pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
animefreak3

I'm seeking additional help regarding my thread here:

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1569

update: I tore down my working wintv based mythtv box, and replaced the wintv card with the HD2000 card. After all it should do NTSC right? It does not work.

last update: I'm going to make a claim[1] now. After trying out all kinds of configurations on a stock OpenSuSE for amd64, NTSC on these cards does not work. I'm using the version of v4l-dvb that arrived on my CD for the HD5500. At this point if someone can prove me wrong with more than a simple "I think mine should work just fine, not sure why your's does not?", or the "Your card must just be bad." Feel free, but I want evidence of the fact.

Evidence: In this case is a clear, and reproducible method for getting NTSC working on both pcHD* cards I have to test with. (I don't own a HD3000 card, but someone else can feel free to test their's for this point)

[1] My claim: I don't think NTSC was ever tested to be working. In fact, after much testing I think it was a point on a data sheet.

If my claim is not settled in a timely manner I'll be requesting a "feature refund" for half the cost of my HD2000, and two thirds of my HD5500 as they both seem to do ATSC well.
Re: Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
proudhawk

animefreak3 wrote:

update: I tore down my working wintv based mythtv box, and replaced the wintv card with the HD2000 card. After all it should do NTSC right? It does not work.

This is going to concern me as well considering that I also have a cphdtv-2000 card and use opensuse 10.x. I have not yet had a chance to test this as I am involved in other projects.

my last experience with the -2000 card was that it worked in NTSC, but onlyif I used the included utility programs from the original cd for it and ONLY if I compiled the xine-hd materials included and ONLY on pre 2.6.8 kernels. getting ATSC to work was another matter (hit or miss).

still, I concurr with animefreak3 on this, if NTSC doesn't work under my current env, I too might consider requesting a "feature refund" for the lacking capability. I will update later when I can install and test in a machine not already allocated to something else.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

Those drivers have been depricated for the new dvb drivers in the current kernels. (2.6.12++) There is also a new xine-hd up on pcHDTV's downloads section. It's beautiful. Good news is ATSC has become easy as shooting dirt.

BTW, I don't want to say anything too nice b/c every time I do people screw it up. I love these guys, just look at how they handled the eeprom feature request. I seriously doubt we'll need to request any sort of compensation. I'm betting it'll be fixed like they fix everything else. I just wanted them to realize I'm serious. (plz guys don't let us down)
I kinda agree
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
tedet

I can get some NTSC reception . . . _SOME_. First, the driver issue was a pain. And I would love for some one to tell me how to compile Xine_HD in ubuntu - dapper - x86_64.

My biggest problem is my tv's internal HDTV decoding can pull all the local signals, but the LG card can kinda get 2 or three channels
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:33 am Reply with quote
proudhawk

animefreak3 wrote:
Those drivers have been depricated for the new dvb drivers in the current kernels. (2.6.12++) There is also a new xine-hd up on pcHDTV's downloads section. It's beautiful. Good news is ATSC has become easy as shooting dirt.

BTW, I don't want to say anything too nice b/c every time I do people screw it up. I love these guys, just look at how they handled the eeprom feature request. I seriously doubt we'll need to request any sort of compensation. I'm betting it'll be fixed like they fix everything else. I just wanted them to realize I'm serious. (plz guys don't let us down)

well,
here is my update.

system: suse 10.1 (2.6.16.21-0.13-default #1 Mon Jul 17 17:22:44 UTC 2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux)

cpu:
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 6
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 896.983
cache size : 256 KB

full kernel_source and kernel_syms and gcc installed.

here is the dmesg output so far (this is, by far the cleanest of the 4 attemps but I am still having 2 problems: 1. no dvb entries are created in /dev and 2. unknown symbol in module problems):
btcx_risc: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
bttv: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
bttv: driver version 0.9.16 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0b.0, irq: 11, latency: 64, mmio: 0xcedfc000
bttv0: detected: pcHDTV HD-2000 TV [card=112], PCI subsystem ID is 7063:2000
bttv0: using: pcHDTV HD-2000 TV [card=112,autodetected]
bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=0000007f [init]
i2c-algo-bit.o: bt878 #0 [sw] passed test.
bt878: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
bt878: Unknown symbol bttv_read_gpio
bt878: Unknown symbol bttv_write_gpio
bt878: Unknown symbol bttv_gpio_enable
bttv0: using tuner=42
bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (bt878 #0 [sw])
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
bttv0: add subdevice "dvb0"

unless I can get the system to create a 'dvb' entry in /dev, this card will not work (pcHDTV-2000).

this last dmesg was from a known clean installation of the OS. The previous instance yielded some strange (and inconsistent) results.

since this is the case, I am fairly certain that mythtv will not work this device without the dvb entries being present in the /dev subsystem.

I do know this: this card previously WAS working in a pre kernel-2.6.8 env with the older model drivers and worked in both ATSC (over the Air) and NTSC modes. In this incarnation (> kernel-2.6.15), neither mode will work, period.

the only think I can think of is that I am missing something simple in my build env here (either a missed lib, or an incomplete sources package.

I would appreciate a complete list of the packages and sources needed to properly compile this driver for my card. otherwise, I cannot report it as successfully working (yet).
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

An unknown symbol error means a module failed to load. You are not getting DVB because the bt878 driver is not loading.

My guess would be that your are somehow mixing the drivers that came with the kernel and the drivers you compiled. This will not work!

In order to build the the drivers you need only the kernel source (*). It must be the source to the same kernel version you are using. This is all you need besides things you must surely have, like gcc, make, and perl.

The v4l-dvb driver build system must find the correct kernel source (the source for the kernel you are using). If you change kernels or install new source somewhere, run make distclean to make sure it's not using the old source still.

By default, the drivers will look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build for the source. If this isn't a link to the correct source, or doesn't have the source in it, it will not work. You can run make release DIR=/path/to/kernel/source to point the drivers to your source.

(*) You don't need the entire source, just a small subset relating to configuring and building the kernel. In theory, a distro could have a package that contains just this part. Just get the entire source and don't worry about it.
Evidence
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
grendel

Forgive if I misunderstand the question, but as I understand it, you are looking for testimonals from folks who are able to watch plain old tv signals (NTSC) using a pchdtv 5500 card?

If this is your question, then here's a data point: mark me down as a pcHD5500 customer who has working NTSC. I'm on cable, comcast customer in Albuquerque, NM. I have a digital/hdtv box, but wire coming out of the wall carries both atsc and ntsc (*) .

I'm using gentoo, 2006.0, fully updated. I'm using the 2.6.15 kernel (last version that nvidia drivers work with).I use gentoo's genkernel, which creates a ramdisk and autoloads all modules for my hardware ($ genkernel --xconfig --bootloader=grub all". Disabled all dvb drivers from xconfig. Built and isntaleld kernel drivers from the pchdtv install cd: "$ make; make install; reboot". "$ lsmod" shows all kinds of cx88* drivers installed.

It was then just a matter of attaching cable tv wire to pchdtv card, installling and running tvtime:

$ emerge tvtime
$ tvtime

And it displays tv in a window. There was no setup, really (**), I get all my ntsc channels.

I've also successfully captured some ATSC streams using atscscan, azap and cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > testfile.ts , still figuring out how that works.

Next question is how to get myth to capture *both* my NTSC channels and my ATSC channels using the pchdtv card? It seems to only want just NTSC or ATSC. (I'll post what I find on this later).

-Bill

(*) At least this is the hypothesis most strongly supported by the evidence I've collected through experimentation. It's a working theory waiting disconfirmation Smile.

(**) - I've glossed over a few details about getting sound, X, xvmc, wireless, nvidia, firewire, java etc etc etc. But the hardware works Smile
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
proudhawk

xyzzy wrote:
An unknown symbol error means a module failed to load. You are not getting DVB because the bt878 driver is not loading.

The v4l-dvb driver build system must find the correct kernel source (the source for the kernel you are using). If you change kernels or install new source somewhere, run make distclean to make sure it's not using the old source still.

By default, the drivers will look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build for the source. If this isn't a link to the correct source, or doesn't have the source in it, it will not work. You can run make release DIR=/path/to/kernel/source to point the drivers to your source.

ok,
I tried from a clean install with NO updates of any kind. what follows is a result of that...

******** dmesg *********
btcx_risc: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
bttv: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
bttv: driver version 0.9.16 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bt878: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
bt878: Unknown symbol bttv_write_gpio
bt878: Unknown symbol bttv_gpio_enable
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0b.0, irq: 11, latency: 64, mmio: 0xcedfc000
bttv0: detected: pcHDTV HD-2000 TV [card=112], PCI subsystem ID is 7063:2000
bttv0: using: pcHDTV HD-2000 TV [card=112,autodetected]
bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=0000007f [init]
i2c-algo-bit.o: bt878 #0 [sw] passed test.
bttv0: using tuner=42
bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
tuner 0-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (bt878 #0 [sw])
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
bttv0: add subdevice "dvb0"

further checking reveals that no dvb devices were created.

I have attempted to make sure all relevant packages were installed (perl, kernel-source, kernel-syms, gcc, automake, autoconf and some others).

the above dmesg was a result after a reboot of the system (in order to make the new modules effective).

I have gone as far as I can go with this without getting developer help.
Re: Evidence
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
animefreak3

grendel wrote:
Forgive if I misunderstand the question, but as I understand it, you are looking for testimonals from folks who are able to watch plain old tv signals (NTSC) using a pchdtv 5500 card?

If this is your question, then here's a data point: mark me down as a pcHD5500 customer who has working NTSC.

That is great Bill. Care to help all of us figure out why all of our's doesn't work?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

proudhawk wrote:

I tried from a clean install with NO updates of any kind. what follows is a result of that...

I don't understand, clean install of what?
Quote:

You have the same problem, the bt878 driver is not loading. If the driver does not load, you will not have DVB support.

My guess is that you have installed mutliple versions of the bttv module and the wrong one is getting loaded.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote
proudhawk

[quote="xyzzy"]
proudhawk wrote:

I don't understand, clean install of what?
Quote:

clean install... thats rather obvious what it is. a clean install of the OS (and the tools therein)

xyzzy wrote:
proudhawk wrote:

You have the same problem, the bt878 driver is not loading. If the driver does not load, you will not have DVB support.

My guess is that you have installed mutliple versions of the bttv module and the wrong one is getting loaded.

the make install portion of the script REPLACES the modules on the system. there is, at that point, NO POSSIBILITY that the wrong ones will get loaded as the old ones were overwritten.

now. I would appreciate it if you were a bit more helpful. so far, you haven't told me anything new. I did, after all, request some developer help on this......
Multiple troubleshooting steps in one thread...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

First of all, proudhawk you state you tried a clean install of the OS without any updates, but then claimed to have installed the drivers as well. SuSE should support the HD2000 right out of the box wihtout needing to install anything from pcHDTV. Try an actual "clean install" and if you did and still get those errors, then file a SuSE bug because they missed something in their module compile.

A clean SuSE setup should tell you that it recognized an HD2000 video card and establish a TV device for it. You have to do a little noodling in YaST to get the digital DVB stuff setup. All drivers for the HD2000 were working. Recently, it was discovered that the drivers for the HD2000 were broken around 2.6.16 kernel (At least the kernel version used to build FedoraCore5). However, those drivers will still load without error, they just won't produce NTSC video from the card. You are experiencing a module dependency issue, which means (on a clean install), that the drivers as supplied by SuSE were not compiled correctly.

Rusty
Re: Multiple troubleshooting steps in one thread...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

pcHDTV_tech wrote:
Recently, it was discovered that the drivers for the HD2000 were broken around 2.6.16 kernel

I happen to know he's using this kernel: uname -r
2.6.16.13-4-default
Re: Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

animefreak3 wrote:
I'm seeking additional help regarding my thread here:

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1569

OK, now I'm quite confused. In your thread, referenced above, I have been helping you debug the cx8800 and the cx88-dvb module which is the driver for the HD3000 card not the HD2000 card which uses the bttv and dvb-bt8xx driver modules. Could you clarify which you have? (Perhaps I'm just confusing the point where you switched to the HD2000 from the HD5500.)
animefreak3 wrote:

last update: I'm going to make a claim[1] now. After trying out all kinds of configurations on a stock OpenSuSE for amd64, NTSC on these cards does not work. I'm using the version of v4l-dvb that arrived on my CD for the HD5500. At this point if someone can prove me wrong with more than a simple "I think mine should work just fine, not sure why your's does not?", or the "Your card must just be bad." Feel free, but I want evidence of the fact.

SuSE will support the HD2000 right out of the box with the drivers that are in the kernel. Only the HD5500 is not recognized by kernels between 2.6.12 and 2.6.17. Any of those kernels should run the HD2000 and HD3000 without needing to install drivers from pcHDTV. In your other thread I don't think you mentioned you had an HD2000 card, could you try a fresh install of SuSE without installing any pcHDTV drivers and see what you get?
animefreak3 wrote:

Evidence: In this case is a clear, and reproducible method for getting NTSC working on both pcHD* cards I have to test with. (I don't own a HD3000 card, but someone else can feel free to test their's for this point)

[1] My claim: I don't think NTSC was ever tested to be working. In fact, after much testing I think it was a point on a data sheet.

If my claim is not settled in a timely manner I'll be requesting a "feature refund" for half the cost of my HD2000, and two thirds of my HD5500 as they both seem to do ATSC well.

Well, if you want evidence that NTSC works on your cards, then switch to FedoraCore5. However, I think what you want is a way to get it working on SuSE. I have had both HD2000 and HD3000 cards working on SuSE 10.1 but not on a 64 bit platform. I don't currently have a 64 bit machine I could swap to SuSE but I will check around.

Rusty
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

Rusty, no confusion. If you can settle my thread please do so. Yes, I do own a HD2k as well, and I tried it out with the new drivers. As you said NTSC is broken under 2.6.16.
Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup