pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Driver Issues -> hd5500 & PPC
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
hd5500 & PPC
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
kevdig

Hi,

I have an HD5500 in my PowerMac (Gigabit Ethernet, PowerLogix dual 1.1 GHz G4) running YellowDog 4.0. Kernel is custom 2.6.17.7. After stumbling around and finding the minor numbers for the stuff that is supposed to be in /dev/dvb/adapter0 (frontend0, dvr0, demux0, and net0) in another post, I have gotten the dtvscan thing to work (all channels seem to be there). I can also get dtvsignal thing to work. Is this a good sign that the driver half of the equation might be ok on PPC?

Can someone recommend some docs to figure out how this all fits together? How do DVB and V4L interact?

I am reasonably certain the current video card (ATI Rage 128 Pro) is inadequate. Can someone recommend a good one?

As an aside, if anyone can suggest some sources for information on devfs and/or udev I would appreciate it.

kevin
HD5500 & PPC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Samoth

I would reommend a NVIDIA card. They are pretty good bang for the buck and have nice linux drivers.

As far as your V4l and DVB question...I dont really know. I do know that you need both the cx8800 and the cx88 kernel module loaded. the DVB device is /dev/dvb/adapterX and the analog(NTSC,cx8800) device file is /dev/videoX.

I have my DVB portion working on a custom 2.6.17.4 kernel with a HD5500 but I am still working on the NTSC reception.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
animefreak3

hello kevin, I started a powerpc thread over here:

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1569&sid=165fec8db6f8b248faaca050f2f5e37f

I think DVB is now a subset for the new V4L2.

I can report that on my G5, it almost all works from a straight stock opensuse install. I was wanting NTSC, as ATSC adoption here is limited. They report now that NTSC has been fixed for 64bit archs, but I've not had time to see for myself. TMK 32bit has always been reported to work fully, so your G4 might be all you need? Good luck.
hd5500 & PPC
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Driver Issues