pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Do I need both Xine-HD and MythTV with the HD-3000?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Do I need both Xine-HD and MythTV with the HD-3000?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
menendez

I intend to use the HD-3000 and MythTV to record OTA DTV/HDTV. Do I also need to install Xine-HD or can I get by with just MythTV?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
skow

My setup seems to work fine without having to install xine-hd. From my understanding, xine-hd will allow you to change channels on the hd3000 all by itself outside of MythTV. There may be other benefits to using it as well, but I haven't gotten far enough to know what they may be. I think my current setup is using MythTV's internal player or mplayer - I'd have to double check to see how it is set up. In any case, I have not needed to install xine-hd to view HD recordings through MythTV.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
douglasw0

skow wrote:
My setup seems to work fine without having to install xine-hd. From my understanding, xine-hd will allow you to change channels on the hd3000 all by itself outside of MythTV. There may be other benefits to using it as well, but I haven't gotten far enough to know what they may be. I think my current setup is using MythTV's internal player or mplayer - I'd have to double check to see how it is set up. In any case, I have not needed to install xine-hd to view HD recordings through MythTV.

So far, xine-hd is not needed, which is good, because on my system I have no /dev/dtv devices, and when I try to startup xine (it boots) it can't connect to any of the devices it could use to play TV, so xine is pretty much a bust on my system.

Does the DVD player or any of the other "plugins" require xine to play or will something else (like xmms or mplayer or whatnot...even tho i've still yet to get mplayer to work either) work?

--Doug
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote
skow

You can configure the DVD player to use what ever you want. I have set mine up to use Xine since it supports the DVD menus unlike mplayer and (until .20 comes out) MythTV's internal player.

Here is the link to setting up Xine to play DVDs and other media:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Xine
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
douglasw0

skow wrote:
You can configure the DVD player to use what ever you want. I have set mine up to use Xine since it supports the DVD menus unlike mplayer and (until .20 comes out) MythTV's internal player.

Here is the link to setting up Xine to play DVDs and other media:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Xine

Since you seem to have the information i'll hijack the thread for a second and ask this: Do you need a /dev/dtv for xine to play the DVDs? I'm guessing no.

Something tells me i've not got this box QUITE setup right. I'm using the pre-built kernel included DVB drivers right out of the box. This works for Myth TV, but 90% of the other programs i've run across (xine particualrly) don't seem to be able to read the /dev/dvb/adapter0 stuff, it all seems to refer to a /dev/dtv device. Does this come from either the IVTV or Video4Linux configuration? And if so did I miss something?

What relivant devices does everyone have in their /dev and where are they comming from?

I seem to have:

/dev/dvb/adapter0/*
/dev/video*
/dev/radio*

--Douglas Wagner
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
skow

/dev/dtv and playing DVDs shouldn't have anything to do with each other. The dtv is for capture cards and I think it is created if you use the drivers from pcHDTV - with the new built-in kernel support you should have /dev/dvb as you mentioned you are using.

You should, however, have a /dev/dvd, /dev/dvdrw, /dev/dvdwriter and maybe a few others. Depending on what window manager you are running (gnome,kde,other) and how it is configured, the dvd may or may not get mounted automatically which is where Xine will actually be looking. I don't recall having to configure xine to play a dvd when pressing the DVD button - it has just worked. I'm using Gnome on FC5.

I believe I saw an option to tell MythTV to 'monitor for media' so it may do all the necessary mounting. If you configure MythTV to use Xine to play DVDs as the link in the previous post suggests, there is a chance that things will work when you go into Optical Media and click Play DVD.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:11 pm Reply with quote
douglasw0

skow wrote:
/dev/dtv and playing DVDs shouldn't have anything to do with each other. The dtv is for capture cards and I think it is created if you use the drivers from pcHDTV - with the new built-in kernel support you should have /dev/dvb as you mentioned you are using.

You should, however, have a /dev/dvd, /dev/dvdrw, /dev/dvdwriter and maybe a few others. Depending on what window manager you are running (gnome,kde,other) and how it is configured, the dvd may or may not get mounted automatically which is where Xine will actually be looking. I don't recall having to configure xine to play a dvd when pressing the DVD button - it has just worked. I'm using Gnome on FC5.

I believe I saw an option to tell MythTV to 'monitor for media' so it may do all the necessary mounting. If you configure MythTV to use Xine to play DVDs as the link in the previous post suggests, there is a chance that things will work when you go into Optical Media and click Play DVD.

Excelent, i've felt hamstrung since all documentation that seems to be out there for every piece of this installation (from xine, to the pcHDTV card, to myth, to lirc, etc.) all seem to have been written before the DVB modules made it into the kernel (admittedly that wasn't long back). I've been struggling the entire way trying to figure out if a step (like the dtvscan stuff) was necessary or not. The Kernel modules seem to have made everything much easer and all the documentation obsolete...go figure.

Anyway, i'll try setting this up in Myth when I get to it, i'm still having problems with LIRC, IRRECORD has detected every button on my remote with different signals, but IRW won't detect half the button presses I make (signals are going out, but IRW doesn't seem to be able to map them to the name I gave them in IRRECORD...it's REALLY funky).

--Douglas Wagner
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
skow

Ah, LIRC. I'm still working out a few kinks with that, but for the most part it works. Check out this thread:
http://venky.ws/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1100#1100

SiliconFiend has been much help.
Do I need both Xine-HD and MythTV with the HD-3000?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics