pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Driver Issues -> 2.6.18 built in driver problem?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
2.6.18 built in driver problem?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote
inorkuo

has any one experienced degraded performance after upgrading the kernel to 2.6.18? i upgraded my system and now my pchdtv 5500 is having trouble displaying one of my hd channels that works perfectly when using kernel 2.6.17 and the drivers from the pchdtv cd. just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

Last edited by inorkuo on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:09 am Reply with quote
inorkuo

so after much googling i discovered that my problem is not with the pchdtv driver. my nvidia driver is corrupting the pchdtv mpeg stream. i saw this post on the nvidia forum http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77129 so i put my frontend/backend machine into init 3, i checked the picture on a frontend machine and the distortion i was seeing cleared up. when i did init 5 on my fe/be machine, the picture went back to being distorted. now i just need to figure out what combination of pchdtv driver and nvidia driver will work on my system.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

There are a number of posts on this here. Search for 'nvidia'. You might try the open source 'nv' driver, it doesn't appear to cause this problem, but is slower and and doesn't support opengl or xvmc.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
inorkuo

the nv driver isn't really a good option for me since i need to drive a 1366x768 resolution with this machine. i tried for a few days to get the nv driver to display this resolution and finally gave up and went with the nvidia driver. i feel like my only option now is to try to return this card and buy another hd-5000 since i know that it works with my setup.

xyzzy wrote:
There are a number of posts on this here. Search for 'nvidia'. You might try the open source 'nv' driver, it doesn't appear to cause this problem, but is slower and and doesn't support opengl or xvmc.
2.6.18 built in driver problem?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Driver Issues