the last field from your azap config lines?

Also do you use myth at all? I'm having similar problems in MythTV.

UPDATE:

I just tried to add a test channel as you said,

TEST:771000000:QAM_256:8191:8192

and when I azap -r test it seems to tune however a cat of /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 produces nothing.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited by babazoid on Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quote
babazoid

small update:

i have an entry of

C120:771000000:QAM_256:0:0

I can azap C120 and then run dvbtraffic -- then i have the whole stream of 7 channels running through /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0.

I then try to use mplayer with the proper -vid and -aid, but I still get the same problems.

Mark
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
dorphell

With the player. Specify the pid on the player.

With mplayer, the easiest is to specify the tsprog

e.g. for me, I play fox with:
"mplayer dvb://WFXT -tsprog 3" but yo can also specify the audio video pids separately. For instance, my PBS PIDs are not lined up correctly so just using "mplayer dvb://WGBH -tsprog 2" gives me the right video but with the wrong audio so I run it with: "mplayer dvb://WGBH -tsprog 2 -aid 52". For neatness' sake, it might be a better idea to just specify the -vid and -aid instead of using -tsprog but for me, apart from PBS, all other stations line them up together so to find the right station all I had to do is try -tsprog 0, then 1, then 2, then 3, etc.

As for the last field... you can keep yours, it makes no diff.. at the time of when I initially configured my channels.conf I don't think that field was part of the format and since it works fine for me without it, I never bothered adding it.

As for Myth, no I'm not a Myth fan. I use Freevo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
babazoid

sigh.

none of this works for me. i'm getting very frustrated.

i'm starting to think the card has some serious QAM compatability issues with Rogers. i'd like to try another card, but don't have any cash at this time.

it's so frustrating that i can get clear video, but only by manually doing

azap -r [channel]

cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > test.ts

then

mplayer test.ts

that's the only way i've been able to see clean video at all from my HD3000.

sigh.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:41 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

sonnik wrote:
This is the fix Scott provided me:

Quote:

In libmpdemux/demux_ts.c, in function parse_pes2() look for this code:
Code:

else if ((p[0] & 0xF0) == 0x80)
    {
      mp_msg(MSGT_DEMUX, MSGL_DBG2, "A52 WITH HEADER\n");
      es->start   = p+4;
      es->size    = packet_len - 4;
      es->type    = AUDIO_A52;
      es->payload_size -= packet_len;

return 1;
    }

I've never seen an AC-3 packet with a header before but I think the header bytes are already gone at this point in the code so it's starting four bytes past the packet data. So take out the plus and minus fours:

Code:

else if ((p[0] & 0xF0) == 0x80)
    {
      mp_msg(MSGT_DEMUX, MSGL_DBG2, "A52 WITH HEADER\n");
      es->start   = p;
      es->size    = packet_len;
      es->type    = AUDIO_A52;
      es->payload_size -= packet_len;

return 1;
    }

This requires a build from source obviously. You may be able to get more information with a compile of mplayer with debug options (not sure what the compile notation is).

I submitted this problem (and hinted that this change would fix it) along with a clip to reproduce the problem to the mplayer-dev mailing list over a week ago. Naturally I was scolded for not using the diff options they like (I guess they have trouble following two line changes). Another poster (probably from here) veriffied that my change helped and also said he was having "a52: error at resampling" problems too. So far none of the developers have said anything about whether or not mplayer should be skipping those four bytes.

In an unrelated thread, one of their developers who's unfamiliar with the history of HDTV said that it sucks because it has interlacing and was designed by idiots. I thought it was odd for an mplayer developer to claim to know what good design is. This ignorant attitude to ATSC support is typical of the mplayer developers on the list and is why I'll probably switch back to xine.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote
nr

Hi Scott,

I was that other poster. I've gotten zero nibbles on the bug report I've posted.

Unfortunately I can't really switch to xine because my CPU doesn't have enough horses to display HDTV without XvMC support, and xine doesn't seem to provide that Sad I won't even talk about my experiences trying to transcode HD content for archiving on DVD Mad

Norman
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

xine definitely does support XvMC. Some of the XvMC code I put in mplayer to make it work better came from xine. If I remember right it's just an option you enable when you run configure, just like mplayer.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
nr

OK, I did some digging, and the magic is
Code:
xine -V xxmc ...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Oh xxmc. That's the Via or Unichrome version of MPEG acceleration, isn't it?
mplayer patch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
logistiker

Is the +4 -4 patch sufficient to fix everything or should I also patch with the return -1 that Scott suggested earlier? I've already compiled from source with the +4 -4 patch and I haven't gotten any CRC errors anymore. What I do notice is that sometimes when I go to load a stream, the audio doesn't load as well (sometimes happens on pbs hd) and if I were to stop it and restart it, then it loads and plays. Has anyone had this problem as well?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:09 pm Reply with quote
logistiker

I suppose I should also add that I'm using the Dvico Fusion Gold 5 card (atsc) on us-cable (QAM_256).
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
logistiker

I submitted a bug so this could at least get patched on gentoo:

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=118436
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

If you've been following the mplayer-dev mailing list (I don't recommend this!) you'll see that the major developers are busy arguing over creating a new container type but not so interested in solving small mplayer bugs like this one. A few months ago the developer in charge of this part of the code said he hadn't looked at our problem because he hadn't been getting anything from the list for two weeks (hey, I check my DSL connection if I go two hours without something from their list). He said he couldn't download the file someone posted and he completely ignored the one I still have posted. I'm a little surprised he didn't at least check if skipping over those four bytes was a mistake in the code.

Since this small fix solved most of my problems, I didn't feel like bugging him about it. I still have enormous problems when playing directly from the device with one station but I rarely do that. Normally I save everything to disk with dtvstream and mplayer never has a problem with those files.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
logistiker

I ran a few more tests according to some solutions on this forum. I noticed that the stream will play fine if you specify the video id and audio id in the channels.conf file. If you specify 8191:8192 and use aid/pid or tsprog, the video AND sound are screwed up even with the two patches made to the demux code. Is that the problem you're talking about when you say playing directly from the device?

Also, where do you get dtvstream? What package is it in? I've also read about dvbstream but I've never been able to find out where to get that either unless it's deprecated in favor of something else.

You know common sense would dictate that adding a new option (container type) would be extremely low on the priority list until MAJOR bugs like the ones with dvb streams were fixed. I have also dabbled a bit with getting mplayer to tune analog channels. It's fun when you find you have to use the v4l2 driver to tune (I have a dvico fusion 5 gold card) and you get the sound fine but only half the picture is shown and it's all screwed up too. Why can't they use the same code as tvtime? Tvtime works fine for me.

Are there any other media players which can play/capture dvb and analog other than mplayer or am I stuck waiting until they get around to fixing these bugs?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
sonnik

logistiker wrote:
I ran a few more tests according to some solutions on this forum. I noticed that the stream will play fine if you specify the video id and audio id in the channels.conf file.

Using which player? I did that method

Code:
KSAZ:605000000:8VSB:49:52

mplayer /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0

as an example, still produced the errors in question for me.
Mplayer "a52: CRC check failed!" errors, any progr
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics