pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers -> kernel: dmxdev: buffer overflow
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
kernel: dmxdev: buffer overflow
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I just started using the DVB drivers a month or two ago and now that I have the buffer overflow message turned on by default, I've discovered I'm getting lots of them It doesn't matter if I'm running X or not. Any significant system activity will cause it.

I'm using the latest v4l drivers (which I needed for the HD-2000 card to work) and I'm confused as to what the size of the buffer is. DVR_BUFFER_SIZE is hard set to 10*188*1024 in dmxdev.h, dvb_demux_open() seems to set the dvb ring buffer to a maximum of 8192 elements, then there's an ioctl called DMX_SET_BUFFER_SIZE which seems to have absolutely no effect. What do all these values have in common if anything?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

There are two different buffers, one for the demux device and one for the dvr device. Hardly any software reads from the demux device because the api is flawed, making it nearly useless. Most software uses the dvr device. You should look at the function dvb_dvr_open().
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Then the buffer size is fixed to DVR_BUFFER_SIZE and that ioctl to change the buffer size doesn't really do anything. I guess I'll try increasing it and see if that helps.

I was using the old ATSC dtv driver on a 2.4 kernel on a machine slower than this one for years and I really had to push the machine to cause either card to overflow. The DVB driver seems to require a lot more overhead. It improved after I increased the timeslicing to 1000HZ.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

The ioctl to change the buffer size does work, but it's for the demux buffer, not the dvr buffer. There is no ioctl to change the dvr buffer size.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Horray! Doubling the DVR buffer size to 20*188*1024 has eliminated the buffer overflows during general use so I at least have a way to get uncorrupted recordings. Tomorrow I'll see if I can save an uncorrupt stream while doing crazy things like removing a file or telneting to another machine.
kernel: dmxdev: buffer overflow
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers