pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> pcHDTV in suse 10.1
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
pcHDTV in suse 10.1
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote
proudhawk

ok,
it took me 3 days (thats right folks, THREE DAYS) and now I finally have a clean build of the drivers for the pcHDTV-2000 card.

This is pretty much how I did it.

1. a clean install is a must (no extra multimedia packages)
a. select a basic system configuration
b. add the dvb startup script (its in yast software manager)
c. configure the card as you normally should with this new install
- configure bt878 driver
- configure pcHDTV-2000 TV (tuner select will be phillips 1236d dual)
- conigure DVB (select tuner phillips 1236D atsc/ntsc dual)
- DO NOT SCAN CHANNELS HERE. it will not work
d. install the system (this mat take anywhere from 2-5 hours depending on your internet connection.

2. after install, restart the machine and check dmesg. if all is well, it should have detected your bttv and tuner.

at this point, you need to run yast again, find system and runlevel editor.
place runlevel editor in Expert mode, scroll down to dvb and make sure it is set to run in runlevels 2,3 and 5.

save configuration

now, at this point, you can use any of the tv apps installed on the system. be aware though, as of kernel-2.6.16, the NTSC portion of this card will not work (driver is broken and pchdtv.com has yet to issue a fix for the problem).

now that everything is setup, you just need to install some of the development packages you will need.

these will be needed:
gcc
gcc++
gcc-objc
automake
autogen
autoconf
build
ccache
cpp
expert
flex
gperf
indent
libtool
make
m4
nasm
kernel-source
kernel-syms
commoncpp2 (and its -devel)
perl (it may seem like you don't need this, but with the mythtv setup to follow, you will!)
zlib-devel

make sure the following hardware items are installed (if you did not select them in the initail software selection):
dvb <- this one is a must!
dvbd
dvbtune
v4l-tools
v4l-conf

there are others that will be automatically selected as a result of these.

after these are installedm you will need to acquire the latest pchdtv cdrom (can be gotten here: http://www.pchdtv.com/downloads.html).

extract that file to a build dir and then follow the directions contained within for building for your distro (such as suse 10.x).

if all goes well, you should have a card that works (so far, I haven't been able to get any digital signals recognized, mostly owing to the fact that most of the stations were probably off air last night in my area due to storms)

still. the ntsc portion of this device needs work (I had it working under previous drivers for suse 9.3 and that was a PITA but they worked). my suggestion for those that want NTYSC working again, pester the developers about it. write letters to the company and be NICE about it.
pcHDTV in suse 10.1
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics