pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Specify device name for SD tuner
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Specify device name for SD tuner
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
billprozac

Ok, more of a linux general question, but I hoped you guys would know as it is right up your alley. My server has (at this point) one 5500(man that thing is sweet) and one pvr500. The first tuner on the pvr always gets /dev/video0 but the 5500 and the other pvr tuner fight over video1 and video2. I do not want to use the SD portion at all. Can I specify the device name that the SD tuner will get or simply disable it all together? OS = Fedora 5.
Re: Specify device name for SD tuner
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

billprozac wrote:
Ok, more of a linux general question, but I hoped you guys would know as it is right up your alley. My server has (at this point) one 5500(man that thing is sweet) and one pvr500. The first tuner on the pvr always gets /dev/video0 but the 5500 and the other pvr tuner fight over video1 and video2. I do not want to use the SD portion at all. Can I specify the device name that the SD tuner will get or simply disable it all together? OS = Fedora 5.

For the HD-5500, you can control which /dev/videoX device it will be with these options to the cx8800 module:
parm: radio_nr:radio device numbers (array of int)
parm: vbi_nr:vbi device numbers (array of int)
parm: video_nr:video device numbers (array of int)

Put something like this in your /etc/modprobe.conf:
options cx8800 video_nr=2 vbi_nr=2

That will make your HD-5500 always be /dev/video2 and /dev/vbi2. For the PVR-500, maybe the ivtv driver has an option to do the same thing?
Specify device name for SD tuner
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup