pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Nvidia 4200 to 5200
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Nvidia 4200 to 5200
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:09 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I started using the pcHDTV card with an Nvidia 4200 with 4X AGP. It worked but not very well. It used a lot of CPU even when using xvmc. My 2.1 Ghz Athlon couldn't keep up when the local station would allocate their entire ATSC bandwidth to a stream (like during the Superbowl). There were also some other annoying problems. The blue screen overlay bug drove me nuts and xvmc would get jumpy and confused when other X applications were writing to screen.

I upgraded to a Nvidia 5200 card yesterday and it's solved all of the problems I was having. It's 8X AGP and xine uses less than half the CPU it was using with the previous card. I can finally use the computer while watching HDTV now. I moved screens around trying to cause the overlay bug but it didn't happen. The installation was easy. I didn't need to rebuild the driver and xine had no problem using xvmc with it. The new card doesn't have a fan which I now realize had been terribly noisy. I may still hit the overlay bug but moving the screens around was smoother and that seemed to be related to the bug.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:54 am Reply with quote
mk500

I have a AthlonXP 2600 (running at 2.1Ghz) and a 5200. So far I haven't been able to watch HDTV without a lot of jerkiness. Sounds like you are having better luck than I am. Can you tell me the version of xine you are using and the settings you are using?

Also, I'm down-scaling since my screen is only 1024x768 right now.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I'm using a butchered version 0.92 version of xine. I think I added changes from more recent versions of xine to the xine-hd version although I don't know if they improved things.. It broke the channel changing buttons but I can still set the channel on the command line.

I have the buffering set very high, something like 50,000. Some times I'll use xv instead of xvmc. xvmc tends to get jerky when other processes are accessing the display but it's fairly smooth when it's the only one. It still gets a little jumpy in 60p pans. I usually renice xine to -10. I have my display set to 1920x1200something.

Make sure you're using the card at 8X AGP.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:45 pm Reply with quote
inkling

mk500 wrote:
>I have a AthlonXP 2600 (running at 2.1Ghz) and a 5200. So far I haven't been able to watch HDTV without a lot of jerkiness. Sounds like you are having better luck than I am. Can you tell me the version of xine you are using and the settings you are using?

>Also, I'm down-scaling since my screen is only 1024x768 right now.[/quote]

Athlon 2000 here, ti4800se at 4x. kt333 chipset.

HDTV CPU usage is 67-75% at 960x544. I also do not have monitor that can do 1920x1088.

SDTV CPU usage is like DVD, from 1-9% usually around 2% or less, using Xv output.

I don't use XvMC because it's apparently broken, for my rom or chip version, hard to guess which. It works for a litle while, not much benefit on my setup from what I can tell, and then locks up.

When XvMC was working, it only seemed to drop usage to 55-66%, so it wasn't a big advantage, certainly not enough to suffer lockup/reboot for.

The breakage seems to be independent of the xine version, because it's failed on every version I've tried. Some take longer but eventually they die.

XvMC has a nasty tendency to lock the box up.
We're talking within 24 hours of compiling it.

Xv normal overlay only goes blue screen occasionally, usually when moving it around, as previously noted.

xine-hd using Xv can go days between acting up. Haven't seen it blue screen all week, but i'm sure it will next week, and probably 10 times in a row :>

Maybe my stuff is all broken and I don't know it?

-ink
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:49 am Reply with quote
jl

inkling wrote:

Athlon 2000 here, ti4800se at 4x. kt333 chipset.

I'm pretty sure XvMC is not available on 4 series cards. Only 440MX and 5200 and above.

That might be why XvMC does not help you at all.

I know for me upgrading from a Gefore 2MX to a 5200 made a huge difference. Completly unusable to working well. This is on a 1G duron, with PC133 memory. Display is still only a 25" analog TV so I don't know how higher reolutions will change this.

JOSH
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I'm spooked to hear that the 5200 has the blue screen overlay problem too. I've tried everything to cause the problem in the usual ways like moving the screen around, resizing it over and over, and popping up windows with slow applications over it, and haven't caused it yet. I guess it only happens when you really don't want it to.
Nvidia 4200 to 5200
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics