pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux -> DVI connection to Sony KV-WV65600
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
DVI connection to Sony KV-WV65600
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
cpreston

I'm trying to build a mythtv system, and as a part of that, I've loaded Windows on my future Mythtv box that has a Geforce FX5200 with a DVI connection, which I've connected to the DVI port on my 65" sony (kv-wv65600). the goal is to use powerstrip to get the perfect modeline for the linux driver of the 5200.

When I boot up, I get the boot messages and windows displayed on the screen, but there is significant overscan right from the beginning. Then, when I'm using powerstrip, it doesn't seem to matter what resolution I pick. I always have overscan. I've been able to use front porch/back porch settings to line up the bottom and left parts of the screen, but the top and right parts are way overscanned. Is there some setting on the TV that I should be doing? The sony manual is no help, as it says "the dvi input is not designed to be connected to a PC." Great.

1. I seem to fumbling in the dark with powerstrip. Is there a manual that I can't find?
2. Any reason why I'd have so much overscan?
3. Any other help?

Help? Wink
Re: DVI connection to Sony KV-WV65600
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
kmj0577

cpreston wrote:
I'm trying to build a mythtv system, and as a part of that, I've loaded Windows on my future Mythtv box that has a Geforce FX5200 with a DVI connection, which I've connected to the DVI port on my 65" sony (kv-wv65600). the goal is to use powerstrip to get the perfect modeline for the linux driver of the 5200.

When I boot up, I get the boot messages and windows displayed on the screen, but there is significant overscan right from the beginning. Then, when I'm using powerstrip, it doesn't seem to matter what resolution I pick. I always have overscan. I've been able to use front porch/back porch settings to line up the bottom and left parts of the screen, but the top and right parts are way overscanned. Is there some setting on the TV that I should be doing? The sony manual is no help, as it says "the dvi input is not designed to be connected to a PC." Great.

1. I seem to fumbling in the dark with powerstrip. Is there a manual that I can't find?
2. Any reason why I'd have so much overscan?
3. Any other help?

Help? Wink

I don't and have never used powerstrip. However, a google search results in a page with screenshots of a window that lets you set position and size (i.e. moving the picture up, down, left and right and making the dimensions smaller) with buttons that have arrows on them. It's also possible that you may have an onscreen menu that lets you move/resize the picture on your TV.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
cpreston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I connected my FX5200 to a 1366x768 HDTV via DVI a couple of years ago. I came up with a modeline that worked perfectly (it does have two pixels of overscan but no big deal).

But every Nvidia driver update I've tried since then fails. My monitor says "Timing Not Supported" or something like that. I reinstall the old driver and with no other changes, and I'm back in business. Naturally I've reported this to Nvidia several times and I've tested every driver update they've released. They've all failed.

So when people ask how to get their Nvidia board working with their HDTV, I can't honestly tell them it will work!
DVI connection to Sony KV-WV65600
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux