pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> What methods do you use for watching tv off the PCHD2000??
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
What methods do you use for watching tv off the PCHD2000??
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:43 am Reply with quote
n1hck

I am currently stringing together something like
signal /dev/dtv 19 & sleep 1 && killall signal && mplayer -tsprog 4 /dev/dtv
or
dtvstream -c 13 -p 4 -o /mnt/storage/hdbuff.ts & sleep 5 && xine /mnt/storage/hdbuff.ts && pkill -9 dtvstream && rm -rf /mnt/storage/hdbuff.ts

but on some channels that have multiple streams XINE in gentoo wont play the audio so I have to use Mplayer..

What are others doing for watching real time TV off the PCHDTV2000?

Thanks
Nick
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote

come on dotn be shy Iw ant to figure out what the best way to do this is!!!

Nick
shameless plug for pchdtvr
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:06 pm Reply with quote
inkling

Hi Nick,

I use pchdtvr to capture whatever programs I want to watch, then I use the playlist, in whatever media player I have, to point to those captures. Since they are full stream captures, I can pick the subchannel if there is more than one.

(edited: what I meant to say is for xine rc4 or 5 or whatever, they autodetect the main video and audio streams correctly, so the playlist method works unless you want other substreams to be displayed, like ABC/NBC weather or PBS regular listing, non-HD stuff; hence the scripts below. AFAIK subchannel info is not a part of the playlist info, but perhaps it should be.)

I use xine-hd 0.7 and scripts instead of the playlist because this lets me set the subchannel for the audio, where xine and other players seem to make a best guess. I prefer to specify exacly what I want, so i use xine-hd, with some custom scripts to do what I want.

This is important if you want to get something like 13.3 SDTV weather radar broadcast but all xine or mplayer will give you is the main 13.1 HDTV subhannel that it sorta auto-detected but maybe got wrong.

It causes some issues when it gets it wrong, like the video won't be timed right and player aborts because it used the wrong audio stream to time the video stream, or no audio, or other odd errors.

As for capturing: with a 200G hard drive, you can get about 21 hours of programs. pchdtvr overwrites as often as you tell it: Always, weekly, daily, or create file by date if you have terabytes free.

Instead of being chained to the program schedule, chain the computer to it. Then watch it later with xine when you have a break in your schedule.

You may use any other media player, of course, as long as it is robust enough to handle the inherent errors in broadcast transport streams.

NOTE: antenna tuning between channels may be required, so it's not totally hands off, for me, yet.

Since capture mode only uses about 1 or 2% CPU, there is plenty left over for whatever media player you have, or at least this is the plan.

This means you can watch it shortly after it starts recording. I usually give it a minute or so before starting the playback because I have my xine buffers set fairly high. Otherwise xine has to have the playback restarted because it ran out of file.
This is most noticable on low bandwidth video.

I've heard mythTV is nice, but it didn't appeal to me. I needed a console app that would survive X restarts, so I created pchdtvr.

CAVEAT: the gtk code does not survive X restart,
but it is disabled in the default compile.

Now that I've said all that, I should advise you that for the best video, you will need to make some custom modelines for X that reflect the requirements of the video modes you want.

I have xsd xhd xdd scripts for starting X with the right frequency set.

xsd is 59.94Hz 704x480p for PBS subchannel 2
* zoom is 640x480
* PBS is 480i, so has some slight artifacting

xhd is 59.94Hz 1920x1088i
* cheating with 960x544p
* zoom is 720x480 (or so)

xdd is 59.94Hz 1280x720p (most CRTs can do)
* zoom is 960x720

Zoom mode is for when they put 4:3 content up.
All of the above non-zoom modes are 'widescreen'.

As such, you may have to change the aspect ratio if your display has a hard time getting it right.

This is all for multisync CRT. I setup as close to 59.94Hz for all video modes as xvidtune would let me. LCD I can't help, yet.

For playing back the files, I made scripts for each resolution of playback, that would set the subchan, set the geom, and fullscreen it:

x 19.2 Voyager does xine -f -G 960x544 -c 19.2 /dtv/Voyager.ts
(my monitor can't do 1920x1088, so I use 1/4)

x1 13.1 Nightline does xine -f -G 1280x720 -c 13.1 /dtv/Nightline.ts

x2 8.2 Nova does xine -f -G 704x480 -c 8.2 /dtv/Nova.ts

If you start X in wrong mode or use the wrong script for playback of that video format, you get artifacts. Most times I type it right and it looks awesome, truly beautiful.

Other programs may need different scripting to get the subchannel correct, if you have to deal with multiple subchannels on occasion like I do.

I'm using xine-hd from CDROM that came with the card, and it seems to work well enough.

The newer xine doesn't have subchannel select.

pchdtvr isn't pretty yet, but it works well enough for me.

The latest stable console version is at:
http://www.nop.org/inkling/dtv/

Compile with -DGTK24 if you are very brave. I'm not taking bug reports on gtk stuff, yet. :>

Good Luck!

-ink

p.s. most streams aren't really worth the bother of extra processing thru dtvstream, since most of them are high bandwidth video. A subchannel of 704x480 at 29.97Hz is the only exception I know that is worth the bother since it can be 1/8th size of the main stream, otherwise you're only shaving a few megabytes for HDTV only.

I just cap em, play em -n- delete em.

It's all crap, but it can be amusing crap. :>
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:20 pm Reply with quote
brownraccoon

I use a shell script to store channel settings and generate the long commands required to watch tv using mplayer.

If you want to use xvmc you need to change the "-vo xv" option to "-vo xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc" and remove all of the cropping and deinterlacing settings.

dtvstream could be used instead of getatsc for more efficient recording. I would recommend adding a subchannel string to each channel defined.

Code:
#/bin/bash

if  echo "$2" | grep -q "file"  ;
then echo "Using    File    Mode" ;
FILEMODE=1
fi

CHAN=$1
DTVDEV=/dev/dtv
OPROG=mplayer
PLAYEROPTS="-fs -framedrop -vo xv"
FILE=$1
FILENAME=stream.ts

case $CHAN in
  21.1)
   echo "I'm channel $CHAN"
   FREQ=21
   CHOPTS="-tsprog 1"
   PICTOPTS="-vf crop=944:708:168:6"
;;
  21.1w)
   echo "I'm channel $CHAN"
   FREQ=21
   CHOPTS="-tsprog 1"
   PICTOPTS=""
;;
  21.2)
   echo "I'm channel $CHAN"
   FREQ=21
   CHOPTS="-tsprog 2"
   PICTOPTS="-vf crop=690:460:10:10,pp=lb"
;;
  26.3)
   echo "I'm channel $CHAN"
   FREQ=26
   CHOPTS="-tsprog 3 -aid 52"   # some channels need the audio pid specified for proper audio reception
   PICTOPTS="-vf pp=lb"
;;
  *)
   echo "Channel $CHAN not found"
   echo ""
   echo "Usage: $0 <channel> [file]"
   echo ""
   echo "   <channel>   Channel ID"
   echo "   file      Include "file" to save stream to disk while playing"
   echo "         Stream will be saved to: "$FILENAME
   echo ""
   echo " IMPORTANT: This script can only play shannels that are defined within itself."
   echo " Open this script in a editor for examples."
   exit
esac

if (($FILEMODE)) ;
then killall getatsc ; getatsc $DTVDEV $FREQ > $FILENAME & sleep 1 ; $OPROG $FILENAME $PLAYEROPTS $PICTOPTS $CHOPTS ; killall getatsc ; echo "Used File Mode" ;
else getatsc $DTVDEV $FREQ | $OPROG /dev/stdin -use-stdin -cache 8192 $PLAYEROPTS $PICTOPTS $CHOPTS ; echo "Used Fileless Mode" ;
fi

echo ""
echo "getatsc $DTVDEV $FREQ | $OPROG /dev/stdin -use-stdin -cache 8192 $PLAYEROPTS $PICTOPTS $CHOPTS "
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:52 am Reply with quote

I've been using MytvTV. I mainly record and watch later (PVRs truely change how you watch TV), but I do occasionally watch live TV with the setup as well.

It took me a little bit of futzing around to get subchannels working correctly (needed for PBS HD in Boston), but aside from that and an error in Zap2It's PBS HD listings, which got corrected, it's been fairly painless. I used KnoppMyth R4V3, and will probably reinstall R4V4 from scratch soon.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
mk500

Anonymous wrote:
I've been using MytvTV. I mainly record and watch later (PVRs truely change how you watch TV), but I do occasionally watch live TV with the setup as well.

It took me a little bit of futzing around to get subchannels working correctly (needed for PBS HD in Boston), but aside from that and an error in Zap2It's PBS HD listings, which got corrected, it's been fairly painless. I used KnoppMyth R4V3, and will probably reinstall R4V4 from scratch soon.

I have KnoppMyth installed also (R4V4.1), but have never been able to get it to record. I can watch channels and change channels, and my listings are correct. But, when it tries to record on schedule, it just says 0% signal in the terminal.

When you install R4V4, maybe you could make a few notes on changes you made after installing? It would be very helpful to me, and I'm sure others here.

I currently watch by recording with dtvstream, scheduled with cron, and then playing it with xine.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:25 am Reply with quote

Sure, I should be doing the reinstall in a few days, and I'll post a followup then.
What methods do you use for watching tv off the PCHD2000??
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics