pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Second Choice ATSC Card
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 

What's my second choice ATSC card?
Fusion HDTV5 Gold
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
HDTV Wonder
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
AVerTV HDA180
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Kworld ATSC 110
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Use the HD-5500 Anyway
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Second Choice ATSC Card
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Denver-Ed

I have a working MythTV system (FC5) using 2 NTSC tuners. I want to add an ATSC card. From all my reading on the forum the 5500 is supposed to be the "premier" ATSC tuner card. However the majority of forum comments relate to problems with this card, mostly on the NTSC side. So at this point I am shying away from using this product.

I have Comcast analog cable, and in the fringe HDTV area. I hope to receive OTA with a 14db gain directional antenna.

What's my second choice ATSC card?

Thanks for your feedback. Ed
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I just added an Air2PC ATSC PCI card. It's an older model, but at $39.99 it can't be beat.
I actually got two. I have one in a MythTV box with a pcHDTV HD-3000, and the other in WinXP running Media Portal.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's site, Click on the ebay sign to get the deal:

http://www.bbti.us/

Paul

P.S. You have to understand, people don't usually come to this forum to tell us how happy they are with their cards. Even knowing that, I did not want to get another card from pcHDTV until more of the bugs were worked out.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:50 am Reply with quote
nybbler

If you're in the fringe area, you want a current-generation tuner. I believe that's limited to the NXT2004 and the LGDT3303. (there are plenty of other current tuners, but those are the only two I know are in PCI cards).

For analog, the saa7135 is sometimes praised over the cx88 chips.

Given that, here's a (perhaps somewhat out of date) list.

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_cards

One advantage of the NXT-based cards over the LG-based cards for your purpose is that the NXT-based cards usually have two inputs, one for analog and one for digital. So you may be able plug both antenna and cable in to them, though you can't use both at once. (it's also possible they're simply joined internally and it won't work)

If you have the room, you could purchase both a cheap NTSC card and an ATSC card. If you're stubborn and like frustration, you could get the pcHD5500 or another card supporting QAM, and get the digital channels off your Comcast Cable connection. At least in my area, Comcast does carry the over-the-air digital channels on the analog service.
Second Choice ATSC Card
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup