pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> 2nd tuner input Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
2nd tuner input
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:47 pm Reply with quote
jarodwilson

Okay, I see that there are two tuner inputs, and the web page for the card mentions there being two inputs. The docs I got with the card says one of them is the primary RF tuner input, but doesn't say anything about what the other input is for. Anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:29 am Reply with quote
elwood

My understanding is that's the normal NTSC tuner, so I've been trying to get the that input working all weekend. Unfortunately, the patched bttv driver I've been using doesn't list a tunable input to xawtv or mplayer, so I'm still searching this one out.

I hope to use it in myth as a second tuner for normal programming, but that's going to take some modifications to myth, being an NTSC card like other frame grabbers, and an ATSC streaming card. Myth doesn't like that architecture yet.

Brad
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:25 am Reply with quote
jarodwilson

elwood wrote:
My understanding is that's the normal NTSC tuner, so I've been trying to get the that input working all weekend. Unfortunately, the patched bttv driver I've been using doesn't list a tunable input to xawtv or mplayer, so I'm still searching this one out.

I have my antenna only hooked to the 1st input, and I get both NTSC and ATSC reception on that single connection. You just have to change the card over from ATSC to NTSC mode and vice versa to switch between the two, so it isn't the case that the second input is the NTSC tuner and the first is ATSC.

My only guess is that perhaps it is intended to be more or less the same as the first input, but to be used with a second antenna, and the card would choose based on signal strengty which one to use (in my case, I have a huge directional antenna pointed toward Seattle, and those are the only stations I get, but if I had a second directional pointed towards Tacoma, I could pick up a few more stations).

I take it back. I have another guess... Cable HDTV tuner, maybe? I can hope...

elwood wrote:
I hope to use it in myth as a second tuner for normal programming, but that's going to take some modifications to myth, being an NTSC card like other frame grabbers, and an ATSC streaming card. Myth doesn't like that architecture yet.

I'd REALLY like it if I could use that second input for cable, even if it were only the NTSC cable parts. My MythTV box doesn't have that many PCI slots... Still need to move it to my primary box, but I need to figure out how to get it to play nice with my PVR-250.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:44 am Reply with quote
elwood

My only hope that it is a second NTSC tuner is my current satellite tuner is the same way, one coax for the ATSC terrestrial input, one for the sat hookup, and a third coax for cable/other.

As for the PVR-250 co-exist, I've made some headway on that, but I'm not sure if I am 100% as myth doesn't see a tuner yet for my pcHDTV card. Rebuilding a newer kernel w/ v4l2 support as we speak.

Brad
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:22 pm Reply with quote
elwood

I found how to tweak the video_channel.flags field to specify which RF input to use, which should be useful for future features.

Some of my thoughts moving forward:

prepend a D somewhere in the myth channel config, signifying this is a digital channel. Use RF input for ATSC digital channels, and then use RF input 2 for NTSC channels. I need to take a look at the current myth implementation to see how this might pan out.

Mentally thats one good way to make sure that one channel config can be used for our dual tuner, what do you think?

Brad
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:22 am Reply with quote
WaxyLemon

I wrote a patch for the tuner module which takes module parameters to override the tuner input selection depending on the norm (atsc or ntsc). That way, I can have my uhf antenna on the main coaxial input and have ntsc analog cable tv on the auxiliary input. When set_tv_freq is called, the optional parameters set the requested input.

I haven't tested it since I'm not at home, except to verify that when I force it to use the wrong input, I get no signal from known OTA channels. So after I double check it if people are interested I'll post a patch.

This way MythTV (or any other bttv app) doesn't need to know or care where atsc comes from and where ntsc comes from. Many disadvantages though, like no ability to tune analog UHF channels or use aux as a backup antenna.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:35 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I'm interested! Exclamation
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:42 am Reply with quote
WaxyLemon

Here is the patch:
https://profilo.dyndns.org/myth/bttv-tuner-manual-override.diff

The patch does the following:

- Changes pcHDTV card definition to have 2 inputs (not 4), no svhs
- Returns input names as "Coaxial - Main" and "Coaxial - Auxiliary" instead of "Television", "S-Video", "Composite0", and "Composite1"
- Adds module parameters "ntsc_input" and "atsc_input" to module tuner

This patch is incomplete. Attempting to use the "Coaxial - Auxiliary" input will in reality open either S-Video or Composite since I haven't implemented that part yet, so I don't recommend doing anything with that.

After compiling and installing, use the patch like this:
insmod tuner ntsc_input=1

This will make it so when the norm is ATSC (HD) the device will use the default input (which defaults to Main), and when the norm is NTSC, the device will force the input to be Auxiliary. I tested this part and it seems to work fine for me.

The patch was made against the RH90-driver-rev-1.2 tree. Patch with -p1.

I'm out until Sunday... hope it works well.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I couldn't get any response from profilo.dyndns.org. Question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Kendrick

see my post (pchdtv and consumer periferals) for a offical answer
patch for dtvsignal.c either input
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:38 am Reply with quote
Ulmo

This is a small patch for dtvsignal.c for either input.

http://tinyurl.com/35xzm

The biggest problem I had is that I had stuff in /etc/modules.d/ivtv in case I ever move my ivtv ('350) card into that particular computer (which it currently isn't), and it had "options tuner type=2" in it (which automatically goes from there into /etc/modules.conf in my Gentoo system), so when tuner loaded, it hard-set type to 2, which does not do the special case necessary to set tuning mode to ATSC (not sure what the difference for that is) and/or second input. I have only tested "insmod tuner type=42" where 42 is TUNER_PHILIPS_ATSC according to the kernel (that could change since I noticed these numbers changing from patch to patch, so watch your kernel defines for that), but I still want to know:

A. Will module tuner work without type option hard-set? Yes; I answered my own question here:

This is what it said when it wasn't selecting second input properly because I had misconfigured the module tuner to have option type=2:

Code:

tuner: chip found @ 0xc2
tuner(bttv): type forced to 2 (Philips NTSC (FI1236,FM1236 and compatibles)) [insmod]
bttv0: using tuner=42
tuner: type already set (2)

This is what it said when it would tune either input properly when I loaded tuner with option type=42:

Code:

tuner(bttv): type forced to 42 (Philips 1236D ATSC/NTSC daul in) [insmod]
tuner: type already set (42)

bttv0 is attempting to set the correct tuner type, so I should be able to load tuner without tuner's type option:

Code:

$ dmesg
tuner: type set to 42 (Philips 1236D ATSC/NTSC daul in)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ GOOD!
bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
bttv0: loading dvr ...
bttv0: Warning Invalid Version Index Data
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ IS THIS OK?
bttv0: ver TU256602 VSB mode 06 Status 62
bttv0: finished loading dvr
$ dtvsignal /dev/video32 13 1
main: argc 4 argv[1] /dev/video32
channel 13
input 1
freq*16 = 3380
main: ioctl 1 rtn 0
main: ioctl 2 rtn 0
dtvsignal ver 0.1 - by Jack Kelliher (c) 2002
channel = 13 freq*16 = 3380
Signal:           |    .    :    .    |    .____:____.____|
Signal: 089 (089) #############################
$ dtvsignal /dev/video32 13 0
main: argc 4 argv[1] /dev/video32
channel 13
input 0
freq*16 = 3380
main: ioctl 1 rtn 0
main: ioctl 2 rtn 0
dtvsignal ver 0.1 - by Jack Kelliher (c) 2002
channel = 13 freq*16 = 3380
Signal:           |    .    :    .    |    .____:____.____|
Signal: 000 (000) .
$

So, the answer to A is yes. My goof.

BTW, it crashed the first time I tried fixing this. 2.4.23.

B. If I load tuner module without setting its type, then load both ivtv and bttv drivers, will tuner know which type to use? Will it have multiple settings?

I'm not going to test it right now, but I know some of you have both cards in one computer and could easily test that.

C. Someday, I'm going to get rid of all of my modules and load my kernel without modules, as much as possible. I wonder to what extent that will be possible with current code.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:31 am Reply with quote
Ulmo

kendrick wrote:
see my post (pchdtv and consumer periferals) for a offical answer

Thanks; your quote of a seemingly deleted message (or of a quote you took from elsewhere) is informative, but it does not seem to be referring to today's driver, since it works (I tested second input with dtvsignal). It's very easy to support, but does take two lines of code which aren't automatically inside programs.

I'm thinking of going to put a selection item in "freqid" in MythTV right now, so, e.g., channel "0-13-2" would be input #0 (numbered from 0 to 1), channel #13 (according to broadcast frequency), and programnumber 2 (the one they assign it in the stream, not the nth one of them; that station only has 1 program AFAIK). If I do it quickly, I'll bring back a patch.

Above someone already hard-coded the driver to select input according to frequency/channel. That will definately work for anyone willing to do that to their module/kernel.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:24 am Reply with quote
Kendrick

then my question ulmo since i havent goten the card yet is
1 will you be able to use both at the same time? ie record on one while viewing on the other?

2 wouldent that require registering bttv0 and 1 ? (new to the driver's)

3 can you switch between the two while running if you cant run them simo?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:33 am Reply with quote
elwood

I don't believe you can use them simultaneously, but yes, you should be able to switch between them. It is a matter of OR'ing in a flag in one of the ioctl calls.

Brad
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
WaxyLemon

oops, looks like I was firewalling https. if still interested, the patch is in the same place (see my earlier post for link). incidentally, i couldn't get a response from tinyurl.com to look at the other patch.
2nd tuner input
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics