pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> Can't do a channel scan in Myth w/HD-3000 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Can't do a channel scan in Myth w/HD-3000
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
fatbird

I have set up my HD-3000 and I can watch my local OTA channels with xine and mplayer but I can't get Mythtv to work. In mythtv-setup when I try to do a channel scan in the Channel Editor I get the message:

Code:
Failed to probe the card

When I added this card in the Capture Card settings as DVB0 I got:

Code:
Card Name: Could not get card info for card #0
Card Type: Sucess

I get the following messages in the terminal:

Code:
2005-11-10 14:56:01.920 DVB#0 DVB SI Table Parser Started
2005-11-10 14:56:01.946 DVB#0 Using DVB card 0, with frontend pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV .
2005-11-10 14:56:01.947 DVB#0 DVB Signal Monitor Starting
2005-11-10 14:56:03.608 Closing DVB channel
2005-11-10 14:56:03.621 DVB#0 DVB Signal Monitor Stopped
card detection error

My questions are:

Is the "Could not get card info for card #0" message normal?

Can anyone tell me why my card isn't being detected/probed?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

All I can think of is to check the permissions on your /dev/dvb/adapter0 files to make sure that your instance of Myth can access the device. Especially since mplayer and xine can access it just fine...

I haven't done much with myth other than try to amek it work once (which I thought was too much hassle and gave up.)

Rusty
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:50 am Reply with quote
fatbird

Rusty: thanks for the reply. I gave 'others' all the same permissions as 'owner' and 'group' for all the /dev/dvb folders and devices but it made no difference. If you don't use Myth what do you use?

Can anyone answer my first question -

Quote:

I would really like to know if everyone gets this message or if I should be trying to determine why I'm getting it.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
HDTVelectron

fatbird wrote:
Rusty: thanks for the reply. I gave 'others' all the same permissions as 'owner' and 'group' for all the /dev/dvb folders and devices but it made no difference. If you don't use Myth what do you use?

Can anyone answer my first question -

Quote:

I would really like to know if everyone gets this message or if I should be trying to determine why I'm getting it.

No, it's not normal, make sure mythbackend is not running when you run mythtvsetup. Also try this, modprobe -r cx8800 and modprobe -r cx88-dvb,
then modprobe cx88-dvb and modprobe cx8800, then run mythtvsetup & see if your card is detected then. Once it can get the card info for card 0 Ok, then you will be able to scan for channels.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:17 am Reply with quote
fatbird

HDTVelectron: Thanks for answering my question. Now I know that the problem is in the Capture Card Set-up section of Myth rather than later on.

I still don't know what the problem is though. I didn't think there was a problem with the modules themselves but to be sure I did exactly as you suggested and I still have the "Could not get card info for card #0" message.

Since the last time I tried Myth I have a new motherboard, CPU and RAM so that eliminates a lot of possible hardware problems. I'm guessing that there is either a problem with the HD-3000 (doesn't seem likely) or there is some small software or configuration glitch. If you or anyone else has any idea how I can determine why Myth can't read the card please let me know.

Left to my own resources the only thing I can think to do I start looking at the Myth code to see how it is trying to get the card info. Since my programming skills are mostly self-taught this approach is an act of desperation.
Re: Can't do a channel scan in Myth w/HD-3000
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
HDTVelectron

fatbird wrote:
HDTVelectron: Thanks for answering my question. Now I know that the problem is in the Capture Card Set-up section of Myth rather than later on.

I still don't know what the problem is though. I didn't think there was a problem with the modules themselves but to be sure I did exactly as you suggested and I still have the "Could not get card info for card #0" message.

Since the last time I tried Myth I have a new motherboard, CPU and RAM so that eliminates a lot of possible hardware problems. I'm guessing that there is either a problem with the HD-3000 (doesn't seem likely) or there is some small software or configuration glitch. If you or anyone else has any idea how I can determine why Myth can't read the card please let me know.

Left to my own resources the only thing I can think to do I start looking at the Myth code to see how it is trying to get the card info. Since my programming skills are mostly self-taught this approach is an act of desperation.

Your card is likely just fine, you said xine & mplayer let you view channels OK, so hardware is not likely a problem. How did you install myth ? from CVS, RPM's, compile from souce, or did you get a myth iso/distro CD like MythDora or something ? Also which Linux distro? I'm using FC3 & followed the Jarod Wilsons how to guide from his site, it's not to hard if your familiar with yum, he has a repository set up so you can just "yum install mythtv-suite". After that, you still have to setup your particular card & if your familiar with the DVB drivers it's not too bad. I find it easiest to upgrade the FC3 kernel from 2.6.9xx to 2.6.12xx or newer, just to use the DVB drivers that come with the newer kernel.

Only other thing I can think of for now is do an modprobe -r cx88-blackbird also, incase it's there. lsmod would tell you what modules are loaded. also maybe check permissions on the /dev/dvb/adapter0. Try running mythtv setup as root & make sure mythbackend is not running, it will grab the card when it starts. Once mythtv-setup see's that card, it's pretty easy from there, just get it to scan the channels.
Re: Can't do a channel scan in Myth w/HD-3000
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:52 am Reply with quote
fatbird

HDTVelectron:
I'm using Arch Linux with kernel 2.6.13. Mythtv was installed using an Arch pkgbuild script which compiles from source. This installation worked with my ATI TVWonder card for analog TV.

I just tried again:
    modprobe -rv cx88_blackbird
    modprobe -rv cx88-dvb
    modprobe -rv cx8800
    modprobe -v cx88-dvb

Change all permissions in /dev/dvb and all its subfolders and files to allow anyone to do anything.

run mythtv-setup as root (mythbackend not running)

I still get "Could not get card info for card #0"

At this point I think I need to find out how Myth tries to get the card info so I can determine what it is that's failing.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:04 am Reply with quote
waterhead

Quote:

Card Name: Could not get card info for card #0

I usually get this message if the backend is still running. To make sure that it's not running type in this:
/sbin/service mythbackend stop

I also have to enter this, in this order:
modprobe -r cx88_dvb
modprobe -r cx88-blackbird
modprobe -r cx8800
modprobe cx88_dvb

You also have to download your zap2it channels before it will let you scan for channels.

To eliminate access problems, I originally made sure it worked logged in as root.

Last edited by waterhead on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quote
waterhead

Another thought, it can't access that card if it's "busy". Another application may be accessing the card, making it unavailable.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quote
fatbird

waterhead:

Quote:
I usually get this message if the backend is still running. To make sure that it's not running type in this:
/sbin/service mythbackend stop

I have verified that mythbackend isn't running three different ways.

Quote:
I also have to enter this, in this order:
modprobe -r cx88_dvb
modprobe -r cx88-blackbird
modprobe -r cx8800
modprobe cx88_dvb

I have run the modprobes with the -v option to see what is being loaded/unloaded and run lsmod before and after.

Quote:
You also have to download your zap2it channels before it will let you scan for channels.

Already done.

Quote:
To eliminate access problems, I originally made sure it worked logged in as root.

See previous posts.

Quote:
Another thought, it can't access that card if it's "busy". Another application may be accessing the card, making it unavailable.

I was pretty sure the card hasn't been busy (I wasn't using it but who knows what my computer might be up to when I'm not looking) but to test it I ran mythttv-setup with azap running. If the card is busy when you select DVB0 you get the message "Device or Resource Busy", otherwise you get "Success". I've always (except that one time) gotten "Success" for DVB0.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. I've done all the obvious things several times and keep getting the same result. I need to try something different before I start to qualify for the rubber room.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I know that you had already tried some of the things I mentioned, I'm just relating what I have to do.

I don't recall if you tried moving the card to a different slot, or maybe changing the IRQ. Some people say that this helps. But yours works with xine and mplayer, so this probably wouldn't help.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled Linux and MythTV several times before I got a properly working set up. (I'm using Fedora Core 4) I wish I could be of more help, sorry.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:11 am Reply with quote
fatbird

waterhead: I appreciate the fact that you're trying to help. If someone takes the time to offer suggestions I feel I should make an effort to try them so I did reverify some of your suggestions yesterday. When I first set up myth I was starting the backend on boot. If I hadn't already stopped doing that your suggestion to explicitly stop the backend might have been just what I needed.

I haven't mentioned it before but I have also tried installing myth in Ubuntu and using Knoppmyth, neither of which worked so I dropped them in favor of the Arch installation which at least worked with my analog card.

I worked as an electronics technician for years and I learned that the "Try this" approach may work 90% of the time and is worth a shot but then you have to get out the test equipment, pull out the prints and take a more directed approach. What I'm getting at is I've spent many hours on this and I've reached the point where, as I said in an earlier post, my next step is to look at the code and try to determine how myth is trying to probe the card. It may be, for example, that myth is trying to read a file that is in a non-standard location on my system and I'll never find something like that unless I know to look for it.

Therefore, until I know differently, problem has changed from "Can't do a channel scan" to "Can't probe the card".

Thanks.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:21 am Reply with quote
waterhead

I was just looking through my setup screens to see if there may be something you may have missed. The only thing that I can find is in the General section.

For TV Format I have ATSC, and for Channel Frequency Table I have us-bcast.

Also for the IP address, if you changed it from the default, it may affect things.

It seems to me as there is something that you may have missed in your setup.
I used Jarod Wilson's guide to set up my system. If your not familiar with it, you can get it here:
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/ [url]
It may help you find out if you missed something. I couldn't have done it without it.

As for me, I'm no longer a Linux newbie, but I'm far from being an expert. Also, I just recently learned some Visual Basic programming to use with MS Office, and I'm 48 years old. Better late then never.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote
waterhead

Another thing, have you installed the firmare update? I installed the pchdtv-extras file. This package has the firmware, udev and other updates. Some posts say that all you need is the firmware, and that installing the entire package could make things worse.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:18 am Reply with quote
fatbird

waterhead:

Quote:
For TV Format I have ATSC, and for Channel Frequency Table I have us-bcast.

I've been using ATSC and us-bcast.

Quote:
I used Jarod Wilson's guide to set up my system. If your not familiar with it, you can get it here:
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/ [url]

I used, among others, http://linuxgazette.net/118/knaggs.html. It's distro-agnostic and covers about everything pertinent to DVB.

Quote:
Another thing, have you installed the firmare update?

I couldn't remember if I had installed to firmware (this was over 6 weeks ago) so I went to the pchdtv.com downloads page where it says:

Quote:
#Firmware - Place contents in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/. This firmware supports ATSC and QAM on the HD-3000 and ATSC on the HD-2000. This also should be the only thing you need to install to get either model of card working.

I looked for /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ and didn't find it. I then looked at the firmware files and the names were familiar so I searched for them and found them in /lib/firmware. I then checked the pchdtv-extras readme and that says /lib/firmware is the correct location for my system. So which is it - /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ or /lib/firmware/ ? I tried both ways, no joy. The firmware loads when I run azap, so the location wasn't a problem.

I then checked modules.conf where I had pchdtv's modprobes commented out in favor of a simple 'MODULES=(cx88-dvb)' entry in my etc/rc.conf file. I get the same modules loaded either way.

Then I looked at udev. This is trickier. If I use pchdtv's rules and permissions they stop xine-hd from working and set permissions as follows:

Quote:
crw-rw---- 1 root root 212, 4 2005-12-23 04:23 demux0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 212, 5 2005-12-23 04:23 dvr0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 212, 3 2005-12-23 04:23 frontend0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 212, 7 2005-12-23 04:23 net0

The standard rules set the group to video for all the devices, which is what I want. I'm not sure if the pchdtv rules are implementing properly on my system but for now I'm better off with my original settings. If you are using pchdtv's rules and permissions could you check a couple of things: do you have a /dev/dtv and what is the result of running 'ls -l /dev/dvb/frontend0' (assuming your card is dvb0)? [/url]
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card