pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> pchdtv working with ubuntu dapper
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
pchdtv working with ubuntu dapper
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
keraba

Just a success report for anyone looking for a working platform. I installed ubuntu (the dapper branch), upgraded the kernel to 2.6.15, and it recognizes the card without a problem.

Getting it to work required a small change from pchdtv's directions. The firmware files needed to go in /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/ (which was something like 2.6.15-18... for me.)

After that, you can compile the cvs head version of dvb apps (so you can run atscscan and create a channels.conf file) and run mplayer, or go straight to mythtv. For the latter, use mysql version 4.1, not 5.0, because 5.0 complains about a field name that mythtv uses.

Hope this encourages someone.
How to create /dev/dvb/... devices
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
pyite

Hello there! I had things working nicely on Breezy, but I am getting this error on Dapper:

root@mythtv:~# dtvsignal -dvb 0
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
ERROR: failed opening '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' (No such file or directory)

It looks like the /dev/dvb/... device files are missing - how did you create them? I created them manually with mknod but still didn't have any luck.

Thanks,
Mark
Re: How to create /dev/dvb/... devices
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
steve

pyite wrote:
Hello there! I had things working nicely on Breezy, but I am getting this error on Dapper:

root@mythtv:~# dtvsignal -dvb 0
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
ERROR: failed opening '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' (No such file or directory)

It looks like the /dev/dvb/... device files are missing - how did you create them? I created them manually with mknod but still didn't have any luck.

Thanks,
Mark

As root, this should do the trick:

Code:
cd /dev && /sbin/MAKEDEV dvb

More generally, any time you want to create device nodes, just search /sbin/MAKEDEV for related strings to figure out what argument to pass it, and it will create the device nodes for you. Assuming you are using a static /dev directory, that is. If you are using udev or devfs, the device nodes should appear automatically.

-Steve
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote
pyite

As it turns out, I just had to add dvb_bt8xx to the list in /etc/modules, and now it is working perfectly.

Thanks,
Mark
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
upgrdman

im new to ubuntu and debians style of package management. i used to use gentoo. i installed mythtv and all its deps, as per the ubuntu/mythtv howto at:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_Dapper_Installation

i stopped at the step where they install the software for the "Hauppauge 150 / 250 / 350 / 500MCE" being as I have a pcHDTV3000. i dont know what i need to install though. i know in gentoo i installed some DVB stuff and kernel modules. but in a non-source based distro like ubuntu i dont know the appropriate steps to take to cleanly do what needs to be done. i know for sure that i do not presently have a /dev/dvb/...

I would rather not compile things by hand in the background unless i have to. I found out in the past it leads to files the package management system doesn't know about, and can lead to headaches if the system writes over one of my files, or installs a different version, not knowing i have an older version laying around, breaking stuff left and right. what a headache.

any help would be much appriciated,

--farrell f.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
pyite

It is always good to see a Gentoo convert Smile I'll try to help however I can.

You definitely don't have to compile from source. For the 2000, I just had to do the following.

FIrst, add the following lines to /etc/modules:

bt878
dvb_bt8xx

Second, put the firmware files into the appropriate firmware directory. For me, that means the following 3 files (I believe the first 1 is for a 2000 and the last 2 are for the 3000 but I am not positive. These should be downloadable from the web site):

dvb-fe-or51211.fw
dvb-fe-or51132-vsb.fw
dvb-fe-or51132-qam.fw

And the directory where I had to copy them was:

/lib/firmware/2.6.15-26-686/

I am a little bit disappointed that I have to re-copy every time the kernel version changes, there should be a generic /lib/firmware directory or something.

Good luck,
Mark
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
upgrdman

i added the two modules to the list, and i already had the three firmware files in the right directory. i restarted, and i still have no /dev/dvb Sad

and why does mythtv have to be such a bitch to setup. i forgot how i did it in gentoo, but i know it took me weeks to get it working right! if only the gnome team of HIG'ers would tackle it, and make a good setup wizard that was fail-resistant.
pchdtv working with ubuntu dapper
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics