pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Diagnosing no POST (or what does an HD2000 look like?)
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Diagnosing no POST (or what does an HD2000 look like?)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
andrewc6l

I've got an HD2000 which used to work fine. Recently, I took it out and put it back in my machine - and now I have no POST as long as the card is in any PCI slot.

One thing I did in the process of removing the card and reinstalling it was drop it. After the drop, there's a component Y2 in the middle of the right hand side of the board on the right hand side that is suspicious, and I'm worried that it might have been sheared off. Right now, it looks like a plastic rectangle with two leads coming up through it, and nothing more :-/

What does Y2 look like on a healthy HD2000? And if I've killed my board, how can I fix it? Can I get another (whatever Y2 was) and solder it on? Does pcHDTV offer repair services?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Jim

Probably a capacitor, does it have any numbers or letters on it? I only have hd-3000 cards. Is it near any chips? can you tell what pin on the chip it is connected to? Numbers on chip? Capacitors are used for many functions. One is to couple a signal from one circuit stage to another. Might be simple fix. number of chip and pin might be same on my hd-3000. pins are counted clockwise from the bottom of chip..There is a number one pin marking on a chip..a bevel. a dot etc...
OH Y2... does it look like a metal covering? or a tiny cylinder? maybe it is the crystal or ceramic resonater (same thing funtionwise) It is the clock... "quartz control" etc of the whole card. Very cheap, but must know its characteristics...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:49 pm Reply with quote
andrewc6l

Yep, a crystal sounds about right - it's an rounded-rectangle-shaped metal can. Numbers on top: 1028.636. Any idea how to determine the frequency / replacement part?

Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
andrewc6l

Looking closer, it's TQ28.636. Is that a crystal? Any ideas about frequency?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

That is a crystal, 28.63636 MHz. It provides the clock to the Bt878 chip. You found the part that got knocked off, so that's how you can read it?

This is the only picture of an HD-2000 I could find on bttv-gallery. Is it the long skinny black thing in the middle of the right side, just to the right of the small surface mount chip? That doesn't look like a crystal from the picture, but it's relly hard to tell. Normally crystals are labeled, 'Y', so maybe it is.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
andrewc6l

I must have an earlier revision of the board - I've got way more stuff on mine than that picture.

I got word back from pcHDTV support that Y2 is indeed a 50 MHz crystal. Even better news is that they'll repair the card for $20 + return shipping.

Did I mention that I love pcHDTV? I was *not* looking forward to testing my SMT soldering skills Smile
Diagnosing no POST (or what does an HD2000 look like?)
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics