pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> bleeding with the 5500
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
bleeding with the 5500
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
serrs

I started out typing a long error report... But noticed in the output that I was getting some kernel symbols redefined after alot of work I found I had to remove ALL "DVB" out of my kernel to install the one from the v4l-dvb package from pchdtv. (I never read this anywhere)

So if you get something like this (when you modprobe cx88-dvb):
Code:
May 25 15:36:26 av dvb_pll: exports duplicate symbol dvb_pll_thomson_dtt7579 (owned by kernel)
May 25 15:36:26 av cx22702: disagrees about version of symbol dvb_pll_configure

Then you need to remove all DVB support from your kernel config and re-compile... I made sure that I removed all my modules out of /lib/modules/* just to be safe before populating it.

Couple things:
I'm running a fresh Gentoo with vanilla sources 2.6.16.18. The instruction sheets that I received are a little confusing. The instruction sheets (in the box) say that the drivers are included in 2.6.18. Well, there is a problem there, there is no 2.6.18 available yet. There isn't even a 2.6.17 released.

I don't know what kind of volume pchdtv is moving, but I hope they are making enough money that they can afford to do some more complete documentation. This is rough... I imagine mostly because this is the first dvb board I've ever had.

Thanks,
Scott
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
serrs

I guess a good step would be to have an authoritative source for install/setup. Currently, the CD is different than the Driver download Readme... both are different from the instruction sheets. The FAQ seems not to address the 5500 yet.
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

Well first of all, while I feel your pain that the documentation is rough. It is also not meant to cover every distribution and configuration under the sun. Gentoo is completely "user configurable" so writing a document that tells you how to install for a generic Gentoo install is nearly impossible.

All DVB support should be compiled as kernel modules, not directly linked into the kernel.

The "direct support included in 2.6.18" comes from the pull schedule of the linuxtv folks (who maintain the DVB driver) and the kernel release schedule. 2.6.17 has been frozen which means only bug-fixes are pulled from linuxtv. When 2.6.17 is released and 2.6.18 is created, there will be a new base pull from linuxtv which will include the HD5500 card. Misleading? perhaps, but true nonetheless.

BTW did you get all of your install issues fixed by recompiling?

HTH

Rusty
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
serrs

Thanks Rusty... for both of your posts.

I figured that the instruction sheets were "future proofed" -- planning on the box being opened after 2.6.18. But I worried that 2.6.18 was a typo, and that I didn't need anything more than 2.6.16.18.

I did get it working... Again, I had to remove the entire DVB section from the kernel.

I am trying to use the analog /dev/video0 feature now with mencode since this is headless box. When I checked the digital side it seems to work fine scanning the channels and even looking for a signal, unfortunately I don't have my antenna setup yet.

Something you could help me with: If I put "Digital CableOne" into this, will I be able to see digital signals? 70% of the US should be able to do this?

On the instruction / Gentoo topic... I agree. But, the thing I'm looking for is some really loose guide for people that normally build their own kernels. This transcends distributions.... This would have been very helpful:

Quick Guide for most people that compile their kernel from source:

Code:

KERNEL CONFIG:

- make sure you have 2.6.12 or newer
- make menuconfig
   Device Drivers  --->
      Multimedia devices  --->     
          <M> Video For Linux
                  [ ] DVB For Linux
(ensure the kernel's DVB will not conflict with pchdtv's "driver pack")
- rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.[x]
  to be safe
- make && make modules_install
- cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-2.6.[x]

DVB Subsystem Overlay

- (make sure your kernel DOES NOT HAVE DVB already)
- download the v4l-dvb drivers off the net.
- tar -xzf xxx ; cd xxx
- make && make install
- reboot (boot the new kernel without old crusty modules)
- modprobe -v cx8800
- modprobe -v cx88-dvb
- check "dmesg" for errors
- try "dtvsignal xx" and "dtscan"
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
darkwire

I am able to pick up the digital cable signal, and scan for it in dtvscan. Although I have no luck with the card finding a signal it can read though. Lots of channels and it gets a strong digital signal, but its just blank or throws all sorts of messages during dtvscan.

OTA ATSC works fine though Smile
bleeding with the 5500
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup