pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers -> Playing from /dev/dvb/... causes FE_HAS_LOCK to go away
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Playing from /dev/dvb/... causes FE_HAS_LOCK to go away
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
lardieb

Background:
I am using QAM and can get FE_HAS_LOCK using azap with signal strength numbers of f8xx or higher and snr number in the fdxx range.

I can get a "perfect" recording using test_dvr to record to a file and playing it back with xine.

I use test_dvr test.mpg 0x2000 to record.

I have dvb built into the kernel now and did see some improvements when I did that vs loading the module.

If I try to play directly from /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 with mplayer or xine I lose FW_HAS_LOCK and the image gets very choppy! Same problem if I use MythTV, which is my ultimate goal.

---edit
I guess it does not matter if I play from /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 or not. If I launch mplayer or xine to play my test file I lose lock
--end edit

I don't see any error messeage in dmesg.

System:
Athlon 64 +3500
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
GeForce 6600 PCIe
2GB system RAM
500 GB SATA HD

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
lardieb

OK, so I read
Reading from /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 harms lock
http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1157

and swapped out my Seasonic power supply for an Antec supply and still have the same problem.
More testing
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote
lardieb

I recorded Crossing Jordan on NBC last night and the parts I have watched (about 5 minutes) looked perfect. I recorded using dvr_test to my SATA HD. Looks like disk access does not have an impact.

When I watch it using mplayer It looks like I am using about 60% of my CPU horsepower. Does this seam high for an Athlon 3500+? I was thinking I would be using about 45%. Anyway....

When I record, as expected, I don't notice an increase in CPU usage.

All CPU readings done with top. Should I be using something else?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
dustsmoke

I had the same problem on 3 different motherboards infected with VIA chipsets. (KT333, KT400 and one was a hybrid with a via686a/amd760)

I tried everything from larger power supplies to changing IRQ's and PCI slots around to resolve it. One day I upgraded another system which gave me an extra nforce2 motherboard. Stuck it in and problem went away instantly. To boot I had another problem with a PVR-500 with these same motherboards. All of those boards would reboot spontaniously including 2 other KT133 boards I tried that card in. All of this went away with the nforce2 board.

I could be wrong... But I think those via boards or chipsets handle on the PCI bus incorrecly/badly. Try shutting X off and record something without it trying to play back sound at the same time. I would get the locking problem you described any time I tried to use another card on the bus at the same time. It didn't matter what PCI slot/irq configuration I had. (same with the reboots regaurding the 500 card) Some configurations were worse than others but no configurations cleared the problem. See if you turn all that off if you get the same problem "just recording". You can also just tune with azap and play back some music at the same time or something. If thats whats causing it for you, all I can say is try to find another motherboard.

I banged my head over this for months and months before I figured out a solution.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
dieter

> MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
> GeForce 6600 PCIe

} I had the same problem on 3 different motherboards infected with VIA chipsets.
} ...
} nforce2 motherboard. Stuck it in and problem went away instantly.

IIRC the Neo4 is nforce4.

Are you using the "nvidia" device driver? That is a known problem.
Try a different device driver, or a non-nvidea video card if you have one.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
Gendal

I have a MSI Neo board running gentoo on an amd64 with an agp 5200 card, and figured out a way at least for me to get around this problem.

With any nvidia driver version later than 8174 it has a terrible lock, it's basically unwatchable if X is running. With 8174 it runs great, and unlike the nv open source driver module is actually useable in HD. I can play most HD content at well below 40% utilization.

Also with the latest kernel 2.6.17 I had to apply the patch here:http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62021 to get it working. If anybody comes up with a better solution so you can use the latest drivers be sure to post! Curious if this works for anybody else too.

Also in case it matters my xorg.conf contains the following:
Code:
    Option "NvAGP" "3"
    Option   "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
    Option "NoLogo"
    Option "RenderAccel" "true"
    Option  "UseEdidDpi"      "FALSE"
    Option   "DPI"         "100 x 100"
Playing from /dev/dvb/... causes FE_HAS_LOCK to go away
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers