pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> I can't figure out how to record any video
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
I can't figure out how to record any video
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
pastored

Hello, all.

Apparently, my 3000 card is working... I don't get any digital signal, but that's no surprise - there's crummy reception around here.

I'm trying to use my card to capture NTSC video through the composite line. I *do* get a picture using Tvtime... looks great. Sadly, I can't figure out how to capture the video itself.

Can someone please help me get started...?

thanks!

Registered Linux user #316504

(God Bless Your Linux Box Today)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
tony

Quote:
I can't figure out how to capture the video itself.

Hi, I've been trying to figure this out as well. I've gotten mplayer to display TV with the command so far, but no luck with sound. I presume you could use mencoder in place, and it should work.

mplayer -vo xv -ao alsa -vf scale=320:240 -vf eq2 tv://3 -tv device=/dev/video1:driver=v4l2:norm=0:alsa:outfmt=rgb24:brightness=60:contrast=26:hue=
50:saturation=50:chanlist=us-cable

Would have to specify the encoder settings as well uisng the -oac switch.
I haven't tried mencoder yet myself, but I'll let you know once I get it to
work. I'd also appricate any suggestions (especially on why sound is not captured)
Thanks
-Tony
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:11 pm Reply with quote
tony

Okay, finally got mencoder to work:

mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp3:vcodec=mpeg4:abitrate=32:vbitrate=200 tv://3 -tv driver=v4l2:norm=0:outfmt=rgb24:brightness=60:contrast=26:hue=50:saturation=50:chanlist=us-cable:adevice=/dev/dsp:immediatemode=1:audiorate
=48000:forceaudio:amode=1 -vf scale=320:240 -o test.avi

Adjust the bitrates for quality. I chose lower bit rate to allow streaming over a DSL/Cable link.

My problem with the sound was fixed using the command:

v4lctl volume mute off

Also, I had to play with the audio mixer settings to ensure that the right line input is set to capture mode.

Tony.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I was able to get mplayer to capture video after I ran "v4lctl -c /dev/video1 capture on" but I'm still not able to capture any audio. It always says "Audio: no sound". I tried the "forceaudio" option with no luck. tvtime doesn't work at all telling me "cx8800: invalid argument Cannot open capture device /dev/video1" on the OSD and "videoinput: Can't get information about buffer 0: Invalid argument." on stderr. Note that I'm using /dev/video1 because I also have an HD-2000 which owns /dev/video0.

v4lctl -c /dev/video1 volume mute off tells me:
Code:
ioctl: VIDIOC_S_CTRL(id=9963781;value=63): Invalid argument
ioctl: VIDIOC_S_CTRL(id=9963785;value=0): Invalid argument

I don't watch any NTSC so this isn't important for me. Also I'm running a 2.4 kernel and the 1.6 version of the driver so I may just be totally out of date.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

And most confusing of all, I haven't been able to get any audio out of the audio out on the back of the card. You'd think I'd get something out of the analog jack if I'm getting video out of the card.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:00 pm Reply with quote
tony

Scott, I'm using Knoppmyth RA26 (2.6.13), and it just worked w/o any tweaks. I also had problem getting audio out of the jack until I used 'v4lctl volume mute off', so I suspect this is your problem..
I haven't tried capturing on 2.4 kernel yet, so I don't know what incompatiblities exist.

Yes, it's unfortunate that I have to resort to NTSC programming. My cable provider only has a handful of programming avaialbe in the clear... , and even that's flakey sometimes. I did play with OTA a while back and it was a lot more stable, but that was with the old kernel (before they included the drivers). I have not tried OTA on 2.6.13 yet.. still need to setup my antenna in the attic.

Tony.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I'm thinking it's "v4ctl volume mute off" too since it appears the sound on the card is muted. That's why I can't even get sound out of the jack. Unfortunately the command has two ioctl calls fail and v4l-info says it's still muted, so something must failing in the driver.

I'll compare a recent working 2.6 driver with what I've got and see if there's anything simple and obvious. How hard can it be to turn the dang volume on?

The sad thing is that my OTA NTSC reception is just horrible!

Good God I'm getting two ghosts from that channel.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:03 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

OK I managed to get this to work.

First, v4lctl comes with the xawtv package. This has its own version of the pesky videodev.h and videodev2.h files which have caused so much confusion around here over the years. Once I compiled v4lctl with the headers that I compiled my HD-3000 driver with, it unmuted my audio without any ioctl errors. I was finally getting TV audio out of the jack!

Now, where to send that audio so I can record it? I don't know where the "Audio In" jack on the HD-3000 leads to but I guess I needed to run a cable between that card and my sound card. This wasn't a problem as I eventually figured out which jack is "Line in" on the back of my sound card and used the patch cable to hook it up.

I was hoping I could have mplayer save the audio in AC-3 format just so I could send it straight to my receiver. I didn't get that to work because apparently it's real picky about what kind of raw audio it will compress from, so I just used regular MP3 compression and it worked fine. I just have to send it to the PCM device instead of the SP/DIF device.

Now I can record all the blurry ghosty analog video I want! Wait, why did I want this again? Shocked
NTSC reception
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:46 am Reply with quote
inkling

Scott Larson wrote:
The sad thing is that my OTA NTSC reception is just horrible!

That's nicer than any NTSC reception I ever got. The best channel on the best day never looked that good. Too bad you left out the digital comparison of the same image to properly show why NTSC is so dead. I do appreciate the reminder, however. What are all them squiggly lines? :>

-ink
Re: NTSC reception
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:09 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

inkling wrote:
Too bad you left out the digital comparison of the same image to properly show why NTSC is so dead.

Oh I hardly thought that was necessary. Very Happy
Quote:
I do appreciate the reminder, however. What are all them squiggly lines? :>

From what little I know about NTSC, I'm guessing that the delayed signals from the multipath are so strong that their horizontal syncs are all smearing together. The poor receiver can't figure out which is the correct one so it picks different ones for different lines.

BTW this is a good example of an NTSC signal looking bad because it's too strong. Some people are talking like dealing with too-strong signals is something new with ATSC. Believe me, it's not. My cable reception is almost as bad because most of the strong OTA signals leak into the cable and give me ghosts. The cable company told me there's nothing they can do about it.

Back when cable was all about giving their customers the best possible reception of local stations, they put every local station on a different cable channel than their OTA channel so there was no way it could interfere. It was really confusing to see channel 5 on channel 6, channel 8 on channel 9 and so on. They gave up on that sometime during the 80's.
I figured it out...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
pastored

Here's what I've discovered:

mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=128:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=4000:aspect=4/3 \
tv:// -tv device=/dev/video0:driver=v4l2:norm=0:outfmt=yuy2:width=320:height=240 \
:brightness=50:contrast=30:hue=50:saturation=50:alsa:amode=1:forceaudio:audiorate=44100:fps=29.97:input=0 -o $1.mpg

This ONE command (all on one line, but split up for this forum) grabs it just fine.

I'm putting this here in case anyone else wants to do this... or in case I forget how.

Registered Linux user #316504

(God Bless Your Linux Box Today)
I can't figure out how to record any video
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics