pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> starting install on FC4 correctly? and where are plugins?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
starting install on FC4 correctly? and where are plugins?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
JimmyTheSaint

I've been reading through the forum for insights into installing pcHDTV on FC4. The info is scattered because people have experience with it already and are upgrading or troubleshooting. My first and best shot is to follow the included readme closely, in order, but it's a little ambiguous and my installation failed. Pardon my beginner questions if they repeat issues buried in other threads that I couldn't find.

pcHDTV's drivers and software downloads page lists instructions for 2.6.12+ and 2.6.6- kernels, so I can only conclude that my FC4 kernel, 2.6.11, requires no special downloads, only what's included on the pcHDTV CD. Despite that, the readme starts off with "to install xine you should first install the pcHDTV HD-3000 drivers which will patch the videodev.h with support for ATSC that is required by ths version of xine." So right off the bat it's confusing, since the CD is for FC4 that hasn't had the kernel updated to 2.6.12+. Am I missing something here?

I do step 1, Xine-hd Installation, without a problem, running ldconfig as instructed. I have 2 Nvidia cards with the latest driver to support SLI, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg2.run, which required rebuilding the kernel when I installed it.

Step 2, build xine-lib, fails. After ./configure, make gives me the errors:
color.c: In function 'vscale_chroma line':
color.c:498: error: invalid lvalue in increment
color.c:499: error: invalid lvalue in increment
make[3]: *** [color.lo] Error 1

followed by a few more errors as make unwinds.

The readme says after configure and before make to "Make certain that 'XvMC (Xvideo *static*)' is included in the video driver plugins." I can't find the plugins referred to, and the instruction doesn't give a clue. I have to assume that this is the source of my error, so I'd appreciate any advice how to check on those plugins, or anything else I might be missing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote
tupari

run yum update and reboot. The new kernel should have the drivers you need built in.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
JimmyTheSaint

tupari wrote:
run yum update and reboot. The new kernel should have the drivers you need built in.

I was afraid of that. This machine, for various logistical reasons, can't go online for at least a week, maybe longer, so any software updates would have to be burned to CD, then copied over. A real pain, so updates will have to wait, unless there's some simpler way to patch the problem than a kernel update.

Are you saying that the 2.6.11 FC4 kernel requires special installation instructions? If so, why does pcHDTV's docs only indicate installation instructions for 2.6.12+ and 2.6.6-? It's unsettling to leave users with out-of-the-box FC4 in such an ambiguous position.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
tupari

The tech support for the HD3000 isn't that great. It was 14 months from when I bought my card to the point where I got it usable. That was only when a usable version of pchdtvr came out last month (thanks ink!).

The newer kernels have hardware drivers for the HD2/3000 build in, which is why you need them. An updated kernel rpm is only 15mb, which should fit on a flash drive, or you could use split to chop it up into floppy size pieces. I don't know if the updated kernel rpm requies anything else. You'll probably want to update at least hwdata to be safe.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
JimmyTheSaint

tupari wrote:
The tech support for the HD3000 isn't that great. It was 14 months from when I bought my card to the point where I got it usable. That was only when a usable version of pchdtvr came out last month (thanks ink!).

You would think that basic instructions would be provided in the case of a clean install of the operating system on a computer that's being designed around the use of the pcHDTV. The lack of instructions for adding pcHDTV to an already running system is understandable, at least so far as you wouldn't expect the developers to have to account for every kind of installation. But this business of actively misleading instructions is strangely inconsiderate. I mean, why provide directions for kernels 2.6.12+ and 2.6.6- when FC4 comes with 2.6.11 out of the box? The implication is clearly that you don't need to add anything for 2.6.11, and if that's incorrect, the documentation actively misleads you into confidence.

Also, if there's some clue as to the location of the plugins referred to in pcHDTV's documentation that would help. Why would someone write an instruction that points to something that they then fail to point to? Can anyone tell me where these plugins are so I can check on them, or is installation so automatic on 2.6.12+ that people don't have to bother with checking on the plugins as the installation instructions tell you to?

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics