pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> pcHDTV3000 Sound Help
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
pcHDTV3000 Sound Help
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
douglasw0

Ok, I'm sure this is simple and i'm just loosing my mind.

I'm getting no sound from my pcHDTV3000 card in my system, or at least I can't get it to play any sounds through MythTV.

Here's the setup: PC with the hdtv3000 card and a soundblaster Live! Digital Card, and a Sharp AQUOS 37D40U.

So, to start I decided to get system sounds to play out the TV's speakers. Connected a single mini-pin to RCA Audio cable (mini-pin, same as a standard headphone pin or speakers pin) connected from the "green" connector (front channel audio out) on the SB Live! card to the RCA Inputs (input 4 on the TV has both a HDMI Cable connection and RCA Audio (Left/Right channel)) on the TV, set sound levels through kmix and presto, when I:

aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

The startup sound comes right through the PC Speakers...so far so good. Now, i'm lost. THe next task, I assume, is getting the sound carried on the coax cable from the ATSC Signal to the soundcard. So far, i've tried leaving the mini->RCA cable plugged into the Green Soundcard connector and running Myth (seeing if the PVR Card pipes it's sound directly into the OS to be picked up by the sound card and pushed out through the output port), plugging the mini->RCA cable into the green audio out port on the pcHDTV3000 card (assuming that the sound from the pcHDTV Card was then spit out through the sound out of the card directly to the TV) and trying to connect the mini->mini patch cable that came with the pcHDTV card from the Green Audio Out on the pcHDTV Card to the light blue audio input on the SB Live! Card (leaving the Mini->RCA connected to the green audio out on the SB Live! Card).

The best I get is a "clicking"/static kind of sound out the TV speakers while MythTV is playing live TV with the mini->rca cable plugged into the sound out of the SB Live! card. With the mini->RCA plug plugged into the green audio out of the pcHDTV card, I get absolutely nothing.

This is using /dev/dsp as the sound output device in MythTV setup, if I use /dev/adsp I again get nothing (no clicks/static).

I'm being an idiot, I know I am, I KNOW this is easy and i'm just overlookig something...

Help?

--Douglas Wagner

Edit: WHile i'm asking stupid questions anyway, i've got an S/PDIF output on the card as well (it's a Digital brand of the SB LIve! Value), does this S'PDIF output work exactly like the front channel audio out? I know this is supposed to be digital sound, would I then run a different cable from S/PDIF output to a digital input on my TV for true digital sound? Will this play ALL sound (pc speaker, standard MP3, ATSC/NTSC Signal Sound? Or only a special digital broadcast sound? (i.e. will it only play sound for those shows comming in marked as surround sound or dolby digital available or will it also spit out analog sound through the port as well)?

Also, the connectors on the pcHDTV3000 card: THe coax connector is obvoius, below that at the bottom is an audio out (green), video out (yellow), above those an S-Video out. Those make sense. At the bottom there's a blue connector, which I can only assume is an audio in? What or why would that be used, and just below the COAX connector is another little hole, what the heck is that for?

Ok, I think for a linux/hardware guy of many many years i've embarased myself enough for one post.

Last edited by douglasw0 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
theyneverknew

try leaving the mini-RCA in the green output of your soundcard, but change the sound output device to "ALSA:default" in mythtv. Note: you have to actually type in ALSA:default as it isn't one of the inital options
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
douglasw0

Farther, thank you VERY much: Now getting:

2006-04-27 01:14:14.616 Opening audio device 'default'.
ALSA lib control.c:817:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL /dev/mixer
2006-04-27 01:14:14.628 Mixer attach error -2: No such file or directory
Check Mixer Name in Setup: /dev/mixer
2006-04-27 01:14:14.629 NVP: Disabling Audio, reason is: Mixer attach error -2: No such file or directory
Check Mixer Name in Setup: /dev/mixer
2006-04-27 01:14:41.767 TV: Attempting to change from WatchingLiveTV to None
2006-04-27 01:14:42.330 TV: Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
Destroying SipFsm object

Any clue for a Fedora Core 5 system what the mixer should be? /dev/mixer is a device listed in the dev directory...

--Doug
SOLVED!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
douglasw0

Thanks to you theyneverknew, you sent me down the right track.

The trick is to use ALSA:default (capatiilization important) as the sound output device and default (no ALSA, no Smile as the mixer.

ALl this is found in the mythfrontend general setup. Set those two and you should have sound.

THanks again for the help.

--Doug
Re: pcHDTV3000 Sound Help
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

douglasw0 wrote:

Also, the connectors on the pcHDTV3000 card: THe coax connector is obvoius, below that at the bottom is an audio out (green), video out (yellow), above those an S-Video out. Those make sense. At the bottom there's a blue connector, which I can only assume is an audio in? What or why would that be used, and just below the COAX connector is another little hole, what the heck is that for?

The RCA video connector and the S-Video connectors aren't outputs, they are inputs. You could connect a VCR to them for example.

The audio out would be connected to your soundcard's line in, so you can't connect something else to your soundcard's line in. This is what the audio in on the HD-3000 is for, to pass-though to your sound card. The little connector is for an IR remote control sensor (not included).
pcHDTV3000 Sound Help
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics