pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

Animefreak3 -
It is possible that the linuxtv snapshot that pcHDTV used to release the drivers on their website and on the CD conatined the same bug that is present in kernel 2.6.16. Could you try pulling down the latest snapshot from linuxtv.org? If you have mercurial installed you can just do
Code:
> hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
or go to http://linuxtv.org/repo and follow the instuctions for getting the latest sources through the web interface.
This doesn't explain your issues getting NTSC from the HD5500 card though but it could potentially solve both issues. I'll see if I can't free up a 64 bit machine here to test SuSE 10.1 on.

Hope this helps.

Rusty
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

Let us take this back to my thread so you don't get confused k? (you have a whole forum to keep track of) ...but yeah, will do boss.

Oh, btw I don't think opensuse for Intel is gonna be any different than, 64bit opensuse. For that matter outside of a few tweaks I don't consider kernel/kernel there to be any difference between distros. One thing I wanted to check back with "grendel" if he came back, opensuse likes to set everything in their kernel to modules. (he was on Gentoo) This has been an issue for other projects.
Re: Multiple troubleshooting steps in one thread...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote
proudhawk

pcHDTV_tech wrote:
First of all, proudhawk you state you tried a clean install of the OS without any updates, but then claimed to have installed the drivers as well. SuSE should support the HD2000 right out of the box wihtout needing to install anything from pcHDTV. Try an actual "clean install" and if you did and still get those errors, then file a SuSE bug because they missed something in their module compile.

per your suggestion, I tried (again) an actual, 100% clean install of the OS (suse 10.1 kernel-2.6.16-4-default-i586).

after installation, configured the card as called for in the yast configuration dialog. card claimed to be:
1. pchdtv-2000 tv card (ntsc)
2. pchdtv-2000 DVB card 0
3. bt878 tv capable card

in this known clean install, given all configuration steps, 2 things ocurred:
1. the dvb entries in /dev were *not* created
2. the card was not tunable in either ntsc or atsc modes

now, first you state "SuSE should support the HD2000 right out of the box wihtout needing to install anything from pcHDTV" and then you go on to state below, in effect, a negation of the statement above. then you sggest that I file a bug report with suse, in direct conflict with the statement below. this situation is an exclusive "or" statement. either statement 1 (the suse installation specifically has a bug) is correct or 2. that your drivers are broken to any kernel later than 2.6.16 or above and will not work properly. so? which is it really?

pcHDTV_tech wrote:

A clean SuSE setup should tell you that it recognized an HD2000 video card and establish a TV device for it. You have to do a little noodling in YaST to get the digital DVB stuff setup. All drivers for the HD2000 were working. Recently, it was discovered that the drivers for the HD2000 were broken around 2.6.16 kernel (At least the kernel version used to build FedoraCore5). However, those drivers will still load without error, they just won't produce NTSC video from the card. You are experiencing a module dependency issue, which means (on a clean install), that the drivers as supplied by SuSE were not compiled correctly.

Rusty

as stated above, I did a clean install. had there been any module problems, they would have shown up as errors in the dmesg (which did not happen).

I can concurr that ntsc is totally broken (so much so that running tvtime or any other tv application results in a application lockup).
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

The new drivers fail to build properly. This is not surprising since they are "snapshots" direct from CVS. I have zero(0) NTSC. We have one person who said they have NTSC "working" from Gentoo. The Tech claims they work for fedoracore5. (on which they were developed)

ceteris peribus: we're talking about the hd5500 and the 2.6.16++ kernels
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:57 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

There is a bug in the bttv driver that makes it crash or otherwise not work when V4L1 is disabled. This bug has probably been there a while, since turning off V4L1 was added. Here is a thread about it.

I posted a patch for this Jul 20th, and Mauro came up with a more encompassing fix for the underlying problem that was included in the v4l-dvb sources in Jul 23rd. That made it to the v4l-dvb git tree on Jul 25th, and a pull request has been sent to Linus. It hasn't shown up in the kernel yet, but should be in 2.6.18.

If you are using bttv (ie. HD-2000) then you should either update your drivers to the newest source, or make sure you turn on both of the V4L1 options when you compile. I'm not sure if this effects cx88 (HD-3000/5500) or not. It could.
NTSC Works on HD5500 for me
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
tzf

Hi,
NTSC reception works fine for me, I get all the channels I get on my TV.

Here's my setup:
Old TV antenna on the roof->
RCA VH121 (20dB) RF amp->
~7dB 4-way splitter->
pcHDTV HD5500 (postmarked 7/17/2006)->
ASUS Vintage2 PH1 (Motherboard: P5LD2-V, with Intel 945G chipset)
Antec Smartpower2.0 400W PS
Pentium D 920 (2.8 GHz)
2 x 513MB DDR2 5400 Ram (667MHz)
Seagate 7200RPM 500GB SATA
SUSE 10.1, with every goddamned package from the downloaded DVD installed.
Kernel 2.6.16.21-0.13-smp

Now I gotta figure out how to get DTV reception ;^) (the test in the howto works!)

tzf

NTSC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote
animefreak3

I still don't have a clear answer why mine does not, or a test to show how I can make mine work.

My setup:

Cox cable
Apple G5 + 1.25GB DDR
WD Raptor 10k RPM
HD5500
OpenSUSE 10.1 PPC

Last edited by animefreak3 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

There was a lot of broken stuff with V4L and 64-bit arches. There are now patches in linuxtv.org's drivers that should fix everything.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote
tzf

Hi AnimeFreak,
I hope you don't think I was implying that you should do what I did, my own experience has been far too painful ;^)

I do hope that getting more data points can help you towards a solution. I'm assuming you know that RF that's too hot is just as bad as RF that's too low - thus I gave some data on my setup re: RF amplification and splitter loss.

But most of my own problems seem to have been kernel module and package-dependency related. That, and the occasional short between the headphones.

I wish I had a signal strength meter so I could tell you what RF level I'm actually putting into my card, and you had one so you could compare it to yours. But if you're getting DTV reception, then your RF level is probably OK... well, that's taking a lot for granted, but so be it, we have to make some assumptions don't we? If you have a TV with an antenna (NTSC) input does it work with the same cable attached? I know I'm being low-brow but sometimes it's useful to suggest the obvious. Maybe you can return the favor and tell me what I'm obviously doing wrong ;^)

Persevere!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

xyzzy, GOOD NEWS!!!! I got this: v4l-dvb-d317f3397a84.tar.bz2

Now tv time shows no error, but is smart enough to tell me I'm not gonna get to watch any NTSC. ;)

It is progress of A SORT. I can even now access menus even! I can tell it to ignore the signal meter at all, and just show me what I'm getting. I'm getting snow. This means the tuner is not working.

dmesg |grep -v Novell |grep cx88
CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47,autodetected]
cx88[0]/2: found at 0001:06:03.2, rev: 5, irq: 53, latency: 16, mmio: 0x91000000
cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card
DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
cx88[0]/0: found at 0001:06:03.0, rev: 5, irq: 53, latency: 16, mmio: 0x93000000
tuner 8-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (cx88[0])
tuner 8-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
cx88[0]/1: CX88x/0: ALSA support for cx2388x boards

dmesg |grep cx88 |grep Novell
cx88xx: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
cx88_vp3054_i2c: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
cx8802: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
cx88_dvb: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
cx8800: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
cx88_alsa: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.

* I split out the Novell crap out as a kindness for the eyes.

Last edited by animefreak3 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
tzf

animefreak ,
You done did what? I'm already all done read up!
;^)

Ok then, here's a question r 2 you can answer:
where exactly did you find that file?
what exactly problem did it fix?

thanks ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

Last edited by animefreak3 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
tzf

Wink

Last edited by tzf on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Re: Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote
proudhawk

anyway, this is an update on my situation...

proudhawk wrote:

This is going to concern me as well considering that I also have a cphdtv-2000 card and use opensuse 10.x. I have not yet had a chance to test this as I am involved in other projects.

my last experience with the -2000 card was that it worked in NTSC, but onlyif I used the included utility programs from the original cd for it and ONLY if I compiled the xine-hd materials included and ONLY on pre 2.6.8 kernels. getting ATSC to work was another matter (hit or miss).

well, I cannot report that NTSC is working in my -2000 card. HOWEVER, in this thread, I did detail how I got it working CLEANLY in opensuse 10.1:

http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1587&highlight=

there is one important point in that thread: you MUST have the dvb scripts install (per yast) or it won't create the /dev/<devices> links....

I didn't get any further than this (except for testing the signal strenghth using the tools provided). I did discover that there was a cold solder joint on the antenna terminal to the card. a simple fix (resoldering) took care of the lack of signal problem on the input. all is well now.... I just need to get back to this and compile the xine libs and programs to see how well this card works on a 900 Mhz athalon. more on this later. Smile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

xyzzy,

They're not better. They're worse. NTSC not only doesn't work on /dev/video0, but /dev/dvb0 won't come up now either? YaST only sees one side of the tuner. No wonder the error tvtime threw up went away. I'm make unload'ing this set.
Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup