pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HD-3000, Cable/Satellite, MythTV
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD-3000, Cable/Satellite, MythTV
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote
tijoev

I have recently moved to an area without OTA. I was hoping to use my HD-3000 cards with QAM for my MythTV. The cable provider here does not offer any unencrypted HD content.

Is anyone using their HD-3000 to capture decrypted cable/satellite channels? Is it even possible?

Mahalo
Joe
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
flostog

It's not possible. There is hope that someday we will be able to incorporate a cable card into our systems and do this - but I'm not holding my breath.

You should be able to get the local stations unencrypted however. It was my understanding that by law, the cable companies were not allowed to encrypt them.

Ron
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

Quite true. The FCC does NOT allow for cable companies to encrypt anything in the lowest tier of cable programming, and requires that any local broadcasters are included in that tier.

The cable company isn't always required to carry the local broadcasters though, and it may carry their analog station but not their digital stations, if they have a digital station . I think there is some must carry rule, that if the analog station is carried and the broadcaster has X hours of HD content, they have to carry the HD version.

If the cable co does carry a local ATSC broadcaster, they must carry it in full, all subchannels, unencrypted, and with all(*) PSIP data the broadcaster provides.

(*) Nearly all. They certain things they can drop, see 47 CFR 76.640.

As to cable card for computers, that'll never happen. At least never a TV card you can buy and put in any computer, with linux drivers. Even the TV cards we have now will probably be outlawed soon.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
tijoev

xyzzy wrote:
Quite true. The FCC does NOT allow for cable companies to encrypt anything in the lowest tier of cable programming, and requires that any local broadcasters are included in that tier.

The cable company isn't always required to carry the local broadcasters though, and it may carry their analog station but not their digital stations, if they have a digital station . I think there is some must carry rule, that if the analog station is carried and the broadcaster has X hours of HD content, they have to carry the HD version.

If the cable co does carry a local ATSC broadcaster, they must carry it in full, all subchannels, unencrypted, and with all(*) PSIP data the broadcaster provides.

(*) Nearly all. They certain things they can drop, see 47 CFR 76.640.

As to cable card for computers, that'll never happen. At least never a TV card you can buy and put in any computer, with linux drivers. Even the TV cards we have now will probably be outlawed soon.

Can you (or anyone) point me to a link or the actual law name so I can research this.

Seems that on Ohau, all of the networks are available via OTA but there is minimal results with pchdtv cards and QAM there.

I am on Maui and there are now digital signals available via OTA. The cable is the same as Ohau.

Joe
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:31 pm Reply with quote
tijoev

[quote="tijoev"]
xyzzy wrote:
I am on Maui and there are now digital signals available via OTA. The cable is the same as Ohau.

Meant to say No digital signals.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

Just do a google search for 47 CFR 76.640, that will find it the law. It's the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 47 part 76 section 640. Section 630 deals with scrambling of basic tier services.
HD-3000, Cable/Satellite, MythTV
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics