pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> FC4 - Athlon64
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
FC4 - Athlon64
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
rab45

I have two systems that are almost identical - both running FC4 and have Athlon 64 processors (with identical motherboards and nvidia cards and HD-3000 cards). One of the systems until a couple days ago had been running FC2. The other system has been running FC4 since day one and the HD-3000 has been running fine. I didn't upgrade the FC2 system because the HD-3000 has been working fine using xine and dtvstream. So now I've upgraded from FC2 to FC4 but cannot get the HD-3000 working again. I downloaded the frimware files and tried to make both systems identical. (Both are patched and upgraded the same running the same kernels - 2.6.16-1.2111). If neither were working or I had never had the HD-3000 working under FC2, I might not be so surprized. The dvb devices are created. dmesg shows that the driver is loaded. Hardware browser sees the device. When I run dtvsignal, the program runs but there is no signal. Same with pchdtvr - it runs but it doesn't see a signal. I split the signal between the computers and the FC2 system saw the signal a couple days ago. The other FC4 sees the signal (from one antenna). Any suggestions for something to check? This was why I waited so long before trying to upgrade from FC2 to FC4.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:12 am Reply with quote
rab45

I shutdown, removed the power cord, and rebooted just to make sure. Still cannot view digital channels. I did happen to run camstream (which I ordinarily use with a usb webcam) and it displays an analog channel from the HD-3000 card so the card is working. There has to be some problem with /dev/dvb but I'm at a loss as to what. I can't find any difference between this FC4 system and the other working FC4 system.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote
rab45

I forgot that for FC4 (and I guess all FC), the firmware files go in "/lib/firmware" and not "/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware". Now both FC4 systems are operational.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Jim

Thanks for coming back with your solution. So many people finally figure something out that they had done wrong/right, but leave the rest of us hanging.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote
rab45

What I've learned about computers and software is to never give up - it always works eventually!

Now that I have the tuner working, I'm having problems viewing the recorded broadcast using both xine and mplayer. Again, the two systems are virtually identical so I'm at the moment at a loss to understand why the other FC4 system displays the recorded file without problems but the other system's display is very jerky at best and unwatchable.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics