pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> hd-5500 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
tupari

I notice in the specs "All-software HDTV decoder". Doesn't the 3000 have a hardware decoder, so it can be used with older machines?
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
kmj0577

tupari wrote:
I notice in the specs "All-software HDTV decoder". Doesn't the 3000 have a hardware decoder, so it can be used with older machines?

No, it doesn't. It only passes along the stream, which is why you can record with it on older machines with no problem (assuming it's fast enough to write ~19.2 mbps). Playback is another matter, for that you need a fairly good machine (and even more for good deinterlacing on 1080i). The only reasonably priced tuner that I know of that has a hardware decoder is the MDP-130.
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:42 pm Reply with quote
tupari

NM, I found the spec page for the 3000 and it has the same line. FYI: http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_3000_right_down.html

tupari wrote:
Re: hd-5500
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
croy

hubbe wrote:
Just noticed the me mention of hd-5500 on http://www.pchdtv.com/. Can anybody shed some light on what this new card is and what it can do?

I can't comment quite yet. But I have ordered one and will be installing it shortly into my MythTV box.. I need a second OTA tuner card to join my HD-3000 card. It will be interesting to see how things work out.

I should be getting it some time late next week.
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
johnb

Quote:
The only reasonably priced tuner that I know of that has a hardware decoder is the MDP-130

Good choice, unfortunately the Linux drivers are still under development:
http://myhd.sourceforge.net/index.php
tuning question
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote
johnb

I have a simle question. This is my first Linux MythTV box and I'm in the research phase. I noticed in the FAQ the explanation of the LEDs on this card and ATSC/NTSC modes. I need both ATSC and NTSC reception. Is it possible to program your channels such that the unit switches modes automatically as you surf the programmed channel listings? What I meean is, if I program channels 1, 2, 3 where 1 and 3 are NTSC and 2 is ATSC, will I be able to surf from 1 to 2 to 3 with my remote control seamlessly?

Thanks
Re: tuning question
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
kmj0577

johnb wrote:
I have a simle question. This is my first Linux MythTV box and I'm in the research phase. I noticed in the FAQ the explanation of the LEDs on this card and ATSC/NTSC modes. I need both ATSC and NTSC reception. Is it possible to program your channels such that the unit switches modes automatically as you surf the programmed channel listings? What I meean is, if I program channels 1, 2, 3 where 1 and 3 are NTSC and 2 is ATSC, will I be able to surf from 1 to 2 to 3 with my remote control seamlessly?

Thanks

I believe the way MythTV and the drivers treat them as separate inputs (at least that's the way the 3000 does). i.e. the ATSC stuff goes to /dev/dvb/adapter[0-9] and the NTSC stuff goes to a /dev/video[0-9]. Therefore you will have to switch which input MythTV uses to switch between ATSC and NTSC. I'm sure there's some hacks you can do to get around this, but unfortunately that's the way it is.

Quote:
Good choice, unfortunately the Linux drivers are still under development:
http://myhd.sourceforge.net/index.php

Unfortunately, yes. Shame you can't even get video on it yet in Linux. I would have gone for that in a second if it had Linux support fully (or at least 75%). I may order a 5500 just to see how good it is.
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
croy

johnb wrote:

Thanks

AFAIK, right now MytvTV only lets you use the HD-3000 as an ATSC tuner. No NTSC functionality. Apparently MythTV 0.20 will let you use the HD-3000 (and presumably the 5500) as an ATSC and NTSC tuner.

I'm not sure if the way you want to scan channels between ATSC and NTSC will work the way you describe. This is mainly because I have never tried. I think that is works as you describe, but I can not confirm so.
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Drag0n

I just received my hd5500 and am trying to get it installed under Gentoo. Still having some problems getting the modules to load, but I will try and work that out. What I do have a question on is, when looking at the card, I noticed a connection off the tail end of the board. but nothing to connect to it, it looks like a port for some type of expansion card or ribbon cable. Anyone have any idea what this is for?

Drag0n Question

P.S. Also, since this card uses different drivers, and is set up a bit different, can we have a seperate forrum for this card setup?
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
darkwire

I'm using gentoo and the 2.6.16-ck10 kernel from portage, and after trying to fight with the stock drivers from that kernel. I gave up and ended up just setting the DVB section on module.

Then did a make of the kernel-2.6 tree from the cd that came with the hd5500, card is detected and set up correctly I assume. I have not really been successful in tuning, but I was able to tune some garbage + partial picture off a local religious HD channel. I know my signal is good since I can test with normal ATSC STB tuner.

modprobe cx88-dvb yields this :

cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.5 loaded
May 25 11:35:31 [kernel] CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47,autodetected]
May 25 11:35:31 [kernel] TV tuner 64 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at 0x1fe
May 25 11:35:31 [kernel] tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
May 25 11:35:31 [kernel] tuner 2-0061: type set to 64 (LG TDVS-H062F/TUA6034)
May 25 11:35:31 [kernel] cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:00:0a.2, rev: 5, irq: 153, latency: 176, mmio: 0xe3000000
May 25 11:35:31 [kernel] cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card
May 25 11:35:31 [kernel] DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
May 25 11:35:31 [kernel] DVB: registering frontend 0 (LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM Frontend)...
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Jim

Are there any drm issues hidden in the new card? should I keep my several hd-3000's just in case of the flag or analog hole stuff? See EFF dot org for acronym decoding. I have a spare hd-3000, want to swap so I could play with a hd-5500?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
kmj0577

Jim wrote:
Are there any drm issues hidden in the new card? should I keep my several hd-3000's just in case of the flag or analog hole stuff? See EFF dot org for acronym decoding. I have a spare hd-3000, want to swap so I could play with a hd-5500?

AFAIK, there is nothing requiring flags yet.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
firefly2442

croy wrote:
johnb wrote:

Thanks

AFAIK, right now MytvTV only lets you use the HD-3000 as an ATSC tuner. No NTSC functionality. Apparently MythTV 0.20 will let you use the HD-3000 (and presumably the 5500) as an ATSC and NTSC tuner.

No, I've gotten the HD-3000 card to do only NTSC under MythTV 0.18

it worked fine for me, had to make sure the right drivers were installed and configure some things but I can confirm that it works. Smile
Re: low profile?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Grodesh

pyite wrote:
Will the 5500 include a low profile backplane? I don't see one in the picture.

I'm also interested to know about this, but couldn't find any answer on this forum.
hd-5500
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics