pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> HD5500 / Fedora Core 5 / Kernel 2.6.17
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD5500 / Fedora Core 5 / Kernel 2.6.17
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
umgrue

So I had a fresh Fedora Core 5 install yesterday with the 2.6.15 Kernel. The installation instructions to install my 5500 said to update the kernel to at least 2.6.16.

Well, I am unable to find any available package for 2.6.16, and a package update puts me up to 2.6.17, using which causes this error when trying to compile the v4l-dvb driver:

CC [M] /home/rich/v4l-dvb/v4l/dvb_ca_en50221.o
CC [M] /home/rich/v4l-dvb/v4l/dvb_frontend.o
CC [M] /home/rich/v4l-dvb/v4l/dvb_net.o
/home/rich/v4l-dvb/v4l/dvb_net.c: In function 'wq_set_multicast_list':
/home/rich/v4l-dvb/v4l/dvb_net.c:1058: error: 'struct net_device' has
no member named 'xmit_lock'
/home/rich/v4l-dvb/v4l/dvb_net.c:1083: error: 'struct net_device' has
no member named 'xmit_lock'

make[3]: *** [/home/rich/v4l-dvb/v4l/dvb_net.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/rich/v4l-dvb/v4l] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2157_FC5-i686'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rich/v4l-dvb/v4l'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Has anyone exerienced this on a freshly updated Fedora Core 5 box? Any suggestions? Some forums indicate that xmit_lock doesn't exist in the newer version of net_device.

What do do...what to do...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

This is caused by the same thing as the FC 2.6.15 kernel problem.

FC calls their kernels 2.6.X, when they are really modified versions somewhere between 2.6.X and 2.6.X+1. The xmit_lock thing is a change that isn't in 2.6.17. It's not going to appear until in 2.6.18. But FC5's kernel has it anyway, even though their kernel says it's 2.6.17.

With FC's mutant 2.6.15 kernel, it has a change with 'struct mutex' that didn't appear until 2.6.16.

The v4l-dvb sources try to be backward compatible, but they just have the kernel version to go on. Since FC uses a mutant kernel that has stuff from different versions, it doesn't work.

You can fix this one problem by editing dvb_net.c and changing the 2,6,18 checks that appear near xmit_lock to 2,6,17. Remember to use commas, not periods.
Thank you!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:04 am Reply with quote
umgrue

I will try this and keep you posted. Thank you very much. I'll also post the patch code of the changes I make for other Fedora users.
Can't find line
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
tedet

I am having the same problem. I looked in the file dvb_net.c - I can't find the line that states 2,6,18. I guess that perhaps some bit of the code checks the kernel version, but I don't know which bit. Can you perhaps give the line that needs to be changed?

grep -ri "2,6,18" * from the v4l-dvb doesn't return a result
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

You are probably not using the newest sources from linuxtv.org. An old version of the drivers will often not work with a new kernel. The kernel changes and the drivers need to change to keep up.
Driver Source
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
tedet

I am using the driver from the pchdtv download section; i thought that this was the needed code to build the mod for the 5500;
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:21 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

The sources from linuxtv.org will support the 5500 too. The pcHDTV sources have additional support for reporting the SNR and signal strength that's still lacking from the linuxtv.org drivers. But, they are older and so are missing other things, like support for the newest kernels.

If you want to port the pcHDTV drivers to the newest kernel, you can probably just delete the lines that have xmit_lock in them from the dvb_net.c file. You will never use anything in that file, so as long as it compiles it doesn't matter if it works or not.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
electroniceagle

I was able to get this to work by renaming xmit_lock to _xmit_lock and everything compiled just dandily.
HD5500 / Fedora Core 5 / Kernel 2.6.17
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup