pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> MythTV device name?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
MythTV device name?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
RocketRay

I've gotten my HD2000 card working under FC4 with the DVB drivers, and I can record programs using azap and then catting the device like so:

azap -r KCBS-DT
cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > /usr3/video/LateShow-0117.mpg

But in the MythTV setup, it seems to want /dev/video# for the device, rather than /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0.

Can someone help, or point me in the right direction? This is my last little thing to fix (I hope) and then MythTV will work and my PVR box will be a success!
Re: MythTV device name?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
kmj0577

RocketRay wrote:
I've gotten my HD2000 card working under FC4 with the DVB drivers, and I can record programs using azap and then catting the device like so:

azap -r KCBS-DT
cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > /usr3/video/LateShow-0117.mpg

But in the MythTV setup, it seems to want /dev/video# for the device, rather than /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0.

Can someone help, or point me in the right direction? This is my last little thing to fix (I hope) and then MythTV will work and my PVR box will be a success!

Despite there being a PCHDTV entry, you need to go beyond that to the DVB entry.
got it
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
RocketRay

I see what my mistake was. I was selecting PCHDTV 2000/3000 (which uses /dev/video) and I should have selected Digital Video Broadcast, the second type below HD2000.

Now to get DataDirect going & get this puppy working!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
locutus42

Building a pcHDTV/Mythtv system also and did the exact same thing( picked pcHDTV card instead of DVB ). Now that I've gone through the DVB cardtype settings, source, input, and azap/channels all I get is a blank screen when going to liveTV. Anybody have any ideas?

I know the card and antenna work since running azap -r KNBC-DT works and running mplayer on /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 works. Heck, I even installed the new Nvidia driver and rebuilt mplayer so XvMC works. I just can't get MythTV to do all those things.

FYI:
1) The card setting/selection is easy since I just select "0" and the pcHDTV stuff shows up
2) I created an 'antenna' video source and put in azap login stuff for channel data
3) For Input settings, the DVB:0 and DVBInput is auto selected and the Video Source is set to my 'antenna' entry, Input Pref is set to 0 and finally, I set the default channel to a local station KNSDDT( as azap lists ). I tried the channel number too but still just a blank screen with no immediate way to exit. Hitting 'q' seems to do it after about 3 minutes though.

Any ideas? Thanks.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

You need to download the zap2it data, and then run mythfilldatabase. You then should be able to go to the Channel Editor section and scan for channels.

Make sure that your default channel is set to one that the scan picked up. I don't recall which section to set it in, though.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
locutus42

waterhead wrote:
You need to download the zap2it data, and then run mythfilldatabase. You then should be able to go to the Channel Editor section and scan for channels.

Make sure that your default channel is set to one that the scan picked up. I don't recall which section to set it in, though.

[EDIT/update] THAT WORKED! I didn't even do a Channel Edit scan but did put in a default channel number( 511 ) which I knew was a working/valid channel. What was 'interesting' was that when I tried LiveTV after mythfilldatabase( and restarting the frontend ), the default channel was NOT 511 or what a previous channel scan showed as 511.

So, the program guide is populated and I'm recording right now. Checking that stations online guide shows it is recording the correct program( name/time/etc ). Smile

THANKS for the hand holding.

[/EDIT/update]
[back to previously scheduled message]

I had done that but not sure THAT specific process order. I went through the 5 setup options one by one and the zap2it login/download stuff comes before the channel editor/scan stuff.

At the moment, I do have recording working but no program data so only manual record works. A good sign that I'm getting close though. I'll rerun mythtv-setup and clear the channel info to try your setup ordering to see what happens. But one thing I noticed while looking at the output of mythfilldatabase, even though my login is OK( says when my account expires correctly ), it still gets a "401 Unauthorized" for the first access on each channel/login. I still saw channel program schedule data from the frontend view but have know idea why this would happen. But then again, I've no tried to figure out what mythfilldatabase is doing enough to know what access to zap2it is failing.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by locutus42 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
waterhead

I wasn't able to scan for channels until after I downloaded the zap2it lineup and ran mythfilldatabase. The scan for channels box was grayed out until it did the other two steps.

Also, there appears to be a difference in how zap2it labels the channels compared to the actual scanned channels. Here's a link that describes what to do:
http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=943

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
locutus42

waterhead wrote:
I wasn't able to scan for channels until after I downloaded the zap2it lineup and ran mythfilldatabase. The scan for channels box was grayed out until it did the other two steps.

Also, there appears to be a difference in how zap2it labels the channels compared to the actual scanned channels. Here's a link that describes what to do:
http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=943

I've not tried to record another channel from the program guide but from the information in that link/forum-thread, I'll bet I'd get the same channel recorded...

Seems like an easy enough fix( scan and then copied XMLID tags to scanned channel data ). And here I was thinking it was now working. I should have known. Wink

It's funny that just this morning I told 'the wife' that I should have the system mostly working today and her comment went something like this, "will you ever REALLY have it fully working?". Wink

I'll update this comment after the current recording finishes and I've determined what the state really is, and if that 'fix' works.

[EDIT] Didn't work and just freezes the backend recording by locking the dvb port. Had to cycle mythbackend to free up the dvb port again. I did find another thread on 'fixing' the channel database and will eventually try this. Here's the thread:

http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634

[/EDIT] [EDIT-1]
Well, that didn't work so far. I exported the channels database table for SCANNED channels and then cleared and loaded the database with the zap2it stuff. Then, punched in the 3 fields from the SCANNED data into the zap2it stuff but stil it didn't work...

Right now, I have both the Zap2it and scanned channel information in the database and I can record using Manual Recording settings by using the xxx( not xx_x ) channels. Today, I'll try moving other bits of data between the two entry types and see which one works.

I should probably start a new thread or get onto one more closely related to this topic. Wink
But related to this topic; I wonder if there is any relationship with channel.conf data and the channels database entries? As of now, I have no idea what data/fields in the channels table does what.
[EDIT-1]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
locutus42

What seemed to work was the loading of the zap2it channel data, fillmythdatabase, scan for OTA channels, edit scanned channels and add XMLxxID number to scanned channels. Then, the next time the schedule goes for an update, it'll start updating the scanned channels and allow for their use in setting recordings.

Maybe running fillmythdatabase after updating all the scanned channels with XMLxxID tags would have filled them with schedule data but I don't think I did that. I've not deleted the zap2it created channels( ones with xx_x chan numbers ) but will probably do that eventually.

Thanks for the help.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

locutus42 wrote:
Thanks for the help.

No problem. If it wasn't for this forum and the MythTV threads, I never would have gotten my system running. I'm happy to pay back by helping someone else out.

Quote:
Maybe running fillmythdatabase

By the way, the correct command is 'mythfilldatabase'. Just type it into a shell prompt.

Happy MythTVing!

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

locutus42 wrote:
I've not deleted the zap2it created channels( ones with xx_x chan numbers ) but will probably do that eventually..

I've found that you can remove the useless xx_x channels from the guide by using MythWeb. Just set it up following the directions from Jarod Wilsons web site. Use a web browser to call up the site and click the icon with a key and a wrench. Then click on "channels", here you can delete uneeded channels.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
MythTV device name?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card