pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

The dvb device is /dev/dvb/adapter0, not /dev/dvb0. If the device doesn't appear and the DVB driver loads ok, then you must have udev misconfigured on your system.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote
proudhawk

xyzzy wrote:
The dvb device is /dev/dvb/adapter0, not /dev/dvb0. If the device doesn't appear and the DVB driver loads ok, then you must have udev misconfigured on your system.

at this point, it doesn't really matter. dvb works (mostly because the dvb script from the yast installer installs the correct entries).

as an FYI, its generally pretty hard to misconfigure udev (its pretty much install and forget). only real experts (of which I am not) should ever mess with its configuration.

anyway, the isse was getting NTSC working under it (and that is currently broken on the 2000, 3000 and 5xxx series cards in kernel 2.6.16 and above..

next.......

TMH
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:42 am Reply with quote
animefreak3

if I reinstall the old set from the cd, and the frontend0 comes up... then are these drivers proven bad and not my udev? is that a fair test

#######

he's right something has changed.. I'm gonna back track, and try to get back to a known good state again.

###

This so far does not bod well for the new set. I am once again going to reset my kernel-set, and now I'm gonna rerun the old drivers. if they can bring up /dev/dvb the new set still needs work for 64bit to work at all. (note: while I scanned chan in hd I never actually viewed them, as this was not my goal at the time)

###

You know I give up. You win, this is never gonna work. They changed kernels on us btw too. I have two build logs for you xyzzy if you want them emailed some place? once each for both the new hotness, and old cruft. (start.log, and end.log respectively) I can't roll back to the old kernel, so I'm at an end now.

I see now this is a dream, not worth dreaming. Maybe if I put this in amd64 I might get some functionality. Maybe I might even get NTSC some day. They might have said 64bit need not appy, or 64bit is in testing only. Some sort of warning since I researced everything else I could.

cheers & good luck

dud owner of

HD2000 - amd64
HD5500 - ppc64

others
dvb-tda8275 - amd64
wintv
eyetv500

((cries now))

###

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1608
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
lbljeffmo

I have the hd-5500 working with ntsc at video0.

Im running gentoo x86 with 2.6.16-r5 kernel (i think....im posting this from work, but ill double check that when I get home).

I actually had almost no trouble at all getting ntsc working...however I am having some resistance getting any reception on antenna digital channels (although, im not too surprised, i get crappy reception where I live anyway).

-Jeff
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
lbljeffmo

Oh, and ill go ahead and add, that the ntsc tuner is still HORRIBLE looking.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

Jeff, x86, and not amd64? This issue does seem centered all around the 64bit arches.
Almost there with analog
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
cfr131

I almost have the analog side working in Myth. I have the digital side working great, but not the analog. When I tune to an analog channel, I get about 3 seconds of picture and sound, then the video pauses for about 3 seconds When it comes back it is all snow and just noise. I get this for about 3 seconds and then the pause again, then snow/noise for 3 seconds, repeat.

During this time the backend outputs the following error during each pause:
VIDIOC_DQBUF: Input/output error
Not sure where to go next?

Suse 10.1
HD-5500 using V4L card type

Another data point. With kdetv I am able to view the video. However, under Video there are two entries for the HD-5500
Video4Linux2 pcHDTD HD5500
Video4Linux pcHDTV HD5500
Either seems to work.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

That sounds similar to what happens if you try to use both the digital device (DVB) and the analog device (V4L) at the same time. I don't use Myth, but maybe it's keeping the DVB device open when you try to watch analog TV? Try watching something off of the S-video or composite input and see if that works. You can use V4L and DVB at the same time, just not the tuner with V4L at the same time DVB is being used.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:40 am Reply with quote
cfr131

xyzzy wrote:
That sounds similar to what happens if you try to use both the digital device (DVB) and the analog device (V4L) at the same time. I don't use Myth, but maybe it's keeping the DVB device open when you try to watch analog TV? Try watching something off of the S-video or composite input and see if that works. You can use V4L and DVB at the same time, just not the tuner with V4L at the same time DVB is being used.

That was it, Thanks. In Myth under the DVB card there is an option to tell Myth only open the DVB card when it is needed. Selected that, all seems to work. Any suggestion on another way to setup the drivers to allow either analog or digital capature?

Thanks again.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quote
cfr131

cfr131 wrote:
xyzzy wrote:

That was it, Thanks. In Myth under the DVB card there is an option to tell Myth only open the DVB card when it is needed. Selected that, all seems to work. Any suggestion on another way to setup the drivers to allow either analog or digital capature?

Thanks again.

A follow up question. I haven't hooked anything to the S-video, but since it uses the V4L device, I assume I'll see the same thing? The problem I am now seeing is that if I switch from a digital channel to an analog channel, I see the same problem of snow. This makes me think that the DVB is not getting closed fast enough. That might cause a problem if I every try to record two shows back-to-back the first being digital and the second being analog (most likely S-video as that is where the satellite comes in.)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

You won't see this problem with the S-Video or composite in. In fact, you can capture S-Video/Composite and DVB digital at the same time. The problem is that there is only one tuner, so you can't tune to two different channels at the same time.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:08 am Reply with quote
cfr131

xyzzy wrote:
You won't see this problem with the S-Video or composite in. In fact, you can capture S-Video/Composite and DVB digital at the same time. The problem is that there is only one tuner, so you can't tune to two different channels at the same time.

Thanks, that will help. I need to figure out how in Myth to flag a conflic because it thinks there are two tuners? and also to fix the problem of switching between a digital channel and analog.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

cfr131 wrote:
xyzzy wrote:

Thanks again.

Great news, I've not tried this yet. I may soon need to though. Nice to see it's being sorted out.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote
BotKeeper

I have plain old NTSC working with my 5500. I don't have all the steps handy. Here goes:
    Used OpenSUSE10.1
    2.6.16 Kernel didn't have correct drivers
    Months ago, I manually merged newer drivers into 2.6.16 kernel & build a working system
    Tonight, I built a kernel from the 2.6.18_rc4-4 in the factory tree. This works GREAT without any changes
    I believe I had to make changes to udev rules as provided in README with the software that I received from the card.
Sorry I don't have better details at this time.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:18 pm Reply with quote
cayblood

BotKeeper wrote:
I have plain old NTSC working with my 5500. I don't have all the steps handy. Here goes:
    Used OpenSUSE10.1
    2.6.16 Kernel didn't have correct drivers
    Months ago, I manually merged newer drivers into 2.6.16 kernel & build a working system
    Tonight, I built a kernel from the 2.6.18_rc4-4 in the factory tree. This works GREAT without any changes
    I believe I had to make changes to udev rules as provided in README with the software that I received from the card.
Sorry I don't have better details at this time.

PLEASE post a more detailed description of your installation steps, especially the part about udev rules. It would really help the rest of us out!

Thanks,
Carl
Does anyone at all have working NTSC on the HD-5500?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup