pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Time Warner HDTV Digital Cable using a HD-5500 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Time Warner HDTV Digital Cable using a HD-5500
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
hehaha

I just bought a HD-5500 PcHDTV card and was a little confused reading the FAQ and the forums. Can I bypass my Time Warner cable box and hook up my cable from the wall directly to my HD-5500 card and watch HDTV? If I can't see the HD channels, will I be able to see the digital channels, and how about the analog channels?

Also, is it possible to watch and record channels manually without having an Internet connection? The reason is that I need to get a wireless card that is supported under linux.

Thanks in advance for answering. There just seems to be a lot of contradicting information out there.
Re: Time Warner HDTV Digital Cable using a HD-5500
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

hehaha wrote:
I just bought a HD-5500 PcHDTV card and was a little confused reading the FAQ and the forums. Can I bypass my Time Warner cable box and hook up my cable from the wall directly to my HD-5500 card and watch HDTV?

Pardon the lawyer-ish asnwer but, that depends...
You should be able to watch any stations your cable provider doesn't encrypt. As to what those are, that depends on where you are and Time Warner's practices in that area. According to another post on the forum, Time Warner also uses 8VSB for their modulation type instead of QAM so you will need to get a little tricky to scan for channels you might receive.

hehaha wrote:
If I can't see the HD channels, will I be able to see the digital channels, and how about the analog channels?

Same answer to this one, the digital channels you can receive will be the non-encrypted ones which might include the HD ones or not. Does TWC send any analog channels on their digital cable? (i.e. can you tune in any channels with just a cable-ready TV?)

hehaha wrote:
Also, is it possible to watch and record channels manually without having an Internet connection? The reason is that I need to get a wireless card that is supported under linux.

Thanks in advance for answering. There just seems to be a lot of contradicting information out there.

There are a number of ways to watch and record channels, and your mileage may vary given your situation. pchdtvr is a simple way to record shows to watch later and I don't think it needs any kind of internet connection. (Just time, channel and duration) Xine player from xinehq.de now supports ATSC right out of the box using xine-lib-1.1.2. There are people here that use Mplayer for watching live and recorded shows as well.

HTH,

Rusty
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

I have the same situation...Time Warner digital cable, a single HD-5500 card.

I'm building a MythTV box...finally got Myth installed but can't seem to get it to find channels....dtvscan -q gives me 2 through 158, which are the SDTV basic channels plus a few more. The HD channels are 900 and up, and it's not finding those (this being with the cable only, not the box).

I actually do have an HD cable box (a Motorola 6200, which I understand can be tuned via the FireWire port) hooked up to the TV itself via the component outs (R/G/B). There is a cable out from the box, but my guess is that it doesn't put out HD resolution (or does it?).

How do you guys have yours set up to get HD through the cable box? Is it possible to get the HD channels directly through the cable only? Or does anyone have the freqs for the broadcast HD (not the pay channels like HBO) signals which are likely to be unencrypted, so I can get the tuner card to find them - best solution?

Do I need the PCHDTV card for HD and another card for the rest of the channels?

Also, which device do I use for Myth - /dev/video0 or /dev/dvb/adapter0?

Sorry for the noobie questions, but this is the first Myth box I've built. I've been all over the 'net and the HOWTOs, but haven't found the answers yet. It seems that the notion of HD and Myth is still pretty new.

Thanks for any help....Bob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
hehaha

I was wondering if you were able to get your box working? I think I have gotten my system to a point where I can recognize my pchdtv card, but I can't seem to get the rest of it working. I scan for the channels, but I can't find any...

So you were able to find any channels?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

hehaha wrote:
I was wondering if you were able to get your box working? I think I have gotten my system to a point where I can recognize my pchdtv card, but I can't seem to get the rest of it working. I scan for the channels, but I can't find any...

So you were able to find any channels?

I was at the point where I was able to do a scan to find channels - which it did - but I wasn't yet able to actually watch them yet; something else is still misconfigured.

Everything's on hold right now because the HDTV itself is down - it needs a whole new light engine, which won't be in for another couple of weeks Sad

I'd play with it using a regular monitor, but don't have any to spare right now...they're all being used elsewhere (kids' machines, my main work box, etc). The crappy one attached to my servers isn't worth the effort.

Will post an update once the TV is up again and I have time to mess with it. I'm wondering whether I should upgrade Myth to 0.20 before going any further.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote
hehaha

I got to the same point that you did. I was able to scan for channels, but was unable to see them. I have a Hauppage pvr150 in the same machine and I was able to get picture through the cable. So, I'm sure it will work, just some more tweaking to get it to display the video feed.

Let me know if you get it working. I'll let u know what I get accomplished on this side.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
Malibyte

OK all....help me out here.

My TV appears to be working now. So, I went ahead and upgraded Myth to 0.20a.

This is the setup:

AMD Athlon-64 2.4GHz chip, Gigabyte socket-754 motherboard, 2GB RAM, pcHDTV-5500, nVidia video card (6200 family), cheap Audigy sound card. Machine is talking to the TV (Samsung 61" DLP) in 720p (1280x720) via VGA input.

OS: Mandriva Linux 2006 for x86-64, latest updates, running Linus's stock 2.6.18rc5 kernel.

All of the MythTV 0.20a RPMs are for x86-64.

I have TimeWarner Digital cable with an HD set-top box (which I'm going to try and get them to swap for a DCT-6200, which has a FireWire output).

Right now, I have the cable split, with one going directly to the pcHDTV card, one to the TV's 2nd cable input, and one to the cable box.

OK...dtvscan -q tells me it can see channels up to 158. The HDTV channels are in the 400s and 500s. So - the card's working, and it does see channels, though apparently not all of them. Tvtime works...it sees the analog channels up to 98 (though I'm not getting sound...haven't had time to worry about that yet).

Now...I have MythTV 0.20a installed. I can't get it to find any channels at all!! It "times out" on all of them during the channel scan. I'm using Zap2It for channel listings, which Myth seems to pick up without any problem from their server.

This version of Myth includes support for the pcHDTV 5500. In mythtv-setup, it sees the 5500 at /dev/v4l/video0. I'm using kernel 2.6.18, which includes the necessary drivers.

I have tried doing the channel scan using the us-cable, cable-irc, cable-hrc, etc. settings with qam-256 - but MythTV can't find anything.

Could someone please give me a list of settings for mythtv-setup that are known to work?

Thanks very much...Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
AbEx

You need to be using the dvb3 card type not v4l when you setup the card in mythtv. I never had much luck with the 2.6.18 kernel. Better results with patched 2.6.17 and 2.6.19-rc3.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

AbEx wrote:
You need to be using the dvb3 card type not v4l when you setup the card in mythtv.

In 0.20a, mythtv-setup recognizes the 5500 as a v4l [cx8800] by default; if I try to select a dvb card, it doesn't see one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote
Malibyte

OK, I got it to scan in analog channels ( 2-78, and 98 ) (using the v4l option)....UGLY, but it's a start. Now, how do I get the card to see the digital channels??

Myth is now letting me choose a DVB card as an option. When I do that, it still only sees ATSC/analog mode.

dtvscan -q sees up to 158 or thereabouts...and there are a lot more available.

Right now, I'm using Linus's kernel version 2.6.18rc5 (has the drivers for the 5500 card). The latest stable version is 2.6.18.3; should I get this newer kernel (in other words, have they changed any of the drivers in the past month or so)?

Thanks...Bob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
jofficer

Malibyte wrote:
OK, I got it to scan in analog channels ( 2-78, and 98 ) (using the v4l option)....UGLY, but it's a start. Now, how do I get the card to see the digital channels??

Myth is now letting me choose a DVB card as an option. When I do that, it still only sees ATSC/analog mode.

dtvscan -q sees up to 158 or thereabouts...and there are a lot more available.

Right now, I'm using Linus's kernel version 2.6.18rc5 (has the drivers for the 5500 card). The latest stable version is 2.6.18.3; should I get this newer kernel (in other words, have they changed any of the drivers in the past month or so)?

Thanks...Bob

Just a quick thought, technically speaking the channels you are referencing for 500 and above, are not actually channels, but rather lower numbered channels that have been remapped to larger numbers (for simplicity actually).

It works, basically, like this:

An HD signal can send multiple streams in the same signal, and because it's a truly digital signal, they can be completely unique feeds. So what you get is something like channel 4, stream 1 through stream 4; which can be represented as 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4. Trying to explain that from TimeWarner's perspective to a layperson might prove difficult.

What TW does is to relabel 4.1 as 501 and 4.2 as 502 ... etc...

So technically speaking the channels you are looking for are most likely on the lowered number channels, but you'll need to look for them.

Also, as noted previously, the pcHDTV 5500 can only tune UNENCRYPTED signals, and at-least for the Milwaukee WI area (well... according to TW anyway) is only the rebroadcast OTA channels.

Someone else said it in another thread; although these cards are nice, they really aren't what most people are looking for, and quite honestly there isn't a card on the market (atleast not that I'm aware of) that will tune ENCRYPTED HD signals. When you find one let me know!

I think you're best bet is to use the firewire output from the Motorola box, as I hear that is truly the best way to get the HD shows you want to watch.

my 2 cents.
joey
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

jofficer wrote:

Just a quick thought, technically speaking the channels you are referencing for 500 and above, are not actually channels, but rather lower numbered channels that have been remapped to larger numbers (for simplicity actually).

It works, basically, like this:

An HD signal can send multiple streams in the same signal, and because it's a truly digital signal, they can be completely unique feeds. So what you get is something like channel 4, stream 1 through stream 4; which can be represented as 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4. Trying to explain that from TimeWarner's perspective to a layperson might prove difficult.

What TW does is to relabel 4.1 as 501 and 4.2 as 502 ... etc...

So technically speaking the channels you are looking for are most likely on the lowered number channels, but you'll need to look for them.

Also, as noted previously, the pcHDTV 5500 can only tune UNENCRYPTED signals, and at-least for the Milwaukee WI area (well... according to TW anyway) is only the rebroadcast OTA channels.

Someone else said it in another thread; although these cards are nice, they really aren't what most people are looking for, and quite honestly there isn't a card on the market (atleast not that I'm aware of) that will tune ENCRYPTED HD signals. When you find one let me know!

I think you're best bet is to use the firewire output from the Motorola box, as I hear that is truly the best way to get the HD shows you want to watch.

my 2 cents.
joey

Joey:

Well, I know this sounds crazy, but now I have the opposite problem. When I use the HD5500 as a DVB device (which is what I've read is the recommended way to do it), I can now scan QAM-256 streams (of which about 30-40 are unencrypted; I will have to remap them in the database, since they don't match up with the high-order channels in the guide, but that's OK). As a matter of fact, I am able to receive and watch four or five unencrypted HD channels, in addition to several, but by no means all, of the analog channels which are also present as QAM-256 streams. However, now I can't get it to scan in the low-numbered NTSC channels (there are about 60 or so). Some of these are not available as unencrypted QAM-256 streams.

So:

How do I get the card to scan in BOTH the QAM-256 and the NTSC signals? I'm sure that I must have something configured wrong in MythTV.

As far as the firewire, I will use that as a last resort - if I do use it, I no longer will be able to record one program while watching another, and might also lose the ability to record the HD channels in HD format, which was one of the main reasons I built this machine.

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:41 am Reply with quote
nybbler

If you're using 0.20, when you set the card up as a DVB device, you should see a button labeled "analog options". Click that, and you can set up the NTSC side of things.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
Malibyte

nybbler wrote:

If you're using 0.20, when you set the card up as a DVB device, you should see a button labeled "analog options". Click that, and you can set up the NTSC side of things.

nybbler -

I have set everything up there, but I can't get the NTSC channels. When I try to scan them, it sits there, does nothing (no progreass box, etc.). After I get out of mythtv-setup, I see this error:

Code:

2006-12-31 01:24:00.536 New DB connection, total: 3
2006-12-31 01:24:00.537 Connected to database 'mythconverg' at host: localhost
2006-12-31 01:24:00.537 sourceid 1 has lineup type: CableDigital
2006-12-31 01:24:00.650 SaveLineupToCache(CA04507:X) -- success
2006-12-31 01:24:00.665 Data fetching complete.
2006-12-31 01:24:09.195 Channel(0)::Open(): Can't open video device, error "No such file or directory"

I have set the device to /dev/v4l/video0; there is also a symlink, /dev/video0, which points to that file. Same for /dev/v4l/vbi0 and /dev/vbi0.

I have checked the box dealing with enabling the DVB tuner "on demand".

The analog tuner is working; I can use it with tvtime.

Here's the dmesg info:

Code:

Linux video capture interface: v2.00
cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.6 loaded
CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV
[card=47,autodetected]
TV tuner 64 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at 0x1fe
GSI 18 sharing vector 0xB9 and IRQ 18
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:09.2[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 185
cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:00:09.2, rev: 5, irq: 185, latency: 32, mmio:
0xe9000000
cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card
DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
DVB: registering frontend 0 (LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM Frontend)...
cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.6 loaded
cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:00:09.0, rev: 5, irq: 185, latency: 32, mmio:
0xe7000000
tuner 0-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (cx88[0])
tda9887 0-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found @ 0x43 (tuner)
tuner 0-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
tuner 0-0061: type set to 64 (LG TDVS-H06xF)
cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
cx2388x blackbird driver version 0.0.6 loaded

I can scan in the QAM-256 channels on the DVB side.

Aarrggh.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
Malibyte

Follow-up:

I found that I was able to get the analog channels by removing all of the capture cards and then re-configuring them in mythtv-setup. However, then the QAM-256 channels wouldn't re-scan. So I suppose it's a question of which tuner gets accessed first is the only one which will scan. However, since I already had them in the database, that wasn't (at the moment) a problem. So, now I have all of the available analog and digital channels in the database; I simply have to go through in the editor and rename most of them.

Hopefully, it won't be this much of a pain when I need to rescan the QAM-256 channels for updates. Any suggestions?

I can switch between analog and dvb while watching TV - so that's working!!

Now...one more issue - I have picture, but no sound with the analog channels. I have a line-out from the 5500 card into the line-in on my sound card, but - nothing. Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks
Bob

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup