pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> HD5500 KnoppmythR5C7 OTA
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD5500 KnoppmythR5C7 OTA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
pilesofspam

I've been searching this forum for days looking for the right answer, so I thought I'd post:

What I want to do is set up a Knoppmyth box that captures my available HD OTA channels (from my house, I can catch at least 10 channels at 85% or above with an old pair of UHF rabiit ears) and use the Svideo input to capture my dish network stuff.

So lets start small- I haven't been able to get the HD stuff working yet, although I am able to run an atscscan (the pchdtv version) with a solid lock on the channels I'm expecting. I'm further able to verify those channels with dtvscan, which starts at about 80, and boosts to 100% after a few seconds (there's a few channels that top out around 94%). Knoppmyth installs fine, but pretty much trashed the machine when I tried to compile and upgrade a new kernel (this resulted in a reinstall). It was late, so I may have been responsible for this.

Here's the problem: Running a scan in MythTv, and it picks up the ntsc channels but won't see anything on the ATSC channels. i've tried with both the pchdtv tuner type as well as the DVB tuner type, and I'm running the latest pchdtv driver. When I specify a certain channel, (or datadirect the list) the channel numbers come up, but I won't get a lock.

Any ideas? I'd be happy to post a solution here if I find it, but now I'm not getting anywhere fast.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:44 am Reply with quote
nybbler

Don't use the PCHDTV tuner type; that's obselete. Make sure you re-installed the pchdtv drivers after re-installing your kernel. Post your card and channel source setup.

It definitely works; I was able to do it before I started tilting at the windmill of QAM.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
pilesofspam

Thanks nybbler- I'll get that info up tonight or tomorrow. I tried with both the pchdtv tuner type as well as the dvb tuner type. I started over with a clean install of RC7 late last night, and I'm finishing it up now. Before I even configure anything, I'm switching back to runlevel 3, installing the newest nvidia drivers, and installing the new kernel. Once I have everything reconfigured to where I think it should be, I'll post the pertinent info.

Except for the hd5500, which I think I'm going to like, I'm really close to knoppmyth reference hardware (nforce2, amd2200+, chaintech AV71, Geforce 6200)

Thanks again.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
pilesofspam

Alrighty- I went through the process of installing Knoppmyth from scratch, but stopped when it got to mythtv-setup (I just escaped out). Download all the drivers you need NOW while you still have a working internet connection. For me this means Nvidia, madwifi and pchdtv. At that point I dropped back to runlevel 1 (runlevel 2 leaves X up!?) and upgraded the kernel (the only kernel options I changed are removing the smp support since I don't have a dual core).

After that, I rebooted, at which point X crashes expecting good nvidia drivers, and there's no internet in my case since I have a madwifi supported wireless card. Quick nvidia re-installation, madwifi compile and install, and pchdtv driver compile and install, and a reboot.

Everything comes up fine, but we now have to leave mythtv frontend, kill the backend and run mythtv-setup. Choose the tuner type as dvb, and get your channel list from datadirect as well as run a scan. You'll have to eliminate the duplicates.

Rather than figure out what's supposed to be running, reboot! Comes up fine. I've got stunning HDTV OTA and analog OTA in all its stunning glory. Next, I'll try to add Dish network standard def support over the svideo.

Just one problem- I'll order a good antenna to help this, but I get skipping (pauses) in the video and audio on poor signal strength channels (<85%). I'm not getting any buffer underrun messages in var/log/messages, does anybody know what causes this? I'm even seeing it rarely on the good channels, although I'm currently chalking these, also to a poor antenna. I'm not running xvmc, and I've only got a 2200+.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
pilesofspam

Quick followup- Got DIsh working too- turns out you get back to mythtv-setup and then 'Add another tuner', this one set to NTSC, analog V4l device (note- its still the HD5500). Naturally, ya gotta do the irblaster stuff, but if you're reading this, you've probably done that before.

Few oddities: Sometimes on some channels the sound gets boogered UNLESS you enable the OSD, most of the time its the opposite. I can live with this, but I'm hoping for improvements.

Post here if you want me to expand on any of this.
HD5500 KnoppmythR5C7 OTA
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup