pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux -> Dragon HTPC by mythic
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Dragon HTPC by mythic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Jim

After a couple years trying to build an ATSC system, and a lot of help from this and other forums and people, I thought I'd look into stocking Dragon systems to compete against the M$ HMC myth.

With the Sbowl and Olympics available here off the air in Maine, It gave me an incentive to try and impress friends and wife.

Sound was a big issue, the mythic.tv people are very helpful and there is a patch at least for getting basic 48khz sound, from my system. but no Dolby etc. Had I not owned a Directivo for the last few years, I would be blown away by the Dragon. It records HDTV from HD-3000 Card, imports all my cd's, but has a lot of shortcomings if you don't read the fine print. (It is a quiet box that looks nice, that will record OTA HDTV IF you have a perfect signal.

If you do not have a perfect signal in the channels you tune to, the system will lock up and crash. Another true disclaimer in their fine print.

Even my wife loves the tivo type features and figured a lot of things from the remote when I was not there.

For the tinkerer it is great, but no commercial encrypted DVD support.
I played around, and some dvd's play, some light up all the dolby digital stuff on my receiver but no sound, some Fantasia dvd's play perfectly with dolby 5.1

Freaky.

learn puTTY, mythhweb, winSCP3 on your home network, and save recordings to other hard drives..Still learning to split/save files to dvd burners etc.

If I had a front projector, I could fill the wall with 1080i OTA for free from a cheap "rabbit ears" log periodic antenna I sit on my window sill.

In all I am enjoying my Dragon, would like to share whatever config files are working etc, since it is open source.

It uses a hd-3000 and an ati5200 FYI.

All audio is done over optical cable from a ??? soundcard. All this is listed on their website to build your own or buy.

Check my earlier posts from trying to do it from scratch.

Just giving Dragon a little positive exposure here.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux