pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> [solved] Gentoo and pc-hd5500
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
[solved] Gentoo and pc-hd5500
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Drag0n

I am trying to get the drivers and card working under Gentoo with kernel version 2.6.16-r7. i have custome compiled every option i can think of, but am not sure i have it righ as when i try and load the driver modules i get the following spew and errors.. I see the card through lspci so it seems to be working.

modprobe -v
cx8800

gleep ~ # modprobe -v cx8800
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/videodev.ko
WARNING: Error inserting videodev (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/videodev.ko): Invalid module format
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/btcx-risc.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/v4l1-compat.ko
WARNING: Error inserting v4l1_compat (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/v4l1-compat.ko): Invalid module format
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/v4l2-common.ko
WARNING: Error inserting v4l2_common (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/v4l2-common.ko): Invalid module format
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/compat_ioctl32.ko
WARNING: Error inserting compat_ioctl32 (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/compat_ioctl32.ko): Invalid module format
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/tveeprom.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/video-buf.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/common/ir-common.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88xx.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx8800.ko
FATAL: Error inserting cx8800 (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx8800.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

insmod -v cx88-dvb

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/dvb-pll.ko
WARNING: Error inserting dvb_pll (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/dvb-pll.ko): Invalid module format
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/cx22702.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko
WARNING: Error inserting dvb_core (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dvb-core.ko): Invalid module format
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/lgdt330x.ko
WARNING: Error inserting lgdt330x (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/lgdt330x.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/cx24123.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/zl10353.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/nxt200x.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/video-buf-dvb.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/or51132.ko
WARNING: Error inserting or51132 (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/or51132.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/mt352.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-vp3054-i2c.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/videodev.ko
WARNING: Error inserting videodev (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/videodev.ko): Invalid module format
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx8802.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko
FATAL: Error inserting cx88_dvb (/lib/modules/2.6.16-gentoo-r7/kernel/drivers/media/video/cx88/cx88-dvb.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

and dmesg reports this

dmesg

dvb_pll: exports duplicate symbol dvb_pll_configure (owned by kernel)
dvb_core: exports duplicate symbol dvb_unregister_adapter (owned by kernel)
lgdt330x: Unknown symbol i10Log10
or51132: Unknown symbol i20Log10
videodev: exports duplicate symbol video_device_release (owned by kernel)
cx88_dvb: Unknown symbol or51132_attach
cx88_dvb: Unknown symbol dvb_pll_thomson_fe6600
cx88_dvb: Unknown symbol lgdt330x_attach
videodev: exports duplicate symbol video_device_release (owned by kernel)
v4l1_compat: exports duplicate symbol v4l_compat_translate_ioctl (owned by kernel)
v4l2_common: exports duplicate symbol v4l_printk_ioctl (owned by kernel)
compat_ioctl32: exports duplicate symbol v4l_compat_ioctl32 (owned by kernel)
cx8800: Unknown symbol v4l_printk_ioctl_arg

What am i missing here? is there something i am overlooking or doing wrong?

Drag0n

Last edited by Drag0n on Thu May 25, 2006 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
[solved] pc-hdtv gentoo install problem
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Drag0n

Ok, i figured out what i was doing wrong, i removed all the modules i had compiled in the kernel and then reinstalled the modules that i downloaded from the web site and it loaded perfectly.

Drag0n
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
serrs

I was doing the exact same thing that you were doing at the same time. I too am using Gentoo, but opted for the vanilla kernel source.

One thing the readers should understand, removing just the DVB hardware modules from the kernel is not good enough. You must remove the DVB core subsystem etc. (atleast this was my experience)
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:41 pm Reply with quote
serrs

I was doing the exact same thing that you were doing at the same time. I too am using Gentoo, but opted for the vanilla kernel source.

One thing the readers should understand, removing just the DVB hardware modules from the kernel is not good enough. You must remove the DVB core subsystem etc. (atleast this was my experience)
v4l-dvb not compiling on Gentoo /linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r7 amd6
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote
jblake20

How did you guys get the drivers from pchdtv to compile on Gentoo?

Mine stops here

make -C /sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l
make[1]: Entering directory `/sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l'
scripts/make_makefile.pl
creating symbolic links...
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.15-gentoo-r7/build SUBDIRS=/sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l modules
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r7'
CC [M] /sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/flexcop-pci.o
In file included from /sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/flexcop-common.h:20,
from /sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/flexcop-pci.c:10:
/sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/dmxdev.h:79: error: field `filter_mutex' has incomplete type
/sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/dmxdev.h:103: error: field `dmx_mutex' has incomplete type
In file included from /sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/flexcop-common.h:21,
from /sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/flexcop-pci.c:10:
/sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/dvb_demux.h:131: error: field `demux_mutex' has incomplete type
In file included from /sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/flexcop-pci.c:10:
/sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/flexcop-common.h:80: error: field `i2c_mutex' has incomplete ty
pe
make[3]: *** [/sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l/flexcop-pci.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.15-gentoo-r7'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sfw/v4l-dvb/v4l'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I had to resort to installing Suse 10.1, dual booting on the same machine. I ended up getting the card to work there, I have other issues, like not sound, but it is recognizing the card and seems to be working.

Any thoughts on my error:

here is my emerge info:
emerge --info
Portage 2.0.54 (default-linux/amd64/2006.0, gcc-3.4.5, glibc-2.3.6-r3, 2.6.15-ge
ntoo-r7 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.15-gentoo-r7 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14
dev-lang/python: 2.4.2
dev-python/pycrypto: [Not Present]
dev-util/ccache: [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache: [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake: 1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool: 1.5.22
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/gentoo/ http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo/ http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.us.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac alsa amd64 audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdr cli crypt cups dri dts dvd dvdread eds emboss encode esd exif expat fam ffmpeg flac foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gpm gstreamer gtk2 idn imlib ipv6 isdnlog jack joystick jpeg kde lcms lirc lzw lzw-tiff mad mjpeg mng mp3 mpeg mysql ncurses net nptl ogg oggvorbis opengl pam pcre pdflib perl png pppd python qt quicktime readline reflection sdl session spell spl ssl tcpd threads tiff transcode truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev usb vorbis xinerama xml2 xmms xorg xpm xv xvid zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset: ASFLAGS, CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Do i Need to enable emul-32bit or something..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:21 am Reply with quote
serrs

jblake20:

I'd try... rm -rf v4l-dvb and unpack and "make" again. It seemed to keep kernel information for me on subsequent makes, and errored out.

Might try a real minimal 32bit gentoo install too? Was your SuSE install 64 or 32?
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
jblake20

yes it was an suse 64 install.

The only issues I am having with this HD playback.

And HD playback is terribly slow. this is an AMD 64 3700+ 1024, chip, it is real fast.

My pentium 4 HT 3.0ghz, plays it back no problem. The sound is only coming out as stereo, shouldnt this card record 5.1 surround sound.?
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote
darkwire

I am getting Dolby Digital out of mine, it highly depends on the content being shown, and you gotta make sure your player is on audio Passthrough.

For alot of commercials, I see my receiver dropped to Dolby Surround, then when the show starts, it switches back up to Dolby Digital. Behaves just like my STB HDTV receiver.

I doubt the card auto encodes everything to Dolby Digital.
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

The problem you got when you tried to build is due to a change in kernel 2.6.16. The drivers are supposed to be able to handle this and be compatible with older kernels.

The version of the drivers that I downloaded from pcdhtv.com looks like it has some mistakes in it. Since they included the Mercurial version control information, you can see some last minute changes they made by running "hg diff", if you have Mercurial. I'm pretty sure these changes are not correct.

You can remove them by running "hg revert" if you have Mercurial. For the HD-5500, you can probably fix everything you need to by editing the file v4l/compat.h. At the last KERNEL_VERSION at the end of the file, change the number from 2,6,14 to 2,6,15. Remember to use commas and not periods!
yep that worked like a charm
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote
jblake20

changing the number from 2,6,14 to 2,6,15 worked

You da Man!

At least it compiles! Very Happy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
sds

Could you please give more details about how you were able to install the HD-5500? I also have a SuSE 10.1 on an x86_64 (K8T Opteron) system.

In my case, an attempt to use YaST loads the needed kernel modules, but no tuner could be configured?
Did you use some of the other preconfigured cards (I've heard the Dvicos have the same LG tuner)?

On the other hand, the attempt to build the drivers and/or the tools fails quickly as it seems the locations of some needed for the compilation libs are hardcoded... And why isn't there a 'configure' script?

In short, your answer would be much appreciated Smile

jblake20 wrote:
yes it was an suse 64 install.

The only issues I am having with this HD playback.

And HD playback is terribly slow. this is an AMD 64 3700+ 1024, chip, it is real fast.

My pentium 4 HT 3.0ghz, plays it back no problem. The sound is only coming out as stereo, shouldnt this card record 5.1 surround sound.?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:12 am Reply with quote
jblake20

Hi,

I just blew away my suse 10.1 install the other day, since I got my gentoo system working, I needed the disk space.

I realy didnt have any trouble, I downloaded there latest drivers and following there instructions. I believe all I had to do was install the kernel sources from yast, that is needed to compile the drivers. you also may need GCC which also loads clibs, etc. Sorry I cant be more help, but since I dont have my instance running anymore, I cant go check anything. But minimally. Get kernel sources, gcc, clibs from yast, download drivers, make and install. then modprobe
cx88_dvb should work. Good luck.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
peemus

I also had this problem, here is my setup:

Kernel gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1 without v4l or dvb compiled in kernel or as a module. I had to use a fresh extract of the driver tar file and edit the v4l/compat.h file as stated above. Once that was done it compiled fine.

Should somebody contact the driver authors to let them know about this? It seems to be something that needs to be fixed in the driver. IMHO.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

The pcHDTV released drivers are based on the v4l-dvb driver tree at linuxtv.org. The tree there is in constant flux with bug fixes, code refactoring and feature changes. Support for the LGDT330x front end is not quite complete at linuxtv.org. If you go join the v4l-dvb mailinglist you can see some of the discussions on how to report signal strength in the driver.

pcHDTV has used a method in the past to determine signal strength for the HD2000 and HD3000 that has worked well. However, this hasn't been adopted by the driver writers at linuxtv.org yet. Reading signal strength and SNR are the two functional differences provided by the pcHDTV driver. pcHDTV is working on a patch that will allow users to update the current v4l-dvb driver with the SNR/Signal Strength capabilities.

The problems that exist in the pcHDTV build, also exist in the v4l-dvb tree at linuxtv.org, but most have been corrected. pcHDTV is working to identify a stable point in the v4l-dvb tree where it will be possible to release a second version of the driver. Hopefully, we will be able to get signal strength/SNR support into the v4l-dvb tree, then pcHDTV won't need to maintain and distribute a separate branch.

HTH,

Rusty
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:07 pm Reply with quote
peemus

tech,

I didn't quite understand all of that but I do have complete faith that you guys know what you are doing, and just to be clear, I am very appreciative! So thanks!

<-- One happy customer. Very Happy
[solved] Gentoo and pc-hd5500
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup