pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Audio for pcHDTV
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Audio for pcHDTV
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
ddalton

Is there a modprobe that I should add to find the pchdtv card's audio out? I cannot seem to get it to start outputting audio only video?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Open Kmix and try fiddling with the settings. I'm not completely sure what the red and green buttons mean, but when I click them off and on I can usually get the audio to work.

I know it's not too technical or scientific, but give it a try. Also, make sure the volume is turned up on the sliders.

Another program to try is to start alsamixer from a shell prompt.

If your using MythTV, there is an audio adjustment in there too.

Do you have sound on any other programs? To see what modules are loaded type lsmod in a shell prompt. I just did that on my laptop and here's some of the sound modules I got

Code:
snd_pcm_oss            50976  0
snd_mixer_oss          16384  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq                47564  0
snd_seq_device          8844  1 snd_seq
snd_intel8x0           30108  1
snd_ac97_codec         84000  1 snd_intel8x0
shpchp                 39232  0
snd_ac97_bus            2304  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                81032  3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              21764  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    50560  10 snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
JUST went through this myself...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote
douglasw0

Hi, newer poster here with maybe some helpful information.

Just went through this myself about 2 or 3 nights ago (post is midway up the forum here about sound).

First off, take a look at the mythtv.org documentation, it's got some actually useful information to it (not the wiki documentation, which is also useful, but the actual documentation off of the documentation link).

Here's the process I went through. First, after connecting everything, use aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav (I believe) to check that you have sound in Linux. If that doesn't work, you'll get no-where from here on out. Open KMix or alsamixer from the command line and set the stuff as you see it in the Myth Documentation: Master volume 100%, OPA (or whatever that is) 100%, Line IN device to 75%, and Capture to 100%. By and large XWindows is great these days at pickign up any soundcards you might hvae so my guess is either you have your devices muted (that's what the green and red lights do) or you have sound from your PC Speakers.

Once you have sound in X it's time to configure MythTV. Go into Myth's frontend and go to setup, general. On like the second page of general setup you'll see sound settings. This is where the actual Myth documentation helps where no other site I could find does...

Set your sound source from /dev/dsp to ALSA:default (capatilization counts) and your mixer to default.

Make sure to set the MythTV outputs up to 100% and turn your TV's volume or your PC Speakers all the way down so that you don't absolutely blow yourself out with too loud a sound.

So, at this point you have your mixer set to 100% sound and MythTV set to 100% sound and you know you're not muted...play live TV and turn up the tv/pc volume till you get a good level.

Hopefully this helps. Smile

--Douglas Wagner

Edit: Don't forget to enter the KDE Control Pannel and turn off the "sound system" (should be under "sound&multimedia" area), uncheck the box. Supposedly the sound system in KDE conflicts and causes problems with MythTV.
Sound question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
ddalton

I have my sound card working but my pchdtv isnt outputting any sound, I have it plugged directly into my reciever and it is outputting anything ?? why is this... I dont see it as a alsa device or at least I cant located it?
Re: Sound question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
douglasw0

ddalton wrote:
I have my sound card working but my pchdtv isnt outputting any sound, I have it plugged directly into my reciever and it is outputting anything ?? why is this... I dont see it as a alsa device or at least I cant located it?

I can tell you that via a pcHDTV3000 card, you do not need to connect any of the cables other than the coax line in from the outside antenna. The pcHDTV card will route it's sound through the motherboard to play on standard PC speakers (or from there to your sound card and out the standard outputs of the sound card.).

I do not have the patch cable attached and it's working perfectly for me.

As to plugging it directly into your receiver, i'm entirely unsure which port on the back is the audio out. I guess it could be the blue one or maybe it is the green one. The composite video connection on the back is confusing at best. The Yellow is obviously for composite video in, getting a signal from say a VCR. There should be a sound that goes with that (*mutter* technically there should be 2 sound ports that go with it, one white one red...unless i'm getting confused wth component video which should be green, blue, red...wonderful manufacturing including a green, blue and yellow port...matching none of the standards, but I digress.)

There is supposedly an analog out on the card somewhere (tho on my pc3000 there arn't enough ports for a Coax, SVideo, 3 Wire Composite and Audio out...that'd be 6, the back only has 5...) but I couldn't begin to tell you which it is.

HOWEVER your setup is pretty much identical to mine other than the fact i'm running the pcHDTV sound out to a TV instead of an Amp.

As far as I can tell, the pcHDTV card is NOT a sound card. It won't be recognized as an ALSA device, instead the "sound" from your NTSC or ATSC signal comes down the Coax, into the pcHDTV card, gets digitized and sent either via the motherboard to the sound card, or through a patch cable to the sound card, in all ways however the SOUND CARD is what will be outputting your sound for you, NOT The pcHDTV card.

This is only my limited knowledge of course, I could be DEAD wrong, the only gaurentee I make is that if you follow my advice you will be moving some cables around on your system...I gaurentee nothing else beyond that. Smile (Shamelessly stolen from another forum today which ended his post with "and may God have mercy on your soul.")

Try unplugging any patch cables you have and setting your amp to receive signal from your sound card (either the single green pin which is front left/right audio out, or the green and black pin which is front left/right rear left/right audio out. Or of course there's always the S/PDIF (digital) or other digital out ports.)

--Douglas Wagner
SDPIF
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
ddalton

I appreciate your response, I do have my sound working through the CD player to the SPDIF out but still no sound from tv (using myth)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

There are two different ways to get sound from the HD-3000, depending on if you are captung analog NTSC or digital ATSC.

If you are using digital, then the AC-3 encoded sound is part of the same MPEG digital stream that has the video. It's transfered over PCI along with the video the a player program, like mplayer or xine, which decodes it and plays it out your soundcard. In this case where the audio comes from, mixer settings, sound volume really has nothing to do with the HD-3000. It's all about your sound hardware is setup and your player program. No different than if you were playing a video you downloaded or a DVD and didn't even have an HD-3000 installed.

If you are using the analog tuner, the sound comes out the green 1/8" phone jack on the HD-3000 card. This is the only place to get the analog sound. The chip used by the HD-3000 has the ability to capture this sound over PCI like a sound card, but the HD-3000 has this disabled. Why, I have no idea, but it is.

If you connect a VCR/DVD/Laserdisc/STB to the the composite or S-Video input, there is no sound on the HD-3000. Composite and S-Video are video only of course, so how could the HD-3000 capture sound from them? You would connect your VCR/whatever to your souncard's line-in to capture sound from it. There is a volume control for this sound output, but it's not part of the ALSA or OSS and so not done with a soundcard mixer program. It's set via video4linux. Whatever program is using the V4L device will have the set it. With tvtime, the setting is under Input Configuration -> Audio Volume Boost.

In summary:
    Digital: The audio/video part of the digital stream, your player program plays it and after the HD-3000 provides it the the player, it isn't involved at all.
    Analog from the TV Tuner: The sound comes out the green connector.
    Analog from Composite or S-VHS: HD-3000 has nothing to do with the sound, use a soundcard.

Last edited by xyzzy on Mon May 01, 2006 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
ddalton

Thats kind of what I thought, how to I set the volume on v4linux on boot or store it so I dont have to load tvtime?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

ddalton wrote:
Thats kind of what I thought, how to I set the volume on v4linux on boot or store it so I dont have to load tvtime?

So you can get audio if you start tvtime? The default driver settings are max volume and mute on. You can change these settings from the command line with v4lctl which is part of xawtv. If you want unmuted to be the default, you'll need to set it in the driver. I think you can just change the default_value of V4L2_CID_AUDIO_MUTE from 1 to 0 in cx88-video.c
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
douglasw0

xyzzy wrote:
If you are using digital, then the AC-3 encoded sound is part of MPEG digital stream that has the video. It's transfered over PCI along with the video the a player program, like mplayer or xine, which decodes it and plays it out your soundcard.

Ok, question for you, the AC-3 sound: Does this mean that since i'm pulling down HDTV, that sound should be routeable out both my S/PDIF connector on my soundcard as well as out the "green" audio out on my card? And if so, is there some setting in MythTV I should be setting to get this?

I know next to nothing about the s/pdif audio out, getting sound out it, digital sound, etc. I'm guessing since i've got my connector working from the green audio out of my soundcard to my TV (single pin to red/white RCA) that even for shows with like dolby or such i'm getting analog sound out to my TV's speakers. Is it simply a matter of moving the connector to get a better digital sound or is it more complicated than this?

--Douglas Wagner
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
ddalton

If you are decoding HDTV , no NTSC at all, then you dont need the pchdtv line out to line in connector it is stored in the mpeg, there is no setting in mythtv ASAIK
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
theyneverknew

douglasw0 wrote:
xyzzy wrote:
If you are using digital, then the AC-3 encoded sound is part of MPEG digital stream that has the video. It's transfered over PCI along with the video the a player program, like mplayer or xine, which decodes it and plays it out your soundcard.

Ok, question for you, the AC-3 sound: Does this mean that since i'm pulling down HDTV, that sound should be routeable out both my S/PDIF connector on my soundcard as well as out the "green" audio out on my card? And if so, is there some setting in MythTV I should be setting to get this?

I know next to nothing about the s/pdif audio out, getting sound out it, digital sound, etc. I'm guessing since i've got my connector working from the green audio out of my soundcard to my TV (single pin to red/white RCA) that even for shows with like dolby or such i'm getting analog sound out to my TV's speakers. Is it simply a matter of moving the connector to get a better digital sound or is it more complicated than this?

--Douglas Wagner

If you have a separate audio receiver with a digital in that can decode the ac3 audio then you can set mythtv up for digital audio passthrough. However if you only have your TV speakers which is the way it sounds then there's no reason for you to change anything.
Continued problems with sound
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
icman

I read all the posts in this thread. For whatever reason, I cannot get the HD3000 card to recognize any digital signals from my provider. I think that all the digital signals are encrypted.

However, I can capture all the analog signals if and only if I set up the card in MythTV as an analog card with v4l driver support. Annoying, but a start. Obviously from previous posts, capturing sound across the PCI bus with btaudio is no good, so I picked up a male-male stereo headphone cable and plugged from the audio out on the HD3000 to the line in on my sound card. I don't like the cable hanging on the back on the system, but it works.

Unfortunately, the video lags behind the audio by 1-2 seconds, and I cannot figure out why this is happening.

Can someone please help me?
Audio for pcHDTV
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics