pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> MythTV and DVB/other issues
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
MythTV and DVB/other issues
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
jhbeskow

Hello,

I have been trying to get my HD3000 working for a couple of weeks now with no success. I am running Fedora Core 4 with a 2.6.14 kernel. I have made all of the changes dictated by http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1051 . I have emailed the support staff and have followed all directions. I have tried to install the dvb-atsc-tools from the website. On the make install I get the following:

install -C --mode=u=rwx,go=rx chopatscfile dtvsignal dtvscan getatsc atscpackets /usr/bin
install: invalid option -- C
Try `install --help' for more information.
make: *** [install] Error 1

I have no idea what the problem is. It is driving me crazy. I can't even test if the card is working correctly if I can't install these tools!!!

I don't have a /dev/dvb/adapter0 device by default, but when I run the following commands it creates one:

modprobe -rv cx88_blackbird
modprobe -rv cx88-dvb
modprobe -rv cx8800
modprobe -v cx88-dvb

I am not sure how to get this change to be perminant. As you can tell, I am fairly new to Linux.

Once I get the /dev/dvb/adapter0 to show up, I go into mythtv-setup and create a new tuner of type DVB. It finds the card, and I bind it to a video source. My other tuner is a PVR-350 which is working fine. When I start up the front end, it defaults to the PVR-350, so I try to change inputs by hitting Y. It changes, but I am greeted with a black screen. After about 20 seconds or so this screen times out. Often this locks up my mythbackend. I get the following output on my mythfrontend:

X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 141
Minor opcode: 14
Resource id: 0x1b2
2006-01-08 22:38:14.020 Couldn't get the color key color, and we need it.
You likely won't get any video.
2006-01-08 22:38:14.314 Using realtime priority.
2006-01-08 22:38:14.364 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2006-01-08 22:38:14.416 Video timing method: RTC
X Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) 8
Major opcode: 141
Minor opcode: 14
Resource id: 0x1b2
2006-01-08 22:38:24.269 Couldn't get the color key color, and we need it.
You likely won't get any video.
2006-01-08 22:38:24.652 Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
2006-01-08 22:38:24.692 Using protocol version 15
2006-01-08 22:38:29.836 taking too long to be allowed to read..
2006-01-08 22:38:34.840 taking too long to be allowed to read..
2006-01-08 22:38:39.844 taking too long to be allowed to read..
2006-01-08 22:38:39.844 Took more than 10 seconds to be allowed to read, aborting.
Couldn't read file: rbuf://192.168.0.12:6543/video/recordings/ringbuf2.nuv
2006-01-08 22:38:39.896 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2006-01-08 22:38:39.896 Decoder not alive, and trying to play..
2006-01-08 22:38:39.952 Changing from None to None

The wierd thing is that I can't find a ringbuf2.nuv at the selected location. As far as the "Couldn't get the color key color, and we need it." error, I have no idea that that's all about. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be with any of these issues? I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Thanks.
Myth TV and DVB/other issues
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
HDTVelectron

Hi, I'm not the Myth pro by any means, but have had it working for a few months on FC3, using AT rpms following the Jarrod Guide. Myth vers 0.18.1, not CVS. I only have the HD3000, was playing with the cheapest Leadtek Card from newegg for $10 after rebate, but ditched it for now, might use it in a windows pc at work. I have only recently started seeing the error " Couldn't get the color key color, and we need it. You likely won't get any video. " and 95% of the time, I get video just fine. However, I've also just recently started using the S-video output on my Nvidia card to run my Big Screen TV while still using the VGA monitor on the same PC, this makes it easier to see the messages from mythfrontend and mythbackend while watching the TV. I just searched my system for a ringbuf*.nuv file & could not find one, so don't know about that file's existance, maybe it's deleted when mythfrontend stops, sounds like a FIFO type file. Your first problem you mention is the compile error on the dvb-atsc tools, are you su root before make install ? also some FC4 stuff has the problem of needing --gcc=32 or some similar line to make it compile right, one of the reasons I dropped back to FC3. If your myth install works OK with the PVR-350, then it's gotta be just related to the dvb driver. Check permissions of the /dev/dvb/adapter0, and change if needed. Best bet would be to get the dvb tools to install, run ./azap KWTV or whichever station, create a channels.conf 1st of course & see the results from azap. If it can tune w/azap OK, then you could use mplayer to veiw the results, either live using mplayer dvb://KWTV etc... or cat /dev/adapter0/dvr0 > file.ts then play the file.ts w/mplayer. This would be confirmation the dvb driver/firmware etc.. all is working, then the rest would be mythtv software problems, if you had any.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:07 am Reply with quote
waterhead

To automatically load the dvb drivers, and create the /dev/dvb files, I followed the advice on this link:
http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=966&highlight=dvb+modules+created

And I did this:
Quote:
I edited /lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1398_FC4/modules.pcimap, moved cx88-dvb line before the cx8800 and cx8800-blackbird lines, as someone recommended.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
jhbeskow

waterhead wrote:
To automatically load the dvb drivers, and create the /dev/dvb files, I followed the advice on this link:
http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=966&highlight=dvb+modules+created

And I did this:
Quote:
I edited /lib/modules/2.6.12-1.1398_FC4/modules.pcimap, moved cx88-dvb line before the cx8800 and cx8800-blackbird lines, as someone recommended.

I did that and it's stll not correct. I am sick of this!!! Nothing works. dtvscan returns nothing. dtvsignal returns nothing. I have tried chmod 777 on the device, but that doesn't help. I don't know what to do!!!

I guess I'll ask this question. I was working on this from home where we do have many over-the-air HDTV channels, but now I am at school and use basic cable. I have never been able to get a clear answer from the pcHDTV people on whether or not this card will tune basic cable. I AM SICK OF THIS! SOMEONE, PLEASE HELP!!! If you have answers to either of these problems, please reply.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

For cable you need to use QAM. I don't have cable, so I can't help you.
I recently read some posts, on this forum, about tuning in QAM channels. If you do a search for QAM, you should find something that might help.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
kmj0577

Yes, it will tune basic cable (assuming you have a provider who broadcasts the local HDTV channels, which every major provider is supposed to do but if you have one like from your college if you live in the dorms, you might possibly not). I have digital cable so I used the diagnostic channel to find out the frequencies of my QAM channels, but you can use dvbscan which comes with dvb-apps (from linuxtv.org I believe).

cd dvb-apps
make
cd util/scan
./dvbscan -A2 -a0 atsc/us-Cable-Standard-center-frequencies-QAM256

That should dump out a list of frequencies.

Then I personally use dvbstream to get the stream because I can then pick out just the PIDs of the audio and video and eliminate all the other stuff that a QAM transport stream has.

For example to watch I use something like:
dvbstream -o -c 0 -qam 256 -f 723000000 66 67 | mplayer -fs -ao alsa -ac hwac3 -vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc -

That will take PIDs 66 (video) and 67 (audio) from frequency 723MHz and send it to stdout (-o switch, omit it to send it over your network using multicast, or use -o:file.ts to write it out to a file) which is then sent into mplayer's stdin (last - specifies to read from stdin) and output the audio to alsa and send it to a hardware ac3 decoder and decode the video using XvMC so it uses less CPU.

Hopefully this was detailed enough. I had a hard time figuring out how to get QAM working. My main problem was I was sending in the full transport stream to mplayer to decode which lead to pixelation. Not sure if it was getting extra information or the 4MB/s you get from QAM was too much for it to handle, but specifying the PIDs for the audio and video helps a lot.
MythTV and DVB/other issues
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card