pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HD3000 QAM Not locking Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD3000 QAM Not locking
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
RedMage

I've been reading the suggestions here, and I've gotten the HD3000 card to work somewhat under 8VSB OTA, but I'm having real problems getting QAM to work. Mplayer will play the OTA signal, but I've got bad reception.
I've got a (hardware) HDTV box that will tune QAM, and it see channels fine, so I know the signal is good.
I'm using Comcast, so I've got the "No PIDS for you scum" problem, so I've followed the directions here and elsewhere to scan for channels and PIDS.
So, I've located a channel (84-1), which is PBS-HD here. I've got the channels.conf set up to what I think is correct, using information from dvbscan c and dvbtraffic (which both agree there's two PID's with data and sound.) azap -r however absolutely refuses to see a good lock. This channel tunes perfectly using my STB (non-comcast), so I know it's not encrypted.
The symptoms are that I'll get pictures and sound on and off, and the FE_HAS_LOCK will come and go (mostly go). I'm using good cable (RG6) and have even removed the splitter from the equation.

I don't want to have to deal with OTA tuning since I've got a big hill in the way, so I really want to get QAM working at least as well as with the STB.

BTW, I know it's at least close to a good channel, since I can run it (very badly) in mplayer and recognize the channel.

Any way I can zero in on the problem and dial in the lock?

Environment: FC4, with several other PVR-250's which are working correctly. I won't even bring MythTV into the equation until I get a good signal.
I feel your pain
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
razor1900

Having the same type of issues... hopefully we will be able to come up with a decent system to lock onto these channels.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

You may be experiencing a problem due to an error in the definitionof the tuner type for the HD3000. You can try making the changes described below in your driver source files and see if that corrects the problem for you. There are only two lines that need to be changed.

HTH,

Rusty

-->> Mercurial Patch << --
# HG changeset patch
# User Michael Krufky <mkrufky@linuxtv.org>
# Node ID 4dc919c0bc4f1aaccc712c57f49978038c774f81
# Parent 4424081bbbba4f9fe5f15f8d2e52e703a622b602
bug fix: Wrong tuner was used pcHDTV HD-3000 card

It looks like the HD3000 was prototyped with the 7610 tuner when
the driver was developed, but the cards appear to have always shipped
with the 7612 tuner and the driver was never adjusted for it.

The definition needs to be corrected.

- The HD-3000 was prototyped with a Thomson DTT7610,
but production versions used a DTT7612 tuner.
- This patch changes both dvb-pll settings and V4L tuner type.

Signed-off-by: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@speakeasy.org>
Signed-off-by: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@linuxtv.org>

diff -r 4424081bbbba -r 4dc919c0bc4f linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c--- a/linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c Mon Apr 10 09:27:37 2006 -0300
+++ b/linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c Mon Apr 10 09:40:37 2006 -0300
@@ -566,7 +566,7 @@ struct cx88_board cx88_boards[] = {
},
[CX88_BOARD_PCHDTV_HD3000] = {
.name = "pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV",
- .tuner_type = TUNER_THOMSON_DTT7610,
+ .tuner_type = TUNER_THOMSON_DTT761X,
.radio_type = UNSET,
.tuner_addr = ADDR_UNSET,
.radio_addr = ADDR_UNSET,
diff -r 4424081bbbba -r 4dc919c0bc4f linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.c
--- a/linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.c Mon Apr 10 09:27:37 2006 -0300
+++ b/linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.c Mon Apr 10 09:40:37 2006 -0300
@@ -374,7 +374,7 @@ static struct or51132_config pchdtv_hd30
static struct or51132_config pchdtv_hd3000 = {
.demod_address = 0x15,
.pll_address = 0x61,
- .pll_desc = &dvb_pll_thomson_dtt7610,
+ .pll_desc = &dvb_pll_thomson_dtt761x,
.set_ts_params = or51132_set_ts_param,
};
#endif
compile error with your changes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
vid_hobb

pcHDTV_tech,

I made changes to ./linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c and
./linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.c in my kernel source
as you stated above in your diff statements.
In my kernel source
I ran --> "make clean modules" and the error appeared,

--snip--
CC [M] drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-vbi.o
CC [M] drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-mpeg.o
CC [M] drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.o
drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c:566: error: `TUNER_THOMSON_DTT761X' undeclared here (not in a function)
drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c:566: error: initializer element is not constant
drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c:566: error: (near initialization for `cx88_boards[22].tuner_type')
drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-cards.c:577: error: initializer element is not coQuestionstant
--snip-- --repeats this error with different line numbers

My device is working tuning and getting
status 1f | signal 178c | snr fd3b | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK
lines, but no real data with
--> dd if=/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 bs=64k of=/video/test-card/test.ts
result test.ts 0 bytes

Question: I wanted to recompile the modules and install them manually. Gentoo is a little fussy, so only want to mess with the HD-3000 modules. Are there different versions of the HD-3000 with different tuners out there? My card is about 2 years old, and have been trying get QAM to work for a long time, It looks to me I might have a signal strength issue as well.

With the compile issue, is there a proper driver patch available?, my compiler is not happy with;

".../video/cx88/cx88-cards.c:566: error: `TUNER_THOMSON_DTT761X' undeclared here (not in a function) "
which showed up after I made your changes.
Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

There must have been some other changes that I missed. Do a
Code:
> grep -R TUNER_THOMSON_DTT76 ./linux/

To see if there is a definition for the DTT7612. The version you have may be before the 7612 was changed to 761x to cover newer similar tuners. If TUNER_THOMSON_DTT7612 does exist, then you should be able to use that definition.

OR,

you can try grabbing the latest driver set from linuxtv.org.

http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb?ca=0b89cd1a97ca;type=bz2

This will give you a bzipped tarball which you can untar using tar xjf <filename>

Make and install the modules from that release and see if that helps your problem.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
flostog

I am having the exact same problem as the original poster. I had all but given up using my 2 pchdtv cards, but this is the most promising thing I have heard so far. OK here is my issue - I am running Fedora Core 3 using Kernel 2.6.11. I am currently using the pchdtv version 2.0 drivers which do not have the definition for DTT761X or DTT7612. If I apply the patch as mentioned above, I encounter the same problems as the other poster that applied the patches.

I cannot use the latest tarball as my Kernel version is too old.

Is my only option to update the Kernel (I have been trying to do this - without success - I have not been able to get my hauppage devices to work - an ivtv thing)?

Is it possible that there is a version 2.0a or something that has the proper patch applied that I can use with 2.6.11?

pcHDTV_tech wrote:
There must have been some other changes that I missed. Do a
Code:
> grep -R TUNER_THOMSON_DTT76 ./linux/

To see if there is a definition for the DTT7612. The version you have may be before the 7612 was changed to 761x to cover newer similar tuners. If TUNER_THOMSON_DTT7612 does exist, then you should be able to use that definition.

OR,

you can try grabbing the latest driver set from linuxtv.org.

http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb?ca=0b89cd1a97ca;type=bz2

This will give you a bzipped tarball which you can untar using tar xjf <filename>

Make and install the modules from that release and see if that helps your problem.
follow up --card now working
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
vid_hobb

Thank you to
xyzzy and Rusty (pcHDTV_tech)

from xyzzy's post
Quote:

You might try my atscscan program, available here http://www.speakeasy.org/~xyzzy/download/atscscan.

Thanks for writing a great utility. It was your atscscan that showed I had a low signal level, like around 16% right off the CATV. Thats what led me to this thread in the first place. The dtvsignal (whatever it was called) utility that came on the original CD always showed zero signal, so I had no idea what was going on, useless tool. azap 's FE_HAS_LOCK was misleading as well, making things clear as mud.

Thank you to Rusty ( pcHDTV_tech ) for finding the tuner chip issue. I went to your Mercurial site via your link above and your latest package did the trick. I had no idea you guys had a Mercurial site, I kept checking into the "downloads" your pchdtv.com main site and tried your older files (many times) You might want to put a link to your Mercurial there.

grep -R TUNER_THOMSON_DTT76 ./linux/ (linux being 2.6.14) shows TUNER_THOMSON_DTT761X, TUNER_THOMSON_DTT7611 in tuner.h among other locations. I think that was a vanalla kernel. drivers look broken, card never had a chance.

grep -R TUNER_THOMSON_DTT76 ./linux-2.6.16-gentoo-r9/
shows TUNER_THOMSON_DTT7610, TUNER_THOMSON_DTT761X in places, looks broken too? Anyway forget the kernel sources, 2.6.16 is Gentoo's latest marked stable portage managed kernel. Correct me if I'm wrong, all kernel sources have broken drivers??

On to the good stuff, great recordings from (OTA) from Buffalo N.Y. to Caledon Ontario. Perfect quality. Hello NFL "real broadcasts" good-bye sym-sucking CTRC filtered cableTV based telecasts. Rogers QAM looks encryped anyway. pchdtvr works very well.

Dave

Re: follow up --card now working
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

Thanks, I'm glad my program was useful to you.

vid_hobb wrote:
Anyway forget the kernel sources, 2.6.16 is Gentoo's latest marked stable portage managed kernel. Correct me if I'm wrong, all kernel sources have broken drivers??

The fix for the tuner type went in the kernel here:
changeset: 27150:bb25becc3928
user: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@speakeasy.org>
date: Sat May 13 01:54:49 2006 +0300
summary: V4L/DVB (3763): Bug fix: Wrong tuner was used pcHDTV HD-3000 card

That would have been before v2.6.17-rc5, so the newest stable kernel source does have the fix. It's not that big a bug really, it should only effect a few channels.

Quote:

Rogers QAM looks encryped anyway. pchdtvr works very well.

If the local OTA broadcasters really are encrypted on cable, you could complain to the FCC, Rogers is not allowed to do that.
FCC vs CRTC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
vid_hobb

Quote:

If the local OTA broadcasters really are encrypted on cable, you could complain to the FCC, Rogers is not allowed to do that.

I wish it were that easy. I'm in Canada, we have the CRTC, which is a little like your FCC. The thing is, they are more political than technical. In my opinion their mandate among other things is to stone-wall the advancement of HDTV, and public access to digital signals. The cable companies up here can do almost anything they want. I watch some American movie stations and when the ads come on, local canadian ads are shown in their place. Sometimes they have timed it badly and show extra ads right over the movie you are watching. The Canadian government wants the cable/satellite companies fool the public into thinking they need cable/sat to get HDTV to they can tax it and control the market. I have a Haupp- pvr350 on my older box, but its days are numbered, analog channels 2 - 59 are on the cable , but who knows for how long. Once there gone (?maybe 10 years) they will have full control what you can record with subscriber PVR boxes.
2 other interesting points
- HDTV sets sold here have no OTA digital tuners in them, they are sold as "HDTV ready", a lot come with "free" digital cable tv boxes.
- so called DVD recorders with analog tuners only are sold in stores here are "new technology" My IO-DATA Avel-Link DVD network player is almost 2 years old, and I doubt it will ever really go to the wide retail market here in Canada. It has no tuner, but thats what my Linux boxes are for.
Thanks again for your help.
Now I'm off to mess around with Transcode.

What *exactly* does this bug do?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
dieter

> It's not that big a bug really, it should only effect a few channels.

Is there an explaination of this bug and its effects somewhere?

Does it only effect cable channels, or OTA, or both?

I tried to install a new kernel, but rpm whines that it wants
a new version of perl-Bootloader, which in turn wants a new version
of perl, which in turn wants a new version of libc.so.6 ...
and I'm afraid that all sorts of things will suddenly break.

So before I go down that road, I wonder if it will really help?
Re: What *exactly* does this bug do?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:04 pm Reply with quote
flostog

dieter wrote:
Is there an explaination of this bug and its effects somewhere?

Does it only effect cable channels, or OTA, or both?

Well from what I have gathered here and elsewhere, this bug effects NTSC - in particular channels 61 & 62 or something like that. Since I'm not using the pchdtv-3000 for NTSC I could care less about that aspect.

It evidently does not effect ATSC (or so I have read).

I have found nothing to indicate whether or not QAM is effected. Rusty (from pchdtv) eludes that QAM is effected and that this should help, but that is the only spot I have seen that.

Now - I have successfully upgraded my Kernel to 2.6.16.22 with only a couple things left to fix before trying the tarball suggested above. Once I do I will relay my results as to whether or not it helped my QAM reception.

Ron
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:26 pm Reply with quote
flostog

Update:

I was not able to get the latest v4l-dvb driver to work at all. After installing, my system would no longer reboot. It segmentation faulted in the rc.sysinit while loading modules. I had to boot to emergency mode, put the filesystem in writable mode and temporarily comment out three lines in rc.sysinit to get booted.

After I recovered I tried the latest version on the pchdtv downloads section (CD_pcHDTV-v2.0.tar.gz (Most Current HD-5500 5/22/2006)) which is dated after Trent's patch - so I think it has the patch. The tuner is recognized as TUNER_THOMSON_DTT761X instead of TUNER_THOMSON_DTT7610.

How can I tell for certain that this version had the patch?

Anyhow this version broke some of my ivtv functionality. In particular - I am using the composite input on my Hauppauge-250. After this install, I can no longer select the composite input - only the RF input. I'm fairly certain I could trace this down if needed.

On to the QAM. Ablsolutely no difference in behavior. I can tune to an unencrypted HD station, but I am still getting data corruption, resulting in a blocky picture with the digital audio cutting in and out. MythTV claims the signal level is at 100%.

My next step is to take everything out of my computer but what is absolutely needed to run a single hd-3000.

I wish I knew if the problem was the system, the cable provider or the card. The fact that I have seen many people with the same issues leads me to think the problem is with the card (I don't see the same complaints on the forums of some of the other cards) or a combination of the card and the system (Does anyone with an NVidia video card have hd-3000 QAM working?).

Before I tried QAM, I had a crappy FM antenna hooked up to the HD-3000 and I could grab OTA HD without a problem.
compile source code
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
vid_hobb

The best thing I would do is use a separate computer with just your DVB card in it. My older box is running Fedora 2 and has my pvr350 in it. I could never compile anything on that machine even if my life depended on it. The kernel and C, perl libraries always were hopeless on that box.
I Built a Gentoo system for my 3000 card so I can compile with clean code. Also my "production" pvr350 box is un-effected if (when ) I break things. The other reason for Gentoo was to build a strong mplayer/mencoder, transcode codec library.
You can try maybe using the knopppix live cd and experiment with it. You should be able to compile separate kernels and name them anything you want. You can experiment/break things and boot your old kernel if things go bad. Try configuring your boot loader to run your old then new kernel(s) first, then go ahead and break your new one.

I spent a long time wondering if my card was defective until I tried xyzzy's atscscan utility. It pointed me in the right direction. I went from no-signal (16% not unstable) with the bad drivers to 91% with about 95 miles distance to transmitters using an old broken down UHF antenna on my old tower. The old (unpatched) drivers seemed to kill both cable and OTA for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

I have a problem with QAM reception and using the Nvidia X server. If I use the open source 'nv' driver, no problems. What you might want to try, is capture the something to a file from the text console without running X. Then see if you can play back the file.

256-QAM needs a better signal to noise ratio than 8-VSB, since it puts twice the data in the same space. I think that QAM reception with the HD-3000 is very marginal, and it is easy to have too much noise in your computer.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
flostog

xyzzy wrote:
I have a problem with QAM reception and using the Nvidia X server. If I use the open source 'nv' driver, no problems. What you might want to try, is capture the something to a file from the text console without running X. Then see if you can play back the file.

256-QAM needs a better signal to noise ratio than 8-VSB, since it puts twice the data in the same space. I think that QAM reception with the HD-3000 is very marginal, and it is easy to have too much noise in your computer.

This would confirm my suspicions. I will try that test. I also have a wireless card in the setup - and that could be causing interference as well. I figured if I take out the haupauges and wireless and leave a single hd-3000 card - I can see if it improves things. That would at least point to my setup.

I'm also tempted to order an airtopc card and give it a try - but obviously I would prefer to get my 2 hd-3000 cards working.

BTW - I did confirm that your patch is in the latest set of drivers on PCHDTV's download page.

Ron
HD3000 QAM Not locking
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics